Butler Picks UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Butler Picks UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
. . . Yes, she was 2nd team all-Big East and FOY. But the Big East isn't what it used to be. . . .

Those folks who may be looking at her freshman numbers and thinking "well it wasn't against
real great competition" can perhaps reflect on the fact that that most of the teams in the Big East
are as good or better than most of the teams in the AAC.

Whether Natalie will average a double double at UConn will, of course, depend on how Geno
wants to use her and what sort of offense he runs, and she will be surrounded by players who
can score.

But if she can do it against the Big East, she ought to be able to do it against the AAC if the
team needs her to. (I'm guessing that the team won't need her to)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think diminutive is a word I would use to describe a 5-10 guard.

SAWX: you lookin up at her maybe?? (If she's 5'10, I'd agree with you. As I already stated, I don't know how tall she is....had the impression she was a small dynamo like Jeff.) But, hey, if you need or want to take issue with what I say, have at it; but it would carry more weight with me if you'd respond to entirety of post vs. jerking s.t. out of it's context.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Those folks who may be looking at her freshman numbers and thinking "well it wasn't against
real great competition" can perhaps reflect on the fact that that most of the teams in the Big East

Whether Natalie will average a double double at UConn will, of course, depend on how Geno
wants to use her and what sort of offense he runs, and she will be surrounded by players who
can score.

But if she can do it against the Big East, she aught to be able to do it against the AAC.
I also think she was not playing with very good teammates so her stats are probably inflated by being the best or second best player on the team - she might conceivably be the 4th or 5th option at Uconn the first year she plays which could cut down her scoring, and there will be more players on her team competing for rebounds so those numbers might also be lower. The other side is her assists might go way up!
That is not to disparage what she was able to accomplish against decent competition, just to recognize that in basketball the team on the floor with you has a big effect on the numbers you put up. I think she will be a great addition to Uconn and could week develop into a dominant player.

Reaction Score
Am I right in thinking that she can be introduced with the rest of the team at next Fall's
first night and participate in any or all of the first night activities?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
SAWX: you lookin up at her maybe?? (If she's 5'10, I'd agree with you. As I already stated, I don't know how tall she is....had the impression she was a small dynamo like Jeff.) But, hey, if you need or want to take issue with what I say, have at it; but it would carry more weight with me if you'd respond to entirety of post vs. jerking s.t. out of it's context.

Sawx took nothing out of context at all. He called you out fairly by challenging your use of "diminutive" to describe a 5'10" player.

Reaction Score

Who said anything about competing against the AAC? (Which is not a high bar, or even low bar, anyway.)
My comment was only in reference to the All-American talk.

Reaction Score

How did I take anything out of context? I just corrected you calling a 5-10 guard "diminutive".

T

TroyHouse66

sawx:
<<I don't think diminutive is a word I would use to describe a 5-10 guard.>>

Don't worry, x.
By the time we run her across the Boneyard a few times, SHE'LL think she's 5-7... (5-8 at the most)... LOL

Reaction Score
Am I right in thinking that she can be introduced with the rest of the team at next Fall's
first night and participate in any or all of the first night activities?

This year Rodney Purvis who is a transfer from NC State on the men's team was introduced and competed in the scrimmage so I would think that Butler would also be able to next year.

Reaction Score
I presume you were leaving out Pulido and Lawlor because with the two walk-ons, the potential* roster for 2015-2016 has 13: Boykin, Butler, Chong, Collier, Edwards, Ekmark, Jefferson, Lawlor, Nurse, Pulido, Stewart, Tuck, and Williams. If one or two others commit to UConn for 2015, it appears to me that Geno would have his largest roster in many a year.

*I cautiously use the term "potential" because the oral commitments are not yet "written in stone."
I believe Pulido has a track scholarship

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
NBMB: well, MIL certainly know a lot that I don't. And I do think he has connections!
You guys make me laugh. I don't like to say bad things about anyone, but I must say that you are mistaken. :)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Or after 1 semester at UConn. She was injured as well.

Oh, the allure of Netball! :)

Funny Milford
She played a little netball, pro Basketball in Australia
And then disappeared.
Can't find news of her anywhere
As a former personage in the Kiwi arts scene, I tried to keep her in view.
Impossible.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Who said anything about competing against the AAC? (Which is not a high bar, or even low bar, anyway.)
My comment was only in reference to the All-American talk.

All-American was mentioned once by TonyC (not much new there) and once by Wbbfan1 in this thread. In another thread I posted John A's tweets which quoted Seton Hall Coach Bozzella as saying Butler "could be" an AA. The vast majority of posters are very excited she chose UConn and believe she'll be a big contributor.

wet-blanket.jpg

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Or after 1 semester at UConn. She was injured as well.

Oh, the allure of Netball! :)

Good memory. McCormick had an injured achilles and returned to New Zealand for surgery early in the spring semester. A few months later Geno announced that she wouldn't return.

Reaction Score
If she does track and basketball, her scholarship counts against basketball.
I'm not sure how that would work if she has a track scholarship and was helping out the BB team as a walk-on. I guess my point was with the track scholly already paying her tuition Geno wouldnt have to offer one.. Again, not sure how it all works.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how that would work if she has a track scholarship and was helping out the BB team as a walk-on. I guess my point was with the track scholly already paying her tuition Geno wouldnt have to offer one.. Again, not sure how it all works.

Not sure of the precise rule, but my understanding is that when a scholarship holder participates
in two sports, the scholarship counts against the higher ranked sport. Basketball outranks Track.

Reaction Score
Not sure of the precise rule, but my understanding is that when a scholarship holder participates
in two sports, the scholarship counts against the higher ranked sport. Basketball outranks Track.

Correct.
This is to prevent a team from trying to get around the scholarship limit in basketball (or football) by giving scholarships in other sports to BB players.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
If she does track and basketball, her scholarship counts against basketball.

Firstly, Vowelguy's point is correct. Basketball is determined/established/decreed (don't know the proper word to use) by the rules to be a major sport and multi-sport athletes scholarships count according to the following rules:

Rules for multi-sport athletes

The NCAA also has rules specifying the sport in which multi-sport athletes are to be counted, with the basic rules being:[28]
  • Anyone who participates in football is counted in that sport, even if he does not receive financial aid from the football program. An exception exists for players at non-scholarship FCS programs who receive aid in another sport.[29]
  • Participants in basketball are counted in that sport, unless they also play football.
  • Participants in men's ice hockey are counted in that sport, unless they also play football or basketball.
  • Participants in both men's swimming and diving and men's water polo are counted in swimming and diving, unless they count in football or basketball.
  • Participants in women's (indoor) volleyball are counted in that sport unless they also play basketball.
  • All other multi-sport athletes are counted in whichever sport the school chooses.
So, since Pulido had a track scholarship and walked on (participated on) the Basketball team, her scholarship counts against the basketball allotment.

Here's where it gets confusing to me. Briana apparently left the track team. My guess (I never saw it explicitly explained) was that Geno agreed to cover her scholarship after leaving the Track team allowing her to devote all her energy to the basketball program. It's not clear to me what that implies down the road. I guess it depends upon the agreement. Was she given an option to return to track under scholarship by the track coach in her remaining years? Did Geno agree to grant her a scholarship for her remaining years if she stays on the Basketball team? What is her scholarship status going into her Junior year?

My guess is that has all been worked out but I have not seen an explanation anywhere as to what the scholarship plan is for Briana during her Junior and Senior years.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I believe she had given up her track scholarship.

Reaction Score
If we can sign just one more player or recruit heralded as a "potential AA" I suspect that the award will be renamed the "All Auriemma" award:)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
As we all know, the situation at UConn as regards the possibility of a given individual making All American is peculiar. It is almost inevitable that some players deserving of that honor will be passed over (as MoJet arguably was this year) simply because the voters are understandably reluctant to load the AA team up with players from the same team, because individual players' accomplishments do not stand out as sharply when they are surrounded by other outstanding players and because of the limited playing time, during the regular season, resulting from Geno's reluctance to stomp on the throats of hopelessly overmatched opposition. So Ms. Butler may not actually gain AA recognition. HOWEVER, based on everything I have read about her skills, physicality, coachability and willingness to do whatever it takes to excel, she seems to me to be an excellent bet.

As for Ms. Durr, I have no doubt that she is a truly exceptional player and I hope that she decides to become a Husky. I was simply taking exception to the statement her doing so was "essential" (or something along those lines; I can't seem to find Doc's original quote, and it may have come through stronger than he intended, or I may have just taken it as such._ My point is that I think we are quite likely to go undefeated for the next four or five years in any case. Nurse or Saniya or Sadie (who seems to be the forgotten recruit for BY posters) will, imho, be perfectly capable of handling any pg chores that need to be handled, both as backup to MoJet and as her successor. If Durr comes, so much the better. Frosting, as it were.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger