Bryon Jones and Geremy Davis get NFL Combine Invites | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Bryon Jones and Geremy Davis get NFL Combine Invites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/02/uconns-byron-jones-putting-on-show-at.html

>>Later in the day Jones recorded the fastest 60-yard shuttle at the combine . His time of 10.98 seconds as he was the only player to break 11 seconds in the drill. His time of 3.94 in the 20-yard shuttle was third among defensive backs while he had a time of 6.78 in the 3-cone drill which was the fifth best among DBs.<<

As Jim Fuller points out... think UConn Pro Day is going to be SRO w/ NFL scouts to watch his 40?

Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/02/uconns-byron-jones-putting-on-show-at.html

>>Later in the day Jones recorded the fastest 60-yard shuttle at the combine . His time of 10.98 seconds as he was the only player to break 11 seconds in the drill. His time of 3.94 in the 20-yard shuttle was third among defensive backs while he had a time of 6.78 in the 3-cone drill which was the fifth best among DBs.<<

As Jim Fuller points out... think UConn Pro Day is going to be SRO w/ NFL scouts to watch his 40?

Wow:eek:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
RapSheet 10:46am via Tweetbot for iΟS
UConn CB Byron Jones, who jumped out of the gym, won’t run the 40 today. Still getting up to speed after surgery (really). Pro Day is 3/31

Interesting that Jones won't do a 40YD do to injury recovery, but chose to the 60 yard shuttle and cone drill, that have significantly more cutting and stopping.

Reaction Score
TOS has this info from Byron's commit profile. Anyone know of any other 40 times he has run?

• Ht:6'0"
  • Wt:175 lbs
  • 40: 4.57 secs
  • Vertical:37 inches
  • Class:2010 (High School)

Reaction Score
NEPD_Loyko 10:28am via TweetDeck
Just heard #UConn CB Byron Jones SHATTERED the Broad Jump Record with a 12'3" leap

CFBMetrics 10:30am via Twitter Web Client
NFL Combine -- DB Byron Jones UConn sets a 10+ year high with a 12'3" Broad Jump

ChrisBurke_SI 10:31am via Vine - Make a Scene
Byron Jones with a 12'3" broad jump. Mercy.
https://vine.co/v/OQIWVPBW3BU

gday85 10:32am via Twitter for iPhone
Shout to my boy @Byron16Jump with 12-3 broad. #Eazzyyy
Awesome for him! I saw this jumping ability on display several years ago....he beat a team I was an Assistant Coach for on the last play of the game with a high-flying catch on a Hail Mary pass.:eek:

Reaction Score
Interesting that Jones won't do a 40YD do to injury recovery, but chose to the 60 yard shuttle and cone drill, that have significantly more cutting and stopping.

He's 15 weeks post surgery but only been cleared to run for 3 weeks... not thinking short burst drills are the a concern. Nothing wrong putting it off for a few more weeks of training if he can - lot of eyes will be on those 12o feet.

Husky25

Reaction Score
He's 15 weeks post surgery but only been cleared to run for 3 weeks... not thinking short burst drills are the a concern. Nothing wrong putting it off for a few more weeks of training if he can - lot of eyes will be on those 12o feet.
Which is ridiculous, no? Football consists of far more short bursts than 40 yard straight line sprints, which I suppose is why he is putting it off. Far too much attention is paid to the 40 than skills that can actually translate to the field. Be that as it may, it appears shoulders have far more to do with running than meets the eye.

I was watching the defensive linemen run the 40 yesterday and it was almost embarrassing. First of all they are all in a three point sprinter's stances, with their hand about 3 inches from their front foot. Some of their bellies forced them into pretty uncomfortable looking positions (to be fair, they have been doing that for about 15 years), but when was the last time you saw a DT in this sort of stance in a real game? For some of these guys, you can time the 40 with a sun dial. Sure, most are in decent shape, but they were laboring by the time they reached 25 yards. Finally, when was the last time you saw a defensive-run-stopping-tackle catch a running back (or even a Tight End) 30 yards down the field?

I'm sure scouts can glean a little bit of info out of it, but my guess is it would be far more beneficial tocut the length down to 20-25 yards for linemen.

Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
Which is ridiculous, no? Football consists of far more short bursts than 40 yard straight line sprints, which I suppose is why he is putting it off. Far too much attention is paid to the 40 than skills that can actually translate to the field. Be that as it may, it appears shoulders have far more to do with running than meets the eye.

I was watching the defensive linemen run the 40 yesterday and it was almost embarrassing. First of all they are all in a three point sprinter's stances, with their hand about 3 inches from their front foot. Some of their bellies forced them into pretty uncomfortable looking positions (to be fair, they have been doing that for about 15 years), but when was the last time you saw a DT in this sort of stance in a real game? For some of these guys, you can time the 40 with a sun dial. Sure, most are in decent shape, but they were laboring by the time they reached 25 yards. Finally, when was the last time you saw a defensive-run-stopping-tackle catch a running back (or even a Tight End) 30 yards down the field?

I'm sure scouts can glean a little bit of info out of it, but my guess is it would be far more beneficial tocut the length down to 20-25 yards for linemen.

They time the splits as well. Not just the 40 time.

Husky25

Reaction Score
They time the splits as well. Not just the 40 time.
I know. I saw the cameras, but those numbers are hardly publicized or shared in any discernible manner.

Other than one February afternoon in 2000, Tom Brady never sprinted 40 consecutive yards in his life, but he can step up 4 feet in the pocket to avoid the rush like nobody's business. He slipped at least 3 rounds (probably 4) in that draft because nothing he did at the combine translated to his skill between the lines when the clock starts. He is now a 6 time AFC champ, 4 time Super Bowl Champ, 3 time SB MVP and multiple NFL MVP.

What's sick is, with all that said, I watch the combine for about an hour and a half yesterday and I'll probably watch 6 of the 7 rounds of the draft. Uh!! I have no life...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Plus after all the press and praise he got today, you can bet he's gonna work his butt off even more then he has up to this point to make sure his 40 time doesn't diminish his achievements today. The kid clearly busted his butt to get to this point. I can only imagine how much harder he's gonna push himself to get the best 40 time he can get.

Reaction Score
Classic ..... If you saw this picture out of context you could hardly guess it was from a broad jump.

950x534

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Classic ..... If you saw this picture out of context you could hardly guess it was from a broad jump.

950x534
So the guy with the ruler is at 9 feet, in the video he has to suddenly move to his left to measure, and there are not many extra inches after 12 feet there...

Reaction Score
What is even more hilarious is NFL network keeps using this picture for Byron Jones when it is actually a picture of the guy that went before him

Wow...copied that pic from the Courant who obviously got it from the NFL.

Too funny.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
SEC academic standards may work to our advantage going forward.

"Mississippi State has been equally impressive in the classroom on Mullen's watch. In the fall 2014 semester, the team's 2.76 grade point average was the program's highest ever, while 19 of the 21 seniors earned their undergraduate degrees."

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 2:27pm via TweetDeck
Former #UConn WR Geremy Davis listed as NFL Draft sleeper by fellow former Husky @tabersmall
http://www.nucsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23100&ATCLID=209948570

>>Connecticut WR Geremy Davis - Davisis an athletic receiver with good speed and size at 6-foot-2, 215-pounds. He had a breakout 2013 season with 71 catches for 1,085 yards and three touchdowns. Davis is a physical strong-handed receiver who snatches the ball out of the air making acrobatic catches. He is a fluid athlete that shows impressive balance, strength and ball skills. Davis does a good job of getting open and was a productive receiver for UConn despite having very little consistency from the quarterback position. Davis is not very shifty or elusive and his long speed is a question for scouts. Look for Davis draft stock to rise if he runs well at his upcoming pro day.<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom