Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Congrats to Bria

10489841_728962040482714_4189929905809596131_n.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw that Leilani is in the line-up, which surprised me.

Congrats to Bria!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Kids. Life's greatest burden, and greatest gift. Go mama Bria. All the best.

Reaction Score
I'm happy for Bria but not to be a "downer" I'm a very pragmatic person, this affects so many areas, mostly negatively:
NOT IN ANY ORDER
1. Surprise Washington you need another PG! This wasn't planned, Mystics can't be thrilled.
2. Who watches/takes care of the baby when Bria's career continues? Does it continue?
3. It's life changing that your whole life and attention goes to the baby, not your career, at least not right away!
4. (see#2.) Do Bria's parents become parents again?
5. How long is Bria's BB sidelined?

I'm not married, no kids, but the ?'s above come to my mind.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My 1st thought - really bad timing.
2nd thought - end of career.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
She, also, had a husband who had an NBA career.
Yes. During her pregnancy and, of course, after childbirth. No one questioned whether Candace would have a future career or who would tend to the kids.

Reaction Score
It's possible that she's had enough of basketball. I'm sure she's aware that she isn't going to get rich on a relatively short, fringe, WNBA career and might like a stable homelife. Assuming she has a degree, she can probably get another job that pays as well or better than she can make playing ball. IMO, putting the rest of your life on hold for that 3-4 months of WNBA, and for that kind of money wouldn't be very attractive. So good luck to her. She may have put more thought into this than it may seem.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Candace Parker and others have had great success after having children.

Hartley is no Candace Parker. She is a marginal player in a very competitive marketplace.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wouldn't call Bria a marginal player, as I think that's pejorative, especially for a 2x AA, but I agree that Candace's situation is very different from Bria's. Tayler Hill missed a full season for childbirth and is now having a good career, also with Washington. Bria has the same possibility.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I am confident that Bria will deal with both motherhood and her career choice. Millions of women do so every day and have done so for centuries. Queens, clergy, doctors, lawyers, senators, CEO's, diplomats, entrepreneurs, and, yes, even basketball players (and some of their coaches).;).

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I'm happy for Bria but not to be a "downer" I'm a very pragmatic person, this affects so many areas, mostly negatively:
NOT IN ANY ORDER
1. Surprise Washington you need another PG! This wasn't planned, Mystics can't be thrilled.
2. Who watches/takes care of the baby when Bria's career continues? Does it continue?
3. It's life changing that your whole life and attention goes to the baby, not your career, at least not right away!
4. (see#2.) Do Bria's parents become parents again?
5. How long is Bria's BB sidelined?

I'm not married, no kids, but the ?'s above come to my mind.
Well, I am married and have kids, and I do not believe that your questions are very fair to Bria. It may be that her pregnancy was not planned, but that doesn't mean that the child is unwanted. Once Bria made the decision to go ahead with the pregnancy (as opposed to quietly getting an abortion), she started down a very different path than she had previously envisioned for herself. Life oftentimes throws you curve balls, but how one responds to these challenge says a lot about a person. Responding to each of your points more specifically:
  1. I'm sure she feels bad about having to leave the Mystics so abruptly, but given the circumstances, she felt it was the right choice for her and her child. It's unfortunate for the Mystics, but these things happen. At this time, her loyalty is to her unborn child, not the Mystics.
  2. Who cares for the child is Bria's responsibility. She can make arrangements that will allow her to continue her basketball career if she chooses, although Europe would seem unlikely. Her hand will not be forced. The father bears responsibility as well, at least financially if he chooses the option that requires the smallest investment of time.
  3. That's true, but who says that's a bad thing for Bria? She can focus on the baby now and later decide if she wants to juggle the child and her career. She's a big girl now. It's not like she is a teenager.
  4. If her parents are like most, they will be overjoyed to welcome another into the family, but I don't think they will expect Bria to dump the child on them. If they raised her well, that thought will never enter Bria's mind. Her parents will be as involved as they wish to be. Again, Bria is in her mid 20's -- she's not a child.
  5. She will miss at least a year, but she may miss more, as she may want to spend more time with her infant. Again, it's up to her, and I trust she'll make a decision that's right for her and her child. As Lisa Simpson states, "The Japanese use the same word for crisis and opportunity." I'll bet that Bria views her pregnancy this way.

Reaction Score
Well, I am married and have kids, and I do not believe that your questions are very fair to Bria. It may be that her pregnancy was not planned, but that doesn't mean that the child is unwanted. Once Bria made the decision to go ahead with the pregnancy (as opposed to quietly getting an abortion), she started down a very different path than she had previously envisioned for herself. Life oftentimes throws you curve balls, but how one responds to these challenge says a lot about a person. Responding to each of your points more specifically:
  1. I'm sure she feels bad about having to leave the Mystics so abruptly, but given the circumstances, she felt it was the right choice for her and her child. It's unfortunate for the Mystics, but these things happen. At this time, her loyalty is to her unborn child, not the Mystics.
  2. Who cares for the child is Bria's responsibility. She can make arrangements that will allow her to continue her basketball career if she chooses, although Europe would seem unlikely. Her hand will not be forced. The father bears responsibility as well, at least financially if he chooses the option that requires the smallest investment of time.
  3. That's true, but who says that's a bad thing for Bria? She can focus on the baby now and later decide if she wants to juggle the child and her career. She's a big girl now. It's not like she is a teenager.
  4. If her parents are like most, they will be overjoyed to welcome another into the family, but I don't think they will expect Bria to dump the child on them. If they raised her well, that thought will never enter Bria's mind. Her parents will be as involved as they wish to be. Again, Bria is in her mid 20's -- she's not a child.
  5. She will miss at least a year, but she may miss more, as she may want to spend more time with her infant. Again, it's up to her, and I trust she'll make a decision that's right for her and her child. As Lisa Simpson states, "The Japanese use the same word for crisis and opportunity." I'll bet that Bria views her pregnancy this way.

Fightin Choke- - -I was just stating the fact that this has more responsibilities than Congrats Bria on having the baby! A lot of people are effected. There is no blame intended just that when things like this occur lives are changed and now hopefully Bria and the father can do what's right for all parties especially the baby!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Congrats, Bria. If you become as good a parent as you were tenacious as a player, that child will certainly be raised well and never lack for love.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
well said...

the things people say
images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members