BY vast resource of CFB knowledge-your two cents please | The Boneyard

BY vast resource of CFB knowledge-your two cents please

Should we all sing Kumbaya and just get along?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everybody wants GDL and/or Coach P fired. I'm not happy with production either.
My question is this:
In the last 25-30 years, has firing any coach (Head, OC, DC) mid way through a season ever had a meaningful impact on a season?
I'm interested in knowing if it "could" even make a difference.

Thanks Guys!

Respectfully,
CodyJ.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
When a program knows it will change a coach at year end, the number 1 concern for the university should be what is best for the players. Is it in their best interest for a coach to finish the season? In most cases it is, but not always.

I don't think we are even there yet. I think we have Pasqualoni through next year unless he loses 10 in a row or something like that. Deleone may be a different story. He might be forced out at year end.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Everybody wants GDL and/or Coach P fired. I'm not happy with production either.
My question is this:
In the last 25-30 years, has firing any coach (Head, OC, DC) mid way through a season ever had a meaningful impact on a season?
I'm interested in knowing if it "could" even make a difference.

Thanks Guys!

Respectfully,
CodyJ.

Actually, I don't want either fired.

I want to see us win the rest of our games and win the BE.

If we don't do that, I'll think about the coaching situation.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Here's the thing. To fire a College coach mid-season has program wide (Dare I say, University Wide) implications. It's not just the product on the field. There are also constant ongoing recruiting and fundraising efforts. And it would play havoc with hiring a new coach. Manuel cannot be viewed as one who undercuts. Also, as much of a business Big Time College football has become, these games are being played by impressionable young kids. They are not professionals.

It is pretty clear that changes need to be made. but at this point, a mere shake-up is in order, as opposed to a mid-season overhaul. Manuel is no longer in the MAC, he cannot afford to blow his credibility on that sort of move.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
CodyJ.

Actually, it worked for Michigan hoops in '89 and the Phillies (sorta) back in '83. Dunno about it ever helping in football, though...

Reaction Score
lol...I am not surprised the last option is the most popular.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Actually, it worked for Michigan hoops in '89 and the Phillies (sorta) back in '83. Dunno about it ever helping in football, though...

1) Michigan '89 was a different sitution. Freider took the ASU job and was dismissed. Steve Fisher hardly changed the team philosophy. Here, it is the philosophy that most people have a problem with.
2) A baseball manager has very little to do with what happens on the field. Also, the Phils were in 1st place when Corrales was fired. Pasq. has sniffed 1st place since he coached #5.
3) I'd say that 25-30 years casts too large of a net. With today's money and 24-7 news cycle, I think firing a coach at the HC, OC, DC level would destroy a college football program, and the athletic director.

Reaction Score
I think firing a coach at the HC, OC, DC level would destroy a college football program, and the athletic director.

You're about to get your answer. If the Ga Tech defense steps up under the new DC, then yes it can make a positive difference.

Reaction Score
I don't think we are even there yet. I think we have Pasqualoni through next year unless he loses 10 in a row or something like that. Deleone may be a different story. He might be forced out at year end.
P will not fire Deleone - they tried that at Syracuse - gave P the ultimatum about Deleone, so P "demoted" Coach D and appointed himself the new OC. And the next year Deleone was still the OC, he just didn't officially have the title. (and the offense was just as horrible to watch as when he did have the title)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fire him mid-season, and hire who exactly? Is there some genius in waiting who's ready to step in? If not, I think keeping the staff with a different "interim" HC (oh how we love that here on the BY) makes no sense at all and won't change anything on the field. It not that he's lost the team or they have quit on him, or he's a fool or a scandal waiting to happen. In this case, it's the very rare situation of a guy who's X's and Os stink. He's a good man for a different era.

Dump him at the end of the year, when we can once again try to find somebody who can lead us to a strong future. Hint to WM...not a guy so old he can't make it to the future. This program needs excitement. To be invigorated.

Reaction Score
UCONN won't duck around. P will most likely get to next season on his own terms and if the performance is not there he will be gone. There will be no GRob either.

Reaction Score
I'm not asking for them to be fired.

I'm asking for them to realize that what they're doing on offense isn't working, and therefore, make some kind of change. Simplify. Go with one QB, identify what works, and practice it til it's perfect, and run it on game day and make the defense beat you, not beat ourselves.

Stop the multiple formations and offensive packages that work just enough, to keep us struggling to be at .500 overall, perpetually week to week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom