Brianna Banks article | The Boneyard

Brianna Banks article

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not sure if it's a repeat or not but some good stuff in there... In referring to UCONN's OT loss to ND in the National Semifinals...

It was very difficult,” Banks said Tuesday. “I really wanted to play and I really thought that I could contribute that game. Of course, you have to put in the work in practice in order to play in games.”

And that's the key. I'm sure she felt she could contribute in the game, which means to me that she has an inner self confidence, but I think it was pretty clear last year that in spite of her speed, she was a step slow on the court. It appears she's substantially stepped up and improved over the summer. Gonna be fun to watch this kid grow. I'm betting she and Saniya duke it out for the starting spot when Brianna is a senior...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
More than any other player on the team last year, she was a real enigma. So, so, SOOOO athletically gifted, yet remarkably ineffective much of the time in her on-ball defense.....

The first few games will tell us a lot about Banks' progress as she will probably get a lot of minutes. I like that in the article, she has chosen to focus on defense and not worry about offense as much. She needs work on but I like that she wants to focus on a primary goal. Plus her increased familiarity with the offensive scheme will make her at least somewhat better there by default.

What's the most important step she has taken since she arrived at Storrs? Probably this one:

“A sophomore knows that you have to do all the little things and not take what Coach says personally. That was a big thing for me last year and it kind of messed with my confidence. When he yelled at me I took it personally instead of as constructive criticism. But I came back and my confidence is much higher.”

Reaction Score
Brianna needs to prove to Geno that she can produce when she comes into the game. Brianna also needs to take advantage of the minutes that she is given. Until she gains Geno's confidence Brianna is only going to get limited minutes in games that the outcome has already been determined.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Super excited to see Banks on the floor! I think her and Stokes improvement from freshman to sophomore should be quite interesting.

I am actually excited to see all the women back in action.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Brianna needs to prove to Geno that she can produce when she comes into the game. Brianna also needs to take advantage of the minutes that she is given. Until she gains Geno's confidence Brianna is only going to get limited minutes in games that the outcome has already been determined.

But but but.......IMO there will be many such games (more than usual) where the outcome is decided early, and BB will get a lot of the remaining minutes. In addition she will probably get a *few* more meaningful 1st half minutes than before, though not a ton more. All in all this should = a lot more playing time for Banks.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Brianna clearly has WNBA athleticism.

Given her reputation as a defensive stopper in high school and AAU ball, I thought she could give us good minutes against Diggins, Sims, Schimmel, et al. Hopefully, she can do that this year. The info is encouraging. CD said this summer that Brianna has a new attitude. She can be a real contributor.

Reaction Score
So it seems the Husky Banks of Storrs is open for business with a new charter. Interest is higher than last year, too!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
So it seems the Husky Banks of Storrs is open for business with a new charter. Interest is higher than last year, too!

Can you get a quality CD at such a bank? I'm thinking there's more than one option.

Reaction Score
Can you get a quality CD at such a bank? I'm thinking there's more than one option.
There are two options now, but just one starting May, 2013, so make your plans early.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, they have short term and long term CDs.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it's a repeat or not but some good stuff in there... In referring to UCONN's OT loss to ND in the National Semifinals...

It was very difficult,” Banks said Tuesday. “I really wanted to play and I really thought that I could contribute that game. Of course, you have to put in the work in practice in order to play in games.”

And that's the key. I'm sure she felt she could contribute in the game, which means to me that she has an inner self confidence, but I think it was pretty clear last year that in spite of her speed, she was a step slow on the court. It appears she's substantially stepped up and improved over the summer. Gonna be fun to watch this kid grow. I'm betting she and Saniya duke it out for the starting spot when Brianna is a senior...

Banks will ist need to show it everyday in practice! Defensively is the key for her right now in.#1 in games! Let her take lessons from Kelly.... She is very athletic and has to combine that with performance. Duking it out with Saniya will benefit both of them.
Ira

Reaction Score
My take on Brianna last year was that she was over-thinking in games. On defense she didn't seem to be acting on reflex the way she did in high school and at the AA games. Not sure if it was fatigue or the complexity of the UCONN system or both, but the game seemed to be moving too fast for her...

My guess...and my hope...is that her mental and physical conditioning has reached the point where the game slows down for her and we get to see the real Brianna...I'm looking forward to it!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I sure remember a lot of "matador" defense last season; in great position and folks blew right by her.
If she has solved that problem, then its a big step up.

Reaction Score
I personally think that Geno mismanaged this talent last yr. The leash was way too short on BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom