Brunelle To ND | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Brunelle To ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Brunelle said the that she knew after the in-home visit by Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw the second week of March. Before that, she said the Irish and the University of Virginia were probably tied at the top of her list.

Top junior Sam Brunelle chooses Notre Dame

Olson said he hadn't heard that UConn wasn't pursuing Brunelle.

"There are a lot of schools out there that don't take a heavy interest in offering kids at an earlier age. The success that Connecticut's garnered in the last 10 years, they don't have to," Olson said. "They can come in late and still get away with it. They still can now. Even though they've sputtered at the end here and lost, they're still right there and highly respected. I don't know if that's true or not, that they had failed to offer her."

Samantha Brunelle, No. 1 in 2019 class, commits to Notre Dame

Brunelle’s top nine choices, in no particular order, were Notre Dame, South Carolina, UConn, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina State, Wake Forest, Kentucky and Maryland. She didn’t give a top three, but said Notre Dame and UVa were high on her list.

Brunelle chooses defending national champion Notre Dame

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There's obviously something strange about Sam's recruitment and decision-making. It sounds as if there was far more drama than in a normal recruitment. That's not something Geno likes. I think Sam made a good decision for herself. Based on what she said today, I wonder if Virginia could have gotten Sam if they had hired a good coach quickly.

Reaction Score
I think it’s not just that Haley Jones is a better fit at UConn, but Sam wasn’t as good a fit as many of us thought.

Apparently a 6'2" recruit that can shoot threes, handle the ball like a guard, shoot facing the basket, post up, rebound and pass the ball well was simply not worth pursuing

Reaction Score
I have a different take. I think this is great. We were so dominant with Stewie, as well as the past two years it’s going to be fun if the ND vs UCONN rivalry heats up. Let’s respect SAMMY but let’s love to beat her!! Let them land some great players, let’s see if we can land some as well! I’m all for a more hated rivality again!!
Healthy and fun!!

Can’t wait

After all, this is what everyone has been waiting for...great for WCBB! :rolleyes:

EDIT: Also like to add, we can finally put to rest the notion "UConn get's all the best players".

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think it’s not just that Haley Jones is a better fit at UConn, but Sam wasn’t as good a fit as many of us thought.

Milford:
When I saw the pics of Sam Brunelle at the Notre Dame mass recruiting event last fall, I started going back to her clips and looking at how she'd fit into what Muffet does with her offense. And I liked her, primarily at the Kat Westbeld spot located just north of the foul line in the offense. (Jessica Shepard will man that this spot in 18-19). BTW, Westbeld and Brunelle are the same height (6'2").

In looking at the Prospect's Nation article, writer/evaluator Kelli Moore apparently has come to a similar (although probably much more learned) opinion:
"Offensively, Brunelle will be a natural fit for Coach McGraw and her staff. At 6-foot-2, Brunelle has the ability to cause matchup problems because of her versatility. She is a quality perimeter shooter who can play on the perimeter and stretch the floor or at the high-post in isolation situations. Because of her size and strength, Brunelle can post up smaller defenders and has developed into an efficient back to the basket playmaker. When looking at her combination of size and skill, Brunelle has the potential to be an instant fit inside of Notre Dame’s Princeton style of offense."

Here's the whole article: Notre Dame Lands Brunelle | Prospects Nation

Reaction Score
Dillon, you are one of the most knowledgeable posters that I read. Notre Dame now has two commits for 2019. Do you know how big a class they will bring in? UCONN is currently recruiting Jones(plays same position as Sam), Boston, the girl from Canada, and one or two guards. Since Jones plays the same position as Brunelle; do you think ND is still strongly recruiting her?

Reaction Score
After the big recruiting weekend at ND last fall, I got the impression that Brunelle, Fudd, and Bueckers had a big kumbaya moment decked out in ND gear. Kind of like the Deshields moment at NC but spread out over 3 recruiting classes. Expect Bueckers and Fudd to follow.
Perhaps. But these are teenagers. I would not bet more than an ice-cream cone on their decisions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Apparently a 6'2" recruit that can shoot threes, handle the ball like a guard, shoot facing the basket, post up, rebound and pass the ball well was simply not worth pursuing
Sounds about right.
I suspect we'll never know the real story with SB....same as AEH's transferring......all I know is that Baylor and Notre Dame are stronger teams 1-10 if one includes their incoming classes......UConn better have it's recruiting act together if they want to be able to compete never mind dominate in the next few years
Oh ye of little faith! Was there ever a time when UCONN didn't have its recruiting act together?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In no way am I suggesting that SB is anything but a great kid, but many years ago I spent a number of years recruiting HS football players at a D1 school. While almost all the kids were great, sometimes parents, with the best intentions in the world, got far too involved in the process, resulting in the school getting cold feet.

In this instance, I absolutely believe that UConn made an offer to Brunelle in 2016, pulled that offer early this year, and it had nothing to do with Brunelle’s basketball ability.

I suspect we'll never know the real story with SB.........same as AEH's transferring...........all I know is that Baylor and Notre Dame are stronger teams 1-10 if one includes their incoming classes...........UConn better have it's recruiting act together if they want to be able to compete never mind dominate in the next few years

JS

Reaction Score
In this instance, I absolutely believe that UConn made an offer to Brunelle in 2016, pulled that offer early this year, and it had nothing to do with Brunelle’s basketball ability.
Old Dude, you're a great poster, but I think you've adequately pushed your "incident" theory in multiple posts.

No known basis for it, other than your puzzlement over the course of events, which seem illogical to you. No problem stating it, but you seem on a mission. Let it rest, please.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
on a related note - did Mikayla Vaughn get a red-shirt this year ? She appears to be a true post, while Brunelle looks more like a stretch 4.

Yes. Her injury happened early enough that she will qualify for a "medical redshirt".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Old Dude, you're a great poster, but I think you've adequately pushed your "incident" theory in multiple posts.

No known basis for it, other than your puzzlement over the course of events, which seem illogical to you. No problem stating it, but you seem on a mission. Let it rest, please.
Sorry if I’ve beaten a dead horse on this issue, but I was a bit confused this morning when my original post/thread on this subject was deleted for being “speculation.”

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
There's obviously something strange about Sam's recruitment and decision-making. It sounds as if there was far more drama than in a normal recruitment.

How so? I really fail to see how there was any "drama". She took some unofficials. She put out a list of finalists. She had some coaches in for home visits. She made a choice. She set up a little event to make the announcement and thank those that supported her. That's all pretty standard.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How so? I really fail to see how there was any "drama". She took some unofficials. She put out a list of finalists. She had some coaches in for home visits. She made a choice. She set up a little event to make the announcement and thank those that supported her. That's all pretty standard.
I guess that depends on what we can call drama:
The appearance of Dalphan (sp) on this board claiming to be an insider was very "dramatic".
The change in plans (time frame) for a decision was "dramatic". Original plan was to down select from ~8 to 4 over the summer, make official visits, and make a decision by the early signing period.
The lack of official visits by Samantha was "dramatic".
Samantha's commitment on 4/15/18 represents the earliest commitment of ANY #1 prospect in the last decade.
The denial of a UCONN offer which appeared in the paper 15 minutes after Samantha's announce was very "dramatic".
The appearance of Azzi Fudd in ND gear at Samantha's announcement was very "dramatic".
Samantha has USA basketball trials at the end of the month and will be sharing the gym with about a 1/2 dozen UCONN/ND potential recruits over several days=the drama will continue.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I guess that depends on what we can call drama:
The appearance of Dalphan (sp) on this board claiming to be an insider was very "dramatic".
The change in plans (time frame) for a decision was "dramatic". Original plan was to down select from ~8 to 4 over the summer, make official visits, and make a decision by the early signing period.
The lack of official visits by Samantha was "dramatic".
Samantha's commitment on 4/15/18 represents the earliest commitment of ANY #1 prospect in the last decade.
The denial of a UCONN offer which appeared in the paper 15 minutes after Samantha's announce was very "dramatic".
The appearance of Azzi Fudd in ND gear at Samantha's announcement was very "dramatic".
Samantha has USA basketball trials at the end of the month and will be sharing the gym with about a 1/2 dozen UCONN/ND potential recruits over several days=the drama will continue.

I don’t see how this is dramatic compared to the announcement of any other highly touted recruit. She had a friend there supporting her and decided on her school toward the end of her junior season. A little different than A’ja Wilson who made a big deal with her decision in April as a senior, or Megan Walker who also had a press conference and made comments about wanting to develop her brand.

Sure she didn’t sign on her car hood like Stewart, but I have zero problems with any top recruit holding a press conference and having an announcement ceremony. Great way to bring some publicity to the sport and celebrate making a huge decision with friends and family. Congrats to Sam on her decision to attend ND. Let’s see what magic Muffet can create with her first #1 recruit.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dillon, you are one of the most knowledgeable posters that I read. Notre Dame now has two commits for 2019. Do you know how big a class they will bring in? UCONN is currently recruiting Jones(plays same position as Sam), Boston, the girl from Canada, and one or two guards. Since Jones plays the same position as Brunelle; do you think ND is still strongly recruiting her?

Hey there:
McGraw's Bench is having quite a conversation on this topic. I'll try to bullet-point it for you and if Orangutan or Fightin' Choke wants to add, please join in:
- Muffet McGraw (MM) likes to have a roster of about 12.
- Based on that, she could bring in a class of up to 5 people to get to that number. However, many "Benchers" think four (4) is more of a realistic number, in part because: some of the other target prospects are so highly sought after (Jones, Amihere, perhaps Boston, among them); Muffet's recent insistence that she is only going after recruits that have strong "mutual interest" in each other (no settling either way, if possible); and, the 2020 class is loaded, so if you can't get the one you want in 2019, refocus.
- My gut says MM will still go after Haley Jones hard in that Jones is so versatile that she'd fit in a number of positions for the Irish. BTW, IMHO, I see Brunelle at the high post in the Irish offense (that's where Kat Westbeld played) while I see Jones at the wing (where Jackie Young plays). While Young is probably a guard playing a bit up, she is 6'0" tall and Jones is 6'1".
- As said, other possible prospects include Laeticia Amihere and Fran Belibi at forward and possibly Aliyah Boston at post, who is keeping her list tight and right.
- Lastly, MM and staff (Niele Ivey) keep this pretty close to the vest, so there may be others that they're scouting/talking to.
As I say, Stay tuned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01