BY Poll: What's YOUR top 10? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

BY Poll: What's YOUR top 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TroyHouse66

I'd be a bit careful about listing North Carolina as a participant in any NCAA athletics until the late-breaking news stories and legal cases are resolved...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well, I even quoted your above comments in my post to help you along, but for additional info the last 2 paragraphs referred to all those close wins, and you began the 3rd paragraph with "Seriously, there was nothing impressive about HOW they beat teams last year."

I didn't respond to your comments about strength of schedule, I responded to your comments about not winning impressively or squeeking past opponents. Finishing in the top 10 overall in scoring margin out of 340+ candidates cannot with any rationality be considered un-impressive, and the caliber of opponent doesn't really support your argument to the contrary either. Even if USC played a schedule full of the Sisters of the Poor and School for the Blind, but still beat them well enough to be in the top nationally in scoring margin average, well yes their opponents were weak but they still did NOT beat those opponents un-impressively. And as it was pointed out above overall USC's SOS was nearly top-25.

So the argument here is USC played a weak non-conference schedule, and played in an over-rated (and therefore weak) SEC conference, and didn't beat anyone "impressively", but finished 29-5 with a top-10 scoring margin and had an overall 26th-ranked strength of schedule. Does that sum it all up? :confused:
Yes and I quoted yours to help you along. I have no interest in arguing with guests on our board. Your very first post to me was quoting my comments and yours were filled with snark.

If you would actually go back and read all my posts on the subject, it would illuminate things for you, but apparently you chose to cherry pick.

My point was that SC was woefully overrated last year and was basically a borderline top 10 team at the end of the season. I'm not going to reply to everything you said because not only did you miss my points, but you are wrong that my comments do "not support my argument". It's about as clear as day, and seeing as you keep missing the point, there is no reason to further engage. Welcome to the BY. I hope your future posts are more coherent and logical!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
LOL, I guess some here are overly sensitive. I pointed out a pretty obvious contradiction to comments you made about South Carolina's season last season, and am noting that you choose not to correct them nor expound on the reason(s) why you made them, but instead you choose to take offense at my post. That's OK, I guess. You argue that USC was a "woefully overrated" team "last year and was basically a borderline top 10 team at the end of the season". My point from the beginning in response to you was that most knowledgeable people don't typically associate "woefully overrated" and "borderline top 10" in the same sentence with most collegiate organized sports. Unless that borderline top 10 team was regarded pre-season to run the table, go undefeated and win it all. Kinda like UConn was. USC was rated just out of the top 20 pre-season last season, and picked by the media to finish 7th in the SEC. I don't think they were overrated much at all by anyone beyond where they ended up, to tell the truth. Except by Gamecock fans like me, which can be understood...

I stated in my initial post in this thread that I did overrate USC last season, and that their #1 seed was undeserving, but "woefully overrated", and a team that struggled to beat it's opponents last season, as you implied earlier? But like I said, it's your opinion, and that's OK...
Overly sensitive? Ok, I guess that's your opinion. Offended by your post? Honestly, I'm not even sure what you are arguing about - but you throw out comments like "overly sensitive" and say that you "pointed out pretty obvious contradictions to my comments" and yet all I did was provide facts and then state my opinion.

There was no contradiction in my statements. I gave my opinion of course, but presented one set of facts after another. Either you didn't read all the posts, or didn't comprehend them. Instead you keep cherry picking a single statement and try to argue the merits of it.

Not sure what there is to disagree with in the comment of "woefully overrated". They were a 1 seed and lost in the sweet 16. Do you dispute that fact? And I'm not sure what "knowledgeable people" you posed the question to, but a 1 seed who squeaks past the first 2 rounds and loses in the sweet 16 is overrated, are they not? That means technically, they deserved to be ranked somewhere between 9 and 16. If you want to argue the minutia of semantics, that's up to you, but frankly I think it's silly.

And they were a team that struggled to beat lower level competition all season. You somehow seem to have ignored the teams I clearly listed that USC beat by single digits, none of which were close to top 25 teams IIRC. So yeah, I backed up all my opinions with facts, but you seem to just want to argue about my use of the word "woefully".

So in case you forgot, here’s what I said: The only legit top 10 team they played all year was Tennessee and they lost. Lost to UNC twice. Lost to aTm. Beat teams like Wintrop by 8, Arkansas by 4, Mississippi State by 7, Georgia by 11, and Auburn by 6. In the NCAA's they "squeaked" past CS Northridge, a 16 seed, by 15. Oregon State was an 11 point win. Most of those relatively close games were against teams that did not even sniff anywhere near the top 25.

So to avoid any further argument, I will amend my original comment. South Carolina was overrated last year. It was proven throughout the season as the beat average teams by single digits, and proven again as the were unimpressive in the 1st 2 rounds of the NCAA's, bowing out in the sweet 16. Are you satisfied now, or do you still have things you want to argue about? :p

Reaction Score
-Nice list, but I’m don’t entirely agree with some of your rankings here, Vowelguy:

-VOLFAN: #1? I don’t think there’s any question VOLFAN is quickly moving toward #1 on the Boneyard
in terms of quantity of posts. But quality? Way too many UTenn references. And it’s a shame; no question the talent is there, but obviously lacks coaching.
-CALPEDALER: You got him at #3? Sure, he’ll always be a favorite, because everybody absolutely loves what he’s done. But now it seems we never get to see enough of his work. Basically, he’s like Ball State.
-MARLEBOROGHTMIKE: Great seeing Mike getting lots of respect at #6. Like everyone else, Mike’s probably been enjoying The Boneyard’s spontaneous eruption into Rodney Dangerfield Week: “I met the surgeon general - he offered me a cigarette!”
-SVETBIRD: As I recall, this guy is the only one listed fanatical enough to actually keep at home his very own husky you gotta move him (& his dog) up the list.
-ICEBEAR: Careful. Don’t get lulled into underestimating this perennial favorite. He just seems to be changing things up early this season, throwing us off with primordial Polar Bear tactics... Laying low, blending in with the background, until somebody makes a threatening move here toward a husky, then outta nowhere… BAM!!,..CRUNCH!!! Where you used to be, is now just 5 gallons of red goo mixed in the slush. Polar Bears don’t hibernate.
-“THOSE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED”: Let me be the first to say I think it was a bold move on your part, not to kiss up to Mods and Admin, by keeping them off your list. I, for one, certainly hope you’re not the next one they make a public example of, stripping away your Trophy Points, and using them to stuff the pockets of another of Nans relatives. Let’s not even think about that.

;o)

You obviously have done no research, so I reject your analysis.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I cant wait til the UCONN-South Carolina game :cool:
I daresay this board will be hopping that week. I'm still tempted to fly up and spend a few days in the City and then go up to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Did anyone think that Baylor was going to beat three number 1 seeds in 2005 and win a National Championship? Did Baylor show anything the year before that would indicate that they were ready to make that leap?

Did anyone think that Maryland was going to win their championship with a bunch of young players?

Did TAMU show any sign the year before their championship that they were ready to take that leap?

It can happen...

Back in 2005 I entered and finished 2nd in THE ESPN TOURNAMENT CHALLENGE and had TN/Baylor/MSU/LSU in final 4 and had Baylor beating MSU in finals but somebody won the Challenge by correctly picking the score while I was 5-6 points off. Bummer!!!! My buddy & I went to that FF and saw Baylor come back 15 down on LSU and MSU come back 16 down to beat TN! I really liked those Baylor & MSU teams!

Reaction Score
I believe that formulation of any Top 10 list has to start with what has been proven..... because the best indicator of future results is past performance..... and furthermore, I see too much emphasis placed on reputations of young women who have3 not played 1 minute in college..... who is to say that they will adjust appropriately to the college game? Who is to say that they will be coached appropriately by a competent staff?

Along this thinking..... Muffet and ND should be a solid #2.....they have been there before...they have the horses.... and they have proven they can develo9p players..... I will believe SC and Tenn at #2 when they show it......

Reaction Score
It's great to see Texas in some of the Top 10 lists here but I think we're not quite there yet. I see the Horns Top 15-20 for now. Excited for the program though as it seems Coach Aston's hard work is starting to pay off.

Reaction Score
It's great to see Texas in some of the Top 10 lists here but I think we're not quite there yet. I see the Horns Top 15-20 for now. Excited for the program though as it seems Coach Aston's hard work is starting to pay off.
Hey your outlook for future years may improve even more if some of the top verbal commits start changing their minds when offered the $10k/yr stipend ;)

Reaction Score
Notre Dame, Ohio State, Louisville, UCLA, TA&M, SC, NC, TENN, Duke, UCONN. Maryland, Kentucky, Baylor, Texas, California.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Does anyone know the status of Imani McGee-Stafford ? Will she play at all this season ???

Reaction Score
Does anyone know the status of Imani McGee-Stafford ? Will she play at all this season ???
They don't know. Right after her surgery in early September they were saying maybe January. Today Karen Aston had a preseason press conference and was asked the question. She just said, "She's in rehab and we don't have a date." Check right after the 5:00 mark - video is on the UT site. Later on in the presser she says stuff like, "...regardless of whether Imani plays or not..."

Reaction Score
1. Geno Auriemma
2. Gary Blair
3. Lindsay Gottlieb
4. Kim Mulkey
5. Muffin McGraw
6. Dawn Staley
7. Holly Warlick
8. Jeff Walz
9. JP McCallie
10 Sylvia Hatchell

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm happy to see Baylor and Texas in the top 10 of most. I really hate that TAMU moved to the SEC. But it's still nice to see the state of Texas represented with three teams.

Reaction Score
I'm happy to see Baylor and Texas in the top 10 of most. I really hate that TAMU moved to the SEC. But it's still nice to see the state of Texas represented with three teams.

I think Blair's squad will be the best team from the Lone Star state this year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would put them in the 16-20 range..... they havent been that low since probably 1997-98

I plan to attend the Blue-White game this coming Sunday... and the exhibition the following Sunday. I'll get a better feel for things then.

After attending these games...... .. I'll put them higher than 16-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom