Broadcasting Vacancy!! Who do you want to see next season? | The Boneyard

Broadcasting Vacancy!! Who do you want to see next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
As we all are enjoying our summer vacations I was reading an article about the Vanderbilt hiring of Stephanie White and Carolyn Peck. I think this is a good hire for Vanderbilt. White should do well and Peck is a Tennessee native and a Vandy alum.

Both logged a lot of time broadcasting play by play the last few seasons.

Stephanie White was a regular on the B1G Network and Peck called ESPN and SEC Network games. White was a FANTASTIC announcer.

Who replaces them??

Who will be doing play by play for the women's game next season and beyond.

LaChina Robinson and Gail Goestenkors would be my top two right from the gate!

Sue Bird?

Swin Cash?

Debbie Antonelli would be a top choice as well but she usually does mostly ACC games.

Thoughts?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
As we all are enjoying our summer vacations I was reading an article about the Vanderbilt hiring of Stephanie White and Carolyn Peck. I think this is a good hire for Vanderbilt. White should do well and Peck is a Tennessee native and a Vandy alum.

Both logged a lot of time broadcasting play by play the last few seasons.

Stephanie White was a regular on the B1G Network and Peck called ESPN and SEC Network games. White was a FANTASTIC announcer.

Who replaces them??

Who will be doing play by play for the women's game next season and beyond.

LaChina Robinson and Gail Goestenkors would be my top two right from the gate!

Sue Bird?

Swin Cash?

Debbie Antonelli would be a top choice as well but she usually does mostly ACC games.

Thoughts?
Antonelli has being very much biased towards the ACC. I suppose that is to keep her job there.

Reaction Score
The few times I heard Bird I thought she was very good. I also like LaChina a lot.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Antonelli has being very much biased towards the ACC. I suppose that is to keep her job there.
I never thought she was so much "biased" about the ACC, rather, she is most knowledgeable about that league, primarily because she covers it more than others. She doesn't work for ESPN except during the tourney, so far as I have noticed. Biased to Kay Yow's legacy, that, yes, her former coach.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The few times I heard Bird I thought she was very good. I also like LaChina a lot.
I liked Bird as well, but does she play during the non-WNBA season or is she looking at retiring? As you said, she didn't do many games. LaChina is fine, not sure if I want her as a main announcer.

Not necessarily on ESPN, but Dan Hughes (as I have said before) while not exciting does an excellent job of explaining the technical side of a game. And Brenda VanLangen seems to do a credible job whenever I have heard her. As someone mentioned above, Gail G. is growing into the job, as well.

And going back to the OP - neither called play by play, both were color commentators. VanLangen is one of the few who does both roles. And White was fantastic, she was on the B1G network I think from the beginning, in fact for a long while she was an anchor on their women's sports studio show.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Katie Smith. I wish Kara Lawson could/would join the booth.

I agree that I would love Kara in the booth, but it would be a shame to limit her potential viewership to so small a segment. In the studio she can comment during halves, quarters, TOs, pre- and post-game shows for several games.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We await the day - not yet - when Diana hangs up her sneakers and takes a seat behind a microphone. When that occurs, Doris, move over.;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm going to go outside the box and nominate Margo to replace Peck.
For sheer entertainment value and the fact that Margo will not "pretent" to be something she is not-a SEC homer & Lady Vols die heart.

Reaction Score
Anyone but LaChina, Katie or Chiney. I can't stand the three of them. I wish LaChina would just go away.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We await the day - not yet - when Diana hangs up her sneakers and takes a seat behind a microphone. When that occurs, Doris, move over.;)
Diana's sport thoughts and commentary are entertaining and insightfull. I can see her ending up doing NBA games. She seems well respected by the former NBA pros n the segments I've seen and she clearly follows the men's game.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Knowing that the broadcasting universe (that was once part of my career) disagrees with me, I will continue to be the lonely voice:

Please, please, no more former athletes who "know" the game, but can't communicate a meaningful thought about it nor construct two grammatically correct sentences in a row.
There are many "no name" athletes and others who could do a great job, if only broadcasters would seek them out or conduct fair auditions.

Reaction Score
I have watched some games on the WNBA League Pass. Some use the audio from radio. I had forgotten what play-by-play was like! While I don't think we need to hear that level of detail "Dribbles to the top of the key..." I greatly enjoyed being able to easily follow the action, substitutes, fouls etc. Too often now we have two color commentators telling stories and neither will interrupt to explain the action! I would like someone who will pay attention to what is going on in the game, will limit their storytelling, and will interrupt their "color" partner for important information. Not sure who that is...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Please, please, no more former athletes who "know" the game, but can't communicate a meaningful thought about it nor construct two grammatically correct sentences in a row.

Now I must wonder if:
Vin Scully ever played baseball
Doc Emrich " " hockey
Al Michaels " " football
Mike Breen/Marv Albert " " basketball​

Surely there are others; of course we know that Doris and Kara played basketball.;)

Reaction Score
Julianne Viani who did the NY vs PHX game is pretty good! She was a great guard at Marist.
IMO the following are knowledgeable and intelligent:
Doris Burke
Debbie Antonelli
Gail Goestenkors
Swin Cash
Sue Bird (several playing years left though)
Anne Meyers Drysdale
Brenda VanLangen
Bob Picozzi
Dan Hughes (retiring from coaching after this season, may turn to the mike)
LaChina Robinson ( has been pretty good recently)
Heather Cox
Beth Mowins
Kara Lawson (the few times she gets in the arena)
Rebecca Lobo
Julie Wisnet ? ( pretty, little blond girl played on small school down south)
I cannot stand Pam Ward she makes my skin crawl!

Reaction Score
I never thought she was so much "biased" about the ACC, rather, she is most knowledgeable about that league, primarily because she covers it more than others. She doesn't work for ESPN except during the tourney, so far as I have noticed. Biased to Kay Yow's legacy, that, yes, her former coach.
Antonelli--is a good choice, a nice Southern Irish woman.
Swin Cash---beautiful, articulate, knowledgeable
Lawson--super intelligent, knows the game and the teams
Sue Bird--beautiful, smart, knows the game and the players
KML--as a second banana and learn the trade

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I agree that I would love Kara in the booth, but it would be a shame to limit her potential viewership to so small a segment. In the studio she can comment during halves, quarters, TOs, pre- and post-game shows for several games.
As with recruits so with Kara, I admit to my selfishness. I want it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom