BSPN moving the goalposts... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BSPN moving the goalposts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We've had to beat Villanova, Iowa State, Michigan State, and Florida just to get the chance to play in the national championship game.

Kentucky has had to beat Wisconsin, Louisville, Wichita State, and Michigan just to get the chance to play in the national championship game.

These are the 2 best teams in college basketball right now, there's no way to argue that. What do they want to do, just play the regular season and then crown the team with the best record the champion? That's not how it works.

It's funny that everyone loves this tournament when it first starts, and claims to love upsets, and blah blah blah. And then you get a really interesting UConn Kentucky final, and now all of a sudden the tournament is a bad way to decide a champion.

ESPN wanted Florida V Louisville so damn bad. Well, f them.
They got the best of the SEC and AAC. What's the problem? Would they prefer Team of the Year be decided before the tournament, like Player of the Year and Coach of the Year?

Reaction Score
I guess the World Cup or should I say " La Copa Del Mundo" doesnt crown the best team either? I mean when Brasil finishes 2nd or 3rd place in South America nd goes on to win the world cup while España who didnt lose a game in the World Qualifiers gets knocked out by Mejico Concacaf Champ or Nigeria African champ or whoever.

Nobody says well Brazil championship is not legit because well they didnt face the all mighty power house España, who at the end only has won the world cup once and yet they are always one of the favorites.

Picture a marathon with no finish line, that fast runners are the favorite but as fast as they try to run they cant keep a lead on the other runners and sooner or later they start questioning themselves once they realize is not a sprint race. At the end only the strong survive, the ones with strong will, the ones who are tough mentally. the ones who dont put their heads down when things look oblique, who never give up and believe they can accomplish their goal like Coach Kevin Ollie say's " And that's what is all about"

If they change the way the NCAA Tournament is even as fkd the seeding is will we ever see a Butler, Vcu , Wichita State make a run like that again? of course not they will put more and more odds against them.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=g30DfxSU7XNB28eIehQjkg&bvm=bv.64367178,d.b2I

Reaction Score
You are being a little over sensitive. Every sports fan knows winning only 30 games (and counting) in D-I Basketball means you are simply a fluke. Hell, we only have 9 or ten wins against the RPI top 50. We only beat the number 1 team in the country twice....just twice. So ya see....we are certainly a fluke. Don't you feel silly now??? :cool:

...and if Duke was in the position UConn was in right now, the plaudits would be falling all over themselves giving praise before the alter of Coach K

Reaction Score
I guess the World Cup or should I say " La Copa Del Mundo" doesnt crown the best team either? I mean when Brasil finishes 2nd or 3rd place in South America nd goes on to win the world cup while España who didnt lose a game in the World Qualifiers gets knocked out by Mejico Concacaf Champ or Nigeria African champ or whoever.

Nobody says well Brazil championship is not legit because well they didnt face the all mighty power house España, who at the end only has won the world cup once and yet they are always one of the favorites.

Picture a marathon with no finish line, that fast runners are the favorite but as fast as they try to run they cant keep a lead on the other runners and sooner or later they start questioning themselves once they realize is not a sprint race. At the end only the strong survive, the ones with strong will, the ones who are tough mentally. the ones who dont put their heads down when things look oblique, who never give up and believe they can accomplish their goal like Coach Kevin Ollie say's " And that's what is all about"

If they change the way the NCAA Tournament is even as fkd the seeding is will we ever see a Butler, Vcu , Wichita State make a run like that again? of course not they will put more and more odds against them.
The World Cup has been decided on a few occasions by PK's.
I like our chances from the FT line.
That doesn't seem to change the fact that someone won or lost.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
'Best team' is an educated guess during the season and a 'losers refrain' after the tourney -- it's what you call the coulda, shoulda, woulda non-champions. When everybody's best team can't beat a seven seed, they don't get to be champions.

Reaction Score
Did they really say that college football gets it right? lol

Do they not realize that the supposed "best teams" in the country (UL, MSU, Florida) all lost to the teams in tonight's game? Settling things on the field/court is now a BAD thing?! LMAO.

Parity in college basketball is at an all-time high because so little of the talent stays in school. The result is messy situations like this. You can argue UK '12 was a historically great team (I don't think they were) but even if you do include them then there was one great team in the last five years. '10 Duke wasn't great, we weren't a historically great team in '11, Louisville last year wasn't anything all that special. Neither us or UK this year is historically great.

It used to be that you had to be a lock for the lottery to leave early. Then it became as long as you're a lock for the first round (a guaranteed contract) then you leave early. Now it's just a free-for-all, if you might be a fringe rotational piece in the NBA you're probably leaving early.

The other part is that college football and basketball are obviously very different sports.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Wait just a cottonpickin' minute. For years everyone has dumped on FB for not having a true champion determined on the field. The idealized model was the BB tournament.

Now, just because the committee can't add correctly tonight's winner isn't the best team? I am fairly sure that between the UConn and UK they beat nearly every legit contender to get here. Those they didn't were beat by either FL and WI. Neither team is backing in.

The interesting thing will be to see where the winner is ranked in the final poll. 2011 wasn't #1.

Reaction Score
Wait just a cottonpickin' minute. For years everyone has dumped on FB for not having a true champion determined on the field. The idealized model was the BB tournament.

Now, just because the committee can't add correctly tonight's winner isn't the best team? I am fairly sure that between the UConn and UK they beat nearly every legit contender to get here. Those they didn't were beat by either FL and WI. Neither team is backing in.

The interesting thing will be to see where the winner is ranked in the final poll. 2011 wasn't #1.
There were some years where maybe you could suggest that the best team didn't really win. And if you take it as a "whole season" sort of thing, sure.

But, as the tournament started, the 4 teams everyone picked were, in rough order: Michigan State, Florida, Louisville, Arizona.

UConn took out the first two, and Kentucky beat Louisville. Wisconsin--whom Kentucky beat--took out Arizona.

Winner tonight has earned it. Seedings mean nothing.

Reaction Score
So, SO stupid. They love, love, LOVE the "Madness" and then question the result that the madness provides ? How dumb is that ?

Maybe they should go back to the way football did it and let the championship be determined by the polls. WTF?

Reaction Score
I heard Jay Bilas on ESPN radio arguing that UK's seeding was wrong and "based on the metrics" they should've been about a 4 seed, but UConn's seeding was right. WTF?!?!

Reaction Score
I heard Jay Bilas on ESPN radio arguing that UK's seeding was wrong and "based on the metrics" they should've been about a 4 seed, but UConn's seeding was right. WTF?!?!

I heard that too from a couple of people on ESPN that UK was terribly under seeded. Apparently our 33 point loss to Louisville is more important than the rest of our body of work. I also don't understand how these same people will say Uk has had a more impressive run. If they were so terribly under seeded is it really more impressive winning on buzzer beaters than the teams that we soundly beat?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Like most (all?) of us, I've played, coached and watched sports for most of my life -- too close to 60 years worth. Every team that I've ever had an association with was motivated to take every opportunity to win, win, and win. I never heard anyone suggest as a goal that we want to be the team people think should've won. Is there a more complete definition of failure than to be best and not be champion?

Reaction Score
Mike n Mike are entertaining and thats about it. Theyre all about the NFL and CFB. Uconn and UK are the two best teams in the country right now and either one is a legit champion although UK will likely have to vacate it in a few years.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
look at who Kensucky lost to.........................................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom