Breanna Stewart scores 29 points leading the Storm to a 98-81 win over the Sun | The Boneyard

Breanna Stewart scores 29 points leading the Storm to a 98-81 win over the Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Bone had 10 points in 12 minutes... but also had 4 fouls, a lot of activity by her but she didnt crash the boards

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
But seattle got murdered on the offensive boards - amazing to see a team give up that many second chances and still dominate.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
almost a 30 attempt difference in fga... weird numbers

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
And Dee scored 5 treys in a win. Tina and Kiah were one-two on the scoreboard in a one point victory.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
But seattle got murdered on the offensive boards - amazing to see a team give up that many second chances and still dominate.
Seattle shot 77% in the 1st quarter and 70% in the first half. Overall, they shot 61% to 38% for Connecticut. There weren't many misses to pick up. They also made more threes and more free throws. But, other than Stewie, they are not a good rebounding team. This was like a UConn game--Seattle took a quick 10-0 lead, expended it to 17-2, and never looked back.

Reaction Score
Two parts to this: 1. Congrats to Stew--I doubt this surprises many Uconn fans Sue Bird, no spring chicken but still out shining the kids Congrats!!!! Fell bad for the Uconn kids on the Sun--but that's the business.
2. KML--I love this woman--but with her lack of sterling defense and not showing the offense we all have come to expect-----I wonder about her future. Hopefully Europe or China will see her potential.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Two parts to this: 1. Congrats to Stew--I doubt this surprises many Uconn fans Sue Bird, no spring chicken but still out shining the kids Congrats!!!! Fell bad for the Uconn kids on the Sun--but that's the business.
2. KML--I love this woman--but with her lack of sterling defense and not showing the offense we all have come to expect-----I wonder about her future. Hopefully Europe or China will see her potential.

To piggyback on your comment on KML...........I echo those sentiments also. Last year she was not an integral part of the team. So far THIS season, She's still relegated to the bench, rarely logging double digit minutes per game. I check her (Kiah, Stewie, Morgan, Moriah, Dolson and Hartley) game stats after every game. This raises a curious thought, how long will the Storm keep her if she does not make any appreciable/measurable progress?. We can't tell how she's progressing day to day. Only the staff and her teammates know. I'll wait until the end of the season before I attempt to draw any conclusions on her future with the team. Bottom line, she's got to pass the eye test. The Storm have got to see some potential value in her, to keep her. She's got to move away from the end of the bench. If not, you know what the outcome of failing to do so will be. Every year new players come into the league trying to take your job/spot on the roster. :confused:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One real downside for Kaleena is that she plays with Seattle's second unit, which is not very good. No one can get her the ball in advantageous positions. Additionally, even if most of the first line players are in, but Sue is out, the ball doesn't move very well. If Kaleena could get Alysha Clark's spot and play with Stewie, Jewell, and Sue, I think her productivity would leap.

Reaction Score
One real downside for Kaleena is that she plays with Seattle's second unit, which is not very good. No one can get her the ball in advantageous positions. Additionally, even if most of the first line players are in, but Sue is out, the ball doesn't move very well. If Kaleena could get Alysha Clark's spot and play with Stewie, Jewell, and Sue, I think her productivity would leap.
Alysha is not a good player in any respect, her rebounding is atrocious her assists are almost non-existent with 3 good scorers on the team. The past 3 games rebounds were 0, 1, 3, and the coach talks before the game, we need someone besides Stewie to rebound. If the coach doesn't get better, Stewie, and Jewell need to get out of there. Sue has been getting more rebounds then Alysha, and that should never happen. Alysha gets about 3.4 rebounds a game as a starting forward, that on any other team, Pro or College would get you a seat on the bench.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Alysha is not a good player in any respect, her rebounding is atrocious her assists are almost non-existent with 3 good scorers on the team. The past 3 games rebounds were 0, 1, 3, and the coach talks before the game, we need someone besides Stewie to rebound. If the coach doesn't get better, Stewie, and Jewell need to get out of there. Sue has been getting more rebounds then Alysha, and that should never happen. Alysha gets about 3.4 rebounds a game as a starting forward, that on any other team, Pro or College would get you a seat on the bench.

Clark is currently 5th for Seattle in rebounds/36 minutes. She is behind Stewart, Langhorne, Tokashiki, and Gatling, all who play power forward or center. She is a small forward and is small for a small forward (5'10 in most listings).

The other small forward options for Seattle are O'Hea (6'1) and KML (5'11). O'Hea is at 3.5 reb/36 and KML is at 1.2 reb/36. Clark gets 4.4 rebounds/36.

Now, KML hasn't played much this year but last year she was at 2.6 rebs/36.

Clark is shooting 51.3% FG/42.9% 3FG/87.9% FT this year. KML is shooting 31.6% FG/ 20.0% 3FG/71.4% FT this year after shooting 39.0% FG/28.1% 3FG/87.5% FT last year.

Clark is by no means great but she is the best option Seattle has at the 3 spot. Nothing KML has done -at the pro level-suggests she should be starting instead.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Clark is currently 5th for Seattle in rebounds/36 minutes. She is behind Stewart, Langhorne, Tokashiki, and Gatling, all who play power forward or center. She is a small forward and is small for a small forward (5'10 in most listings).

The other small forward options for Seattle are O'Hea (6'1) and KML (5'11). O'Hea is at 3.5 reb/36 and KML is at 1.2 reb/36. Clark gets 4.4 rebounds/36.

Now, KML hasn't played much this year but last year she was at 2.6 rebs/36.

Clark is shooting 51.3% FG/42.9% 3FG/87.9% FT this year. KML is shooting 31.6% FG/ 20.0% 3FG/71.4% FT this year after shooting 39.0% FG/28.1% 3FG/87.5% FT last year.

Clark is by no means great but she is the best option Seattle has at the 3 spot. Nothing KML has done -at the pro level-suggests she should be starting instead.

All good points. I will also say that having seen off-court pics of Ms Clark....... she could start for my team anytime :cool::p:D;):)

Reaction Score
To piggyback on your comment on KML......I echo those sentiments also. Last year she was not an integral part of the team. So far THIS season, She's still relegated to the bench, rarely logging double digit minutes per game. I check her (Kiah, Stewie, Morgan, Moriah, Dolson and Hartley) game stats after every game. This raises a curious thought, how long will the Storm keep her if she does not make any appreciable/measurable progress?. We can't tell how she's progressing day to day. Only the staff and her teammates know. I'll wait until the end of the season before I attempt to draw any conclusions on her future with the team. Bottom line, she's got to pass the eye test. The Storm have got to see some potential value in her, to keep her. She's got to move away from the end of the bench. If not, you know what the outcome of failing to do so will be. Every year new players come into the league trying to take your job/spot on the roster. :confused:

There is one New Kid on the block that is worth every penny and then some --this fits 2 or more Uconn standouts--but I speak of Stewie. SHe is hitting the floor running and scoring--I expected it but few meet expectations--Stew shines brightly.

Another Uconn, super good non-star, is out shining others and beating the expectations of some if not many---Kiah Stokes--a value pick.

Sometimes a new coaching staff tries hard to change a College now pro player and it ruins them--I read a bit about KML being required to lose weight. If you follow Geno he rarely messes with a kids shooting style --unless they are missing more than making. Often a good "leaving alone" works wonders.

Carnac

Reaction Score
There is one New Kid on the block that is worth every penny and then some --this fits 2 or more Uconn standouts--but I speak of Stewie. SHe is hitting the floor running and scoring--I expected it but few meet expectations--Stew shines brightly.

Another Uconn, super good non-star, is out shining others and beating the expectations of some if not many---Kiah Stokes--a value pick.

Sometimes a new coaching staff tries hard to change a College now pro player and it ruins them--I read a bit about KML being required to lose weight. If you follow Geno he rarely messes with a kids shooting style --unless they are missing more than making. Often a good "leaving alone" works wonders.

Completely agree on Stokes. Kiah is slowly coming around. Her UConn pedigree is evident. Liberty head coach Bill Laimbeer (like Jerry West) can see potential talent when others don't. West saw Kobi Bryant's potential when Kobi was still in high school. Kobi was the first guard to ever be taken out of high school. Bryant was chosen as the 13th overall draft pick by the Charlotte Hornets in 1996. West traded for Bryant right after the draft.

If you remember, trader Bill traded UP to get Kiah in the first round last year. He had already made Brittany Boyd (Cal) the 9th pick in the first round. He drafted Kiah two picks later at #11.
Kiah usually plays more minutes than several of the starters. Laimbeer depends on her now. Stokes has earned his trust. Carolyn Swords starts the game at the 5, but Kiah finishes it. She's always in the game at the end. Stokes has become Laimbeer's chief "rim protector" (CRP).

Kiah is better than she was at this time last year, but she's not as good as she will be this time next year. She keeps getting better every day. I watched the entire Liberty/Mercury game yesterday. Kiah is doing things offensively that she did not do at UConn.

She's 7th in the league in rebounds with 8.1. She's third in the league in blocks behind Elizabeth Williams and Brittany Griner with 2.1 (She leads the team with 31.Tthe next closest player has 9). She's 3rd on the team (behind Charles & Rogers) in total minutes with 404. She's averaging 7.9 points a game. She's gaining and maturity and confidence with every game. Her points/rebound numbers are increasing. She's had several double-doubles already this season. I expect Kiah to average a double-double in two more years. At 23 years old, she is a long way from peaking athletically. Kiah's stock (and popularity) is definitely on the rise in the BIG apple. ;) Stay tuned.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Below is the result of the first round WNBA draft of 2015. Only Elizabeth Williams and Jewel Loyd are starters.
Bottom line: of the 12 players selected, 2 are starting, 2 are no longer in the league. KML is doing better than two of her classmates, and hanging on/in like eight others.

1. Seattle: Jewell Loyd
2. Tulsa: Amanda Zahui B. - (Now with N.Y. Liberty)
3. Seattle: Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis
4. Connecticut: Elizabeth Williams - (Now with the Atlanta Dream)
5. Chicago: Cheyenne Parker
6. San Antonio: Dearica Hamby
7. Los Angeles: Crystal Bradford*- Waived (not active)
8. Washington:Ally Mallot
9. New York: Brittany Boyd
10. Atlanta: Samantha Logic* - Waived (not active)
11. New York: Kiah Stokes
12. Phoenix: Isabelle Harrison

* Not on the drafting team's active roster. Not listed on the WNBA's active player list. It is assumed that the player was waived.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Below is the result of the first round WNBA draft of 2015. Only Elizabeth Williams and Jewel Loyd are starters.
Bottom line: of the 12 players selected, 2 are starting, 2 are no longer in the league. KML is doing better than two of her classmates, and hanging on/in like eight others.

1. Seattle: Jewell Loyd
2. Tulsa: Amanda Zahui B. - (Now with N.Y. Liberty)
3. Seattle: Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis
4. Connecticut: Elizabeth Williams - (Now with the Atlanta Dream)
5. Chicago: Cheyenne Parker
6. San Antonio: Dearica Hamby
7. Los Angeles: Crystal Bradford*- Waived (not active)
8. Washington:Ally Mallot
9. New York: Brittany Boyd
10. Atlanta: Samantha Logic* - Waived (not active)
11. New York: Kiah Stokes
12. Phoenix: Isabelle Harrison

* Not on the drafting team's active roster. Not listed on the WNBA's active player list. It is assumed that the player was waived.
Jewell starts and gets major minutes. She's progressing nicely along the learning curve.

AZB is getting a little more PT now, but is clearly behind Kiah.

EWill is a strong candidate for Most Improved Player.

Hamby is playing pretty well for a weak SA team.

Ally doesn't play much but got 1st half action on Sunday.

Boyd looks pretty good as a PG reserve who brings energy.

Izzy played a little on Friday night. She seemed to be moving well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom