Butler Picks UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Butler Picks UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As we all know, the situation at UConn as regards the possibility of a given individual making All American is peculiar. It is almost inevitable that some players deserving of that honor will be passed over (as MoJet arguably was this year) simply because the voters are understandably reluctant to load the AA team up with players from the same team, because individual players' accomplishments do not stand out as sharply when they are surrounded by other outstanding players and because of the limited playing time, during the regular season, resulting from Geno's reluctance to stomp on the throats of hopelessly overmatched opposition. So Ms. Butler may not actually gain AA recognition. HOWEVER, based on everything I have read about her skills, physicality, coachability and willingness to do whatever it takes to excel, she seems to me to be an excellent bet.

As for Ms. Durr, I have no doubt that she is a truly exceptional player and I hope that she decides to become a Husky. I was simply taking exception to the statement her doing so was "essential" (or something along those lines; I can't seem to find Doc's original quote, and it may have come through stronger than he intended, or I may have just taken it as such._ My point is that I think we are quite likely to go undefeated for the next four or five years in any case. Nurse or Saniya or Sadie (who seems to be the forgotten recruit for BY posters) will, imho, be perfectly capable of handling any pg chores that need to be handled, both as backup to MoJet and as her successor. If Durr comes, so much the better. Frosting, as it were.
I'd characterize Asia Durr as "important," though perhaps not "essential."

But, as Tony points out in another thread, if she teams with Lou, the Mabreys, Brianna Turner, and Jewell Loyd, that would be a problem. And highly distasteful to boot.

Reaction Score
If she does track and basketball, her scholarship counts against basketball.
You are correct. As someone mentioned in a thread a while ago, the scholarship counts against the higher level revenue sport. It was established to prevent practices by Bear Bryant and other football coaches to shuffle football players to scholarships in other sports. It counts as a basketball scholarship.

Reaction Score
EZG given that we went 40-0 last year I think you just outdid TonyC! Wow!!!

elzorrogris just may be right if UCONN picks up Durr and Samuelson to go along with what they already have.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
EZG given that we went 40-0 last year I think you just outdid TonyC! Wow!!!

Whoa! Stop right there! Nobody outdoes Tony!

Although the fellows who have already fitted Morgan for five NC rings and anointed Natalie as an All-American are giving him a run for the money. Geez, Tuck is still rehabbing and Butler doesn't even have a jersey with a number on it and already it is being retired by the rafters at Gampel!

(I'm one of those very old guys who remember when Dewey beat Truman.)

Reaction Score
Geno-ista, solid role player at best. I don't think so. Starting center who will become an All American with Geno, CD, Marissa and Shea coaching her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Whoa! Stop right there! Nobody outdoes Tony!

Although the fellows who have already fitted Morgan for five NC rings and anointed Natalie as an All-American are giving him a run for the money. Geez, Tuck is still rehabbing and Butler doesn't even have a jersey with a number on it and already it is being retired by the rafters at Gampel!

(I'm one of those very old guys who remember when Dewey beat Truman.)
Wasn't Dewey Donald Duck's nephew? :)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Dewey's team didn't have the talent of the Huskies. They were complacent and underrated the opposition.

Reaction Score
We've asked that, but not heard any confirmation. I think Natalie develops more by redshirting plus 3 seasons of playing, though she'll be WNBA-eligible in 3 years.
Yes, but then she could be tempted to jump to the WNBA after only two years with us.

Reaction Score
I'd characterize Asia Durr as "important," though perhaps not "essential."

But, as Tony points out in another thread, if she teams with Lou, the Mabreys, Brianna Turner, and Jewell Loyd, that would be a problem. And highly distasteful to boot.

Agree, If we get Durr we're really clogged with guards, but more importantly it would block other schools from getting her.
But if we could only have one I'd prefer KLS; there's more room at the 3 & 4 positions.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Agree, If we get Durr we're really clogged with guards, but more importantly it would block other schools from getting her.
But if we could only have one I'd prefer KLS; there's more room at the 3 & 4 positions.

You know you are REALLY good when getting the number 1 player in the nation may just clog things up.

Reaction Score
If either Durr and/or Samuelson play for UConn it really would be an embarrassment of riches in 2015. UConn will already have Jefferson, Edwards, Nurse, Chong, Williams (Who my friend has watched play in person and says that her physical ability was as good as any HS player she has ever seen for a player her size), Ekmark (best outside shooter in her class), Collier (Another great all around physical talent. Competed in the 200m, high jump and triple jump in HS ), Boykin, Tuck, Stewart and Butler. If you add Durr and/or Samuelson that would be a team loaded with freshmen and sophomores but incredibly talented and yet still have great experience in the starting lineup (Jefferson, Stewart, Tuck and Butler).

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
So, as a group, has the BarnYard(sic) become more arrogant or more full of itself...inquiring minds want to know.

Reaction Score
I would go with OPTIMISTIC, following closely in the footsteps of Tony C. And can you you blame them ?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I wonder if a recruit like Samuelson (smart girl, family sis's go to Stamford) thinks (even a little)…?
Sure I'll play, no problem with minutes for a talent like me but don't they bloody have enough already?
Should I instead go to Notre Dame?
At least there'll be some spirited competition.

Just thinking.

Reaction Score
If either Durr and/or Samuelson play for UConn it really would be an embarrassment of riches in 2015. UConn will already have Jefferson, Edwards, Nurse, Chong, Williams (Who my friend has watched play in person and says that her physical ability was as good as any HS player she has ever seen for a player her size), Ekmark (best outside shooter in her class), Collier (Another great all around physical talent. Competed in the 200m, high jump and triple jump in HS ), Boykin, Tuck, Stewart and Butler. If you add Durr and/or Samuelson that would be a team loaded with freshmen and sophomores but incredibly talented and yet still have great experience in the starting lineup (Jefferson, Stewart, Tuck and Butler).

Reaction Score
Yes, but then she could be tempted to jump to the WNBA after only two years with us.

This shows how off the rails things are getting.
Only 1 player a year, tops, could get away going pro without 4 yrs of college. Stewie could. (CP did; Maya, DT couldve) Everyone else -- Loyd, MoJet, DD, ... -- would do their longterm career damage without getting more college coaching. And even Stewie will benefit greatly from the next 2 years.

I highly doubt Butler will be so spectacular that she will be able to leave without using all her eligibility.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Diamond is likely to jump to the pros when eligible. I see Natalie staying for a graduate degree. Just my personal wild guesses.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This shows how off the rails things are getting.
Only 1 player a year, tops, could get away going pro without 4 yrs of college. Stewie could. (CP did; Maya, DT couldve) Everyone else -- Loyd, MoJet, DD, ... -- would do their longterm career damage without getting more college coaching. And even Stewie will benefit greatly from the next 2 years.

I highly doubt Butler will be so spectacular that she will be able to leave without using all her eligibility.
There is a huge difference between jumping pro before four years of college and jumping pro after four years of college coaching, graduation, and three years of playing college ball.
I have no idea what Butler will choose to do, but if after her four years on campus (three at Uconn) she is good enough to realistically be a top ten draft pick then she might well choose that route. She might also decide she wants a masters in a field that Uconn is not strong in and decide to go to a different university for her masters degree and her last year of eligibility (not probably very likely.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom