Brian Davis (Austin American-Statesman) on UConn, Texas & Big 12 Expansion | The Boneyard

Brian Davis (Austin American-Statesman) on UConn, Texas & Big 12 Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is an interview that Matt (UConn07) put up like 10 minutes ago. He probably just got off the phone with Brian Davis. Matt does more work for us than any of the big name CT reporters.

Sorry Matt @UConn07. Appreciate the effort. I'm just a guy who has significant hearing loss, which means I can rarely hear these things clearly....so it makes me cranky.

Really nice interview, and the CC function worked to about 80% accuracy, which helps.

Last edited:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
My prediction: It will be Cincy, Boise St, BYU and Houston. That way they get all the best available football schools, because clearly, that's what they care about- fuhbaw.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Texas will not block UH but schools out of Texas might.

That's some of it.
Translation, UT will not publicly do anything to block UH but will make it clear to their minions in the conference that UH is off the table.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Now I feel like a dickk. My bad.

Nah, that was me for my knee jerk post without thinking. I just hate it when sportswriters put up videos. I go to Boston.com click a link for what looks like it's a good story, and some guy has videotaped himself on his laptop cam. Lame.

This is a radio interview, so totally different.

Reaction Score
The Austin American Statesman writers, like Kirk Bohls and Brian Davis, are pretty much reviled in and around Austin because they imagine that constantly being negative makes them somehow look sophisticated, and also because their inside sources are not very well connected and are often completely wrong.

That said, their unintentional humor sometimes make them somewhat entertaining.

One of the top five sports programs in the country? Along with the Yankees and the Packers?

LMAO!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Sorry Matt @UConn07. Appreciate the effort. I'm just a guy who has significant hearing loss, which means I can rarely hear these things clearly....so it makes me cranky.

Really nice interview, and the CC function worked to about 80% accuracy, which helps.

I don't have hearing loss but, at work, it's much preferable to read a story than watch a video.

Reaction Score
The Austin American Statesman writers, like Kirk Bohls and Brian Davis, are pretty much reviled in and around Austin because they imagine that constantly being negative makes them somehow look sophisticated, and also because their inside sources are not very well connected and are often completely wrong.

That said, their unintentional humor sometimes make them somewhat entertaining.

One of the top five sports programs in the country? Along with the Yankees and the Packers?

LMAO!
Ouch. Moving on...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

LMAO!

Totally agree, the Packers don't belong in that group.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't have hearing loss but, at work, it's much preferable to read a story than watch a video.

Yes, that's another aspect. Often I find it at work, and by the time I'm home, forget it and never watch/listen.

Reaction Score
One more interesting point made by Davis: He says the people at the Big 12 don't really want football only additions. Not necessarily off the table but not preferable.

Reaction Score
He said schools outside of Texas may have issues with Houston joining due to then having 5 Texas schools. Too much power located in one state.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
One more interesting point made by Davis: He says the people at the Big 12 don't really want football only additions. Not necessarily off the table but not preferable.

Yes, and that made sense to me. Football is king, but it isn't everything. There is damned good basketball in the Big 12. They don't want to weaken it. I think that's a big knock on the Florida schools really. UConn and Cinci gain there, and BYU and Memphis to a lesser degree.

Reaction Score
I just hope this is over soon (and that we're invited). If you told me a few years ago that we would be a possible Big 12 team I would've thought you were nuts. We need a seat at the P5 table and its a damn good league, just not a great fit geographically.

Reaction Score
I just hope this is over soon (and that we're invited). If you told me a few years ago that we would be a possible Big 12 team I would've thought you were nuts. We need a seat at the P5 table and its a damn good league, just not a great fit geographically.
Geographic fit is overrated. We bring something they covet and they bring something we covet. Works for me.

Reaction Score
He said schools outside of Texas may have issues with Houston joining due to then having 5 Texas schools. Too much power located in one state.

I think he missed the boat on that point. You only have power if you have alternatives to go elsewhere, ie texas. The other schools i believe are not that found of being drug around, but regardless they can't go with texas in a package of 4 or 5. No other conference would do that in the p5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom