Bryant | The Boneyard

Bryant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
is it to late to get on the bryant bandwagon???

they are kicking our ass already. unreal.

3 in for the 1st and they have them loaded with 2 outs in the 2nd right now.

good news, we have only made 1 error so far. throws bottle across room(if i had 1)

Reaction Score
6-0 now. Where has the pitching gone. Can't throw strikes and when they do they are getting drilled.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
6-0 now bot 2. i'm done watching for now. we will hit our way back into the lead, then give it up the next inning with a error then hit our way to the win late game. book it.

Reaction Score
It's getting to the point where I can't watch either. Another error at 3rd, this time on Fuller. Doesn't matter who is there. Then the next guy is able to bunt his way on with a bunt single. Teams are abusing our defense and taking advantage of it.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We are stranding runners, too. We are not winning this one because Bryant will keep scoring on our defense.

Reaction Score
Our hitters amaze me at times also. The Bryant pitcher is wild falling behind 2-0 several times and the UConn batters are swinging 2-0 at bad pitches rather than trying to work out a walk or drive a good pitch. Their lack of patience at the plate is bad. Where as the opposing team is being patient and we have walked several of their batters already.

Reaction Score
Absolutely awful showing after losing 15-0 on Sunday. Thought they would come out with a little more spark. To only get 6 hits against Bryant is not good. Have a feeling it is going to be a very long weekend at Louisville and could get ugly. Hope I am wrong but this team is not showing much right now.

Reaction Score
Brown and Bryant are officially the WTF losses of the year. I feel.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
our whole season just went from bubble ish to crap. the BE is so dam bad that its sad were even in the top half of the league. just shows you how much better the leagues around us are. bc/brown/bryant/uri. we got smoked by new england teams this year. just unreal considering this is really one of the worst years in new england college baseball in a long time. and quinn gave us games, omfg i just wana yell or something. fustrating year for the team and the emotional roller coaster isn't over yet. we can go down to tampa and win it easily. the hitting on this team when hot is good enough, but you know the pitching or more likley the defense will fall apart at some point. rant/

Reaction Score
We are now O for Rhode Island. Heard the last couple innings of the game on the way home and the post game. Not a lot of quality starts from the pitching perspective. Now apparently the commitment has been made as of today and the team gets even weaker at the corners defensively. Not a lot of answers for the problems that have plagued this team all year.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Took me 2 days to be able to open this thread. Atrocious loss on a miserable day weather wise (not that the weather had any effect, it was just lame to sit out there for 3 hours in that tty weather). The moment when I knew the game was over was when Fuller made that error at 3rd and the next guy bunted for a single.

It wasn't that he made an error or the next guy bunted for a single, but how it happened. For those that weren't there, Fuller makes a charging play on a ground ball and makes a bad/weak throw wide of the bag. Martin, who I've never seen play first, should have came off the bag to make the tag but the runner probably would have reached regardless. Anyways, the important play was the next one.

Bunt gets laid down pretty well down the 3rd base line. Probably like 35-40 feet out. Very well placed. Probably would have been a single no matter what happened but the disconcerting part was that the pitcher (can't remember who it was or what inning it was) cut the ball off with no chance of making a throw. The ONLY play there is to let the 3B field it and try to throw him out. The complete lack of trust that the fielder would make the play there was painfully evident to anyone who has watched the team all year. It has to have an effect on the pitcher's willingness to throw strikes and let the batter hit the ball, trusting that his defense will make the play.

This game really showed that to win games consistently, we need to put up 7 or 8 runs and collectively hold our breath. When Fischer or Marzi are having good days the offense will generally be good enough to win, but if the pitcher is shaky at all, when you factor in the defense and the effect it has to have on the pitcher's psyche, the offense is going to need to rake for close to 10 runs. It's not a good formula for winning. That's not to say winning in the Big East is out of the question, as we have shown to this point in the season, but it certainly limits our options. With the Bryant loss, I have officially moved from hoping for a miracle run for the sake of getting into the NCAA tournament to hoping for a Big East Championship - regular season (would be a miracle given our fielding) or tournament (anything can happen in one week of baseball). I would sign up for either one at this point and obviously feel like we were making out like gangbusters.

I've said it before, but this is more or less what expectations were coming into the season given how much we lost. It just hurts that the most fundamental part of the game is why we are sitting in this position. With average fielding to this point in the season, we are probably a favorite to win the conference as crazy as it is to consider that on the heels of losing the entire weekend staff and most of the starting lineup from last year.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I don't have much to add to that. Considering what we lost, and the fact that our baserunning continues to suck, I am pleased with how productive our offense has been. The pitching has takena turn for the worse but we have some really promising young arms on this team. Though I suspect we will be back to NCAA-level next year, I am nervous that the bone-headed mistakes defensively and on the basepaths will never be corrected.

I'm pleased with the job Penders has done at UConn, but simple, correctable things have been chronic issues during his tenure here. If he ever corrects them, we can make a college world series. I'm not holding my breath on that one though.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I'm pleased with the job Penders has done at UConn, but simple, correctable things have been chronic issues during his tenure here. If he ever corrects them, we can make a college world series. I'm not holding my breath on that one though.

I have certain issues with Penders but I think his positives tend to outweigh them as I'm sure you would agree.

What I find to be a little puzzling is that last year's team was pretty good in the field (minus Fuller). Springer was great in Center, Andreoli had a cannon in right, Ferriter had great range in Left. Ahmed was a stud at short until some hiccups late in the season after his injury. Elliot may have been the best defensive catcher UConn has ever had (Penders on record saying he is the best backstop he's ever coached). Suddenly we can't coach guys to field a ground ball? Very strange - and I'm not really sure that at this point a coach can fix a guy like Ryan Fuller in the field, he just seems to not have soft hands. There are Major Leaguers that spend years struggling to become average in the field (Daniel Murphy for the Mets comes to mind, although he has been hindered by bouncing from position to position).

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I absolutely agree with your first point. As for your second point...it's hard to say, but youth and inexperience certainly factor into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom