Brewer to UCLA | The Boneyard

Brewer to UCLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Read on the UCLA board that Alyssia Brewer will transfer to UCLA. I'm guessing the transfer will happen after the completion of the fall semester at Tenn and in time for the Winter quarter at UCLA which begins after Jan 1st. This would make her eligible to play in December 2012.

Good pickup for UCLA if only for a season. It'll help the new coach put together a decent team as she w0rks on rebuilding the program.

Still scratching my head over this one...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i'm with you on that Cat. i could see transferring after your sophomore year, MAYBE even after a junior year if you were unhappy enough, but to leave the team at the start of your senior year indicates more going on than meets the eye. to me it does anyway.

still, good for UCLA. i'm not sure how much she will really contribute - if she plays starting December 2012, she basically gives them a half a year. could she play fall of 2013? seems doubtful. still, if Alyssia is happy and UCLA is happy, then that's all that really matters...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If she transfers after the fall semester she'd be eligible to play after the conclusions of classes in mid-December 2012. Depending on the schedule which will begin mid-November, she'd miss about 5-8 OOC games.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I checked UCLA's academic calendar and it's possible she could actually transfer immediately and be eligible to play when the '12-'13 season begins next fall. UCLA is on the quarter system and began classes less than 2 weeks ago. I don't know what the deadline is for registering for classes but it's possible she could get in before the deadline.

Reaction Score
What if she graduates a semester early from Tennessee? If she graduates at the end of this semester, won't she be eligible right away at UCLA? Although, I would think she would want to wait so she can play a whole year. If you graduate from an institution and then transfer, I believe the sit out a year rule doesn't apply. Look at Greg Paulus. He graduated from Duke in May and the very next fall he was the starting QB for the Syracuse football team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What if she graduates a semester early from Tennessee? If she graduates at the end of this semester, won't she be eligible right away at UCLA? Although, I would think she would want to wait so she can play a whole year. If you graduate from an institution and then transfer, I believe the sit out a year rule doesn't apply. Look at Greg Paulus. He graduated from Duke in May and the very next fall he was the starting QB for the Syracuse football team.

Interesting point. There might also be health and conditioning issues to factor in the decision. It's been mentioned that she's not fully healthy/or conditioned after the foot problems she had last year. It would seem to benefit both Brewer and UCLA if she uses the time to get herself fully healed and in shape.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
that's what i was trying to ask about but today English is not my first language! :confused:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From Hoopgurlz twitter:

"Alyssia Brewer will start school at UCLA 10/7 per her Cal Storm coach George Quintero. Will sit 1, play 1 after transferring from Tennessee."

So, she will be able to enroll at UCLA in time for the Fall quarter. Sounds like location (Brewer is from OK but played AAU ball with a CA team) and the academic calendar made UCLA a good fit. The timing of the decision ruled out transferring immediately to schools on a semester calendar.

Reaction Score
Perhaps academics had something to do with her decision...

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
I don't see it being academics when transferring to a more difficult school. Just a thought...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't see it being academics when transferring to a more difficult school. Just a thought...
Academics is more than grades. It may be the area she is majoring in and that other schools are stronger in that major and that the degree from UCLA is a bigger asset in that discipline.

Reaction Score
Academics is more than grades. It may be the area she is majoring in and that other schools are stronger in that major and that the degree from UCLA is a bigger asset in that discipline.

That seems INCREDIBLY unlikely in this case.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

And she came to this realization 6 weeks into the fall semester of her senior year? Really?

As suggested above, the choice of UCLA seems to be a combination of a school with a need + a school where her former AAU coach has some contacts + an academic calendar that allowed her to transfer immediately and play an entire season after sitting out the requisite year.

The reason she's no longer at Tenn is likely because her lack of conditioning and fitness were deemed to be the result of a lack of commitment and investment rather than an injured foot that is not fully healed.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The reason she's no longer at Tenn is likely because her lack of conditioning and fitness were deemed to be the result of a lack of commitment and investment rather than an injured foot that is not fully healed.
i agree that academics probably had zero to do with it. but i'm not sure that all the fault lies with Brewer, if that is what you are saying. something is going on there and at this point the casual fan really has no idea.

Cain opted to forgo her senior year of playing (said it was due to injuries). Avant left as well, apparently feeling she was recruited over with Massengale coming. now Brewer, the last pure center they have decides to leave midway into her senior year. even if her fitness wasn't 100% and her commitment to conditioning left something to be desired, it would be like if we lost Kiah and Stef to transfers and Heather suddenly decided to leave now as well.

i'm not saying there wasn't some kind of commitment issue - i have no idea, but when you have that many kids leaving the program in such a short period of time, it appears that something else is going on.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
i agree that academics probably had zero to do with it. but i'm not sure that all the fault lies with Brewer, if that is what you are saying. something is going on there and at this point the casual fan really has no idea.

I wasn't suggesting that any fault lies with Brewer. I'm suggesting that Brewer's lack of conditioning and fitness were deemed to be the result of her failure to commit and invest by the one person who uses those words a lot and whose opinion mattered the most.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And she came to this realization 6 weeks into the fall semester of her senior year? Really?

As suggested above, the choice of UCLA seems to be a combination of a school with a need + a school where her former AAU coach has some contacts + an academic calendar that allowed her to transfer immediately and play an entire season after sitting out the requisite year.

No she announced she was leaving the team awhile ago before school started. She has likely been looking for a place to transfer and acceptance into a program. Those things take time. I am amazed it happened this soon. It may well be conditioning but I have not seen that so stated anywhere, not even on ..... well, you know.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That seems INCREDIBLY unlikely in this case.
Why say that?

I can't say it is or it isn't but I don't see reasons why it is not potentially true either. Since we don't know if her major it may have changed directions or it may be a program that will require five years to complete as many do today. We simply have no way of knowing.

My point was simply that an explanation of academics can involve much more than grades themselves. Given she is moving up in academic quality of the school it is unlikely that grades were the issue.

We do know that she was no longer on the team, instead of wasting time she looked for new opportunities as soon as possible.

To the best of my knowledge all that has been said is she is transferring to UCLA. Nothing I've seen said she will be playing ball there, just that she would have a year of eligibility remaining. She may well use that while she completes a Masters program there. Several girls have done that over the past few years at different schools.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No she announced she was leaving the team awhile ago before school started. She has likely been looking for a place to transfer and acceptance into a program. Those things take time. I am amazed it happened this soon.

That's not accurate. Classes at Tenn began August 17 and Brewer was enrolled as a student and participating in preseason workouts. Summitt announced that Brewer was no longer part of the team on September 15; Brewer made no announcement. According to the UCLA board Brewer was visiting on Monday and her decision to transfer to UCLA became known yesterday.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's not accurate. Classes at Tenn began August 17 and Brewer was enrolled as a student and participating in preseason workouts. Summitt announced that Brewer was no longer part of the team on September 15; Brewer made no announcement. According to the UCLA board Brewer was visiting on Monday and her decision to transfer to UCLA became known yesterday.
I reread what I wrote and it did not read correct. Her departure from the team has been known for two weeks. She has been looking since at least then. I did not meant it to sound like she was looking for an extended period of time in the summer. Our schools here finally had their first full week of school last week because of the flooding in PA. Overnight we had more flood warnings and another three inches of rain. My referential to before school started was incorrectly based on our schools here. Drew an incorrect parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom