Brittney Griner & Glory Johnson Arrested for Assault | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Brittney Griner & Glory Johnson Arrested for Assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Griner is one of the star attractions in the WNBA. I can't imagine the league suspending
her for the season over something like this. I would be surprised if she and Johnson are
suspended even for one game.
That result would send a bad message. The WNBA could expect future incidents, and its image might be badly damaged.

Reaction Score
As I have said, certainly some league punishment is in order. I'm not trying to minimize the incident, but what exactly are we as society trying to do? I would assume sending a message that physical fighting between couples of any sort is a no-no.

But, if one was an NBA male and one a WNBA female, and the NBA male ends up doing more damage on the female than vice versa - punish them equally? Or take the societal view that its always the man's fault for striking the woman and only punish the male? Or what, exactly?

I just think you can punish those involved and show an incident as unacceptable to the rest of the world without raising it to the level of, for want of a better term, a federal case. If no police had been called, by family no less, we wouldn't even know about it.
Most often in domestic cases, when no police are called, and the public does not learn of it, the violence is repeated over and over until a serious injury or even a tragedy occurs.

Reaction Score
In most domestic abuse cases the male, or is the cases where children are involved the adult, is physically superior and the woman or child is seen as the victim. In this case with two fairly equally matched athletes I doubt either would claim to be a victim.
Agree this isn't like the Ray Rice thing - large, elite NFL football player pounding a much smaller, defenseless female. But I don't think they're "equally matched" either. Somewhere in between maybe. I've been up close with BG - she's scary big. I think you put them in the cage and she comes out on top 10 out of 10 times.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I follow WBB in part because the incidence of this stuff is far less frequent than in MBB in addition to it being more like the basketball I grew up with. This, too, will pass. Still, there will always be those "fans" who seem to take perverse delight in these incidents and take the occasion to let the worst of their misogynistic proclivities to come rolling out. This thread has done considerably better than that found at the VolNation. Trust me, you don't want to look. Haters going to hate.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah RMTB2 - your warning came too late. To be fair - a good portion of the posters were equally offended as I was.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The Baylor site is much better by the way - a few 'comments' but nothing as bad as that other place. There is a study quoted by Javaman above that is interesting, but ... I think there are some mitigating factors when looking at this as LGBT vs, hetero:

1. For most of human history all societies have marginalized if not outright persecuted LGBT people and relationships. This adds a level of stress to those relationships, and prevents some normal avenues of help in dealing with that stress and the relationship itself. You would likely find the same disparities in people living below the poverty line, ghetto communities, native american, and other 'marginalized' segments of society.

2. In most heterosexual relationships the male is typically physically much stronger. In situations where fights might occur and get physical, the weaker person is not going to be aggressive and is going to strive to calm the situation rather than getting whacked. In LGBT relationships the physical strength is much more likely to be relatively equal, and therefore neither party is as likely to cower away from a physical confrontation.

Reaction Score
I'm curious about terminology. What qualifies as "domestic abuse/violence"?
I assume it's being termed "domestic" because they were engaged or perhaps
because it occurred in a home.

If they were merely intimate friends who got into a violent argument in a bar, I assume
that would be called something else?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm curious about terminology. What qualifies as "domestic abuse/violence"?
I assume it's being termed "domestic" because they were engaged or perhaps
because it occurred in a home.

If they were merely intimate friends who got into a violent argument in a bar, I assume
that would be called something else?
yup - domestic refers to a family unit however that is configured and whether bound together by marriage or not. It does not actually have to occur in the home - though usually it does. The other is usually referred to as a barroom brawl :)

Reaction Score
As I have said, certainly some league punishment is in order. I'm not trying to minimize the incident, but what exactly are we as society trying to do? I would assume sending a message that physical fighting between couples of any sort is a no-no.

But, if one was an NBA male and one a WNBA female, and the NBA male ends up doing more damage on the female than vice versa - punish them equally? Or take the societal view that its always the man's fault for striking the woman and only punish the male? Or what, exactly?

I just think you can punish those involved and show an incident as unacceptable to the rest of the world without raising it to the level of, for want of a better term, a federal case. If no police had been called, by family no less, we wouldn't even know about it.

I think you punish them based on their actions, not on the consequences. If the WNBA player was the aggressor, even if the WNBA player was hurt worse, the WNBA player should be punished more severely.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The Baylor site is much better by the way - a few 'comments' but nothing as bad as that other place. There is a study quoted by Javaman above that is interesting, but ... I think there are some mitigating factors when looking at this as LGBT vs, hetero:

1. For most of human history all societies have marginalized if not outright persecuted LGBT people and relationships. This adds a level of stress to those relationships, and prevents some normal avenues of help in dealing with that stress and the relationship itself. You would likely find the same disparities in people living below the poverty line, ghetto communities, native american, and other 'marginalized' segments of society.

2. In most heterosexual relationships the male is typically physically much stronger. In situations where fights might occur and get physical, the weaker person is not going to be aggressive and is going to strive to calm the situation rather than getting whacked. In LGBT relationships the physical strength is much more likely to be relatively equal, and therefore neither party is as likely to cower away from a physical confrontation.

Great post! Sad to say, but being part of the LGBT community, I have to say that I am guilty of looking at this incident as just a fight and I don't put it in the category of domestic violence, which I typically think of as one person being an aggressor and the other person being a victim. In this situation both parties were apparently at their breaking point and it was just a fight.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great post! Sad to say, but being part of the LGBT community, I have to say that I am guilty of looking at this incident as just a fight and I don't put it in the category of domestic violence, which I typically think of as one person being an aggressor and the other person being a victim. In this situation both parties were apparently at their breaking point and it was just a fight.
We are only a little removed from our 'wild west' days and too many people still see physical confrontation as a viable way to resolve issues. Sometimes we recognize it for 'bullying', other times as 'domestic violence', but too often it is just labeled as 'boys being boys' or 'just a fight' ' or 'justified reaction to ____', or an 'unfortunate tipping point' or 'too much alcohol'.

Violence is just bad and unfortunately the fact these too reached this point in what has been apparently a very important relationship for them both is not a good omen for either, nor for their current relationship. It was 'just a fight' but it was physical and it was between domestic partners. If one had been 'weaker' it might actually have been less violent, quickly over, and never brought to public light. But then one of them would have the bruises, and over time likely had bruises on top of bruises in a more classic cycle of abuse.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
We are only a little removed from our 'wild west' days

I'm not so sure, with all the guns around
Seems we've regressed more than a bit.

My brother-in -law is here for an extentded a visit, his first time in the states.
And I'm giving him lessons in sedate driving; never upset the crazeies
And above all…West of the Mississippi, don't even look at someone with any emotion other than joy and satisfation. :)
(until you get to California).

JS

Reaction Score
Yeah RMTB2 - your warning came too late. To be fair - a good portion of the posters were equally offended as I was.
Some things can be cured retroactively. And obstacles to repetition put in place.

Not the first time for this individual, just the first at the current site location. Rocky's reference to VolNation, coincidentally or not, is on target.

Reaction Score
If they try to stay together then the WNBA should require them to both take anger management training as well as marriage counseling.

IMO they aren't remotely prepared for marriage.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
We are only a little removed from our 'wild west' days and too many people still see physical confrontation as a viable way to resolve issues. Sometimes we recognize it for 'bullying', other times as 'domestic violence', but too often it is just labeled as 'boys being boys' or 'just a fight' ' or 'justified reaction to ____', or an 'unfortunate tipping point' or 'too much alcohol'.

Violence is just bad and unfortunately the fact these too reached this point in what has been apparently a very important relationship for them both is not a good omen for either, nor for their current relationship. It was 'just a fight' but it was physical and it was between domestic partners. If one had been 'weaker' it might actually have been less violent, quickly over, and never brought to public light. But then one of them would have the bruises, and over time likely had bruises on top of bruises in a more classic cycle of abuse.
I mostly agree. And yes, this can be well described as "just a fight". We are far too violent a society - if you didn't see it, read about the incident in Milwaukee a couple weeks ago that left 4 dead. Senseless violence and stupid behavior.

That said, there has to be a difference between fighting and one-sided abuse. We don't always seem to recognize that very well, either.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Just wondering if this might be an appropriate response by USABasketball...thoughts?

USABasketball [with the #1 coach in the land at the helm] is holding a workout from May 4-6 with around 35
2016 Olympic hopefuls. I would suggest that USAbasketball quietly disinvite Brittney from attending.
They could issue a very bland statement about Brittney is working through some personal issues.
Privately they could inform Brittney that she is still very much expected to be a vital part of the Rio team...if there are no further
incidents such as this one. Wish her luck....offer some suggestions as to possible counseling ventures......etc.
Tell her that if there is another incident, she will no longer be considered for the 2016 team....period.

The team should win the gold with her or without her. The last thing the team needs is to be linked to violence....questioned about it...have
Griner take up negative attention from the media when the team and the sport should be lauded on a world stage.

Is this idea nuts....or just an overreaction....or an appropriate warning shot to Brittney, an orange alert designed to head off a red one?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Well said, sir. It lasted a long time for being "just a fight."

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Just wondering if this might be an appropriate response by USABasketball...thoughts?

USABasketball [with the #1 coach in the land at the helm] is holding a workout from May 4-6 with around 35
2016 Olympic hopefuls. I would suggest that USAbasketball quietly disinvite Brittney from attending.
They could issue a very bland statement about Brittney is working through some personal issues.
Privately they could inform Brittney that she is still very much expected to be a vital part of the Rio team...if there are no further
incidents such as this one. Wish her luck....offer some suggestions as to possible counseling ventures.etc.
Tell her that if there is another incident, she will no longer be considered for the 2016 team....period.

The team should win the gold with her or without her. The last thing the team needs is to be linked to violence....questioned about it...have
Griner take up negative attention from the media when the team and the sport should be lauded on a world stage.

Is this idea nuts....or just an overreaction....or an appropriate warning shot to Brittney, an orange alert designed to head off a red one?

Seems way over the top to me. And I am not so sure that we will win gold without her as it does not appear that we have the defensive presence in the paint to stop Cambage. If Cambage and Jackson are healthy for the Olympics Australia will be a tough out for the US.

Reaction Score
The WNBA has to be careful here... as does the parent NBA. This IS a case of domestic violence and should be dealt with that way. Both players should receive the same warning or punishment unless the facts clearly indicate that one or the other was the clear aggressor. It should be no different than if an NBA player assaulted his wife or a WNBA player assaulted her husband. Where it happened is irrelevant.

One thing's for sure, though. The honeymoon is over, even before it began.

As has been said, those two things are really, really different. What Griner and Johnson did is obviously not OK, but the fact that these are two relatively evenly matched athletes makes violence between them far less significant than and NBA player assaulting his wife. Many good people have, in their past, gotten into stupid fights. A 6'10" NBA player hitting his 5'5" wife is inexcusable.

There may have been part of a cycle of emotional or physical abuse that would make this rise to that level, but I haven't seen any evidence that would convince me of that.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I follow WBB in part because the incidence of this stuff is far less frequent than in MBB in addition to it being more like the basketball I grew up with. This, too, will pass. Still, there will always be those "fans" who seem to take perverse delight in these incidents and take the occasion to let the worst of their misogynistic proclivities to come rolling out. This thread has done considerably better than that found at the VolNation. Trust me, you don't want to look. Haters going to hate.
I ignored your good advice and looked. And may I say - ick. There's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Reaction Score
As has been said, those two things are really, really different. What Griner and Johnson did is obviously not OK, but the fact that these are two relatively evenly matched athletes makes violence between them far less significant than and NBA player assaulting his wife. Many good people have, in their past, gotten into stupid fights. A 6'10" NBA player hitting his 5'5" wife is inexcusable.

There may have been part of a cycle of emotional or physical abuse that would make this rise to that level, but I haven't seen any evidence that would convince me of that.

You're treating this like some boxing or wrestling bout, where if they're evenly matched it's somehow okay to ignore it. What if Glory Johnson were to grab a knife? Does size matchup matter then? Griner knows how to hunt. What if she were to grab a gun? The worst thing you could do right now is to act like this occurance is meaningless and to ignore it. The league should feel obligated to send the message if the legal system won't. You can not use violence to solve your differences. Moreso than the other professional leagues, the WNBA works with children and is a family-oriented league. It's important that it's players are held to the highest standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom