Breanna Stewart - ESPN - "I just want another one." | The Boneyard

Breanna Stewart - ESPN - "I just want another one."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12816580/just-want-another-one

Breanna: "I have high expectations for myself. Whether it's shooting a jump shot or getting a rebound, I'm not thinking, "Oh, I've got to make this so we win the game." I'm thinking, "I'm making it." It's the confidence level I've always had, and I've built it as I've gained success on the court."

UConn women's basketball culture and practice development appear to be light years ahead of other contenders ... mental and physical, individual and team, dynamics cannot be recreated by using a formula ... Breanna understands this ...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"I practice hard. But I never practiced that hard. And once you figure it out, it kind of opens your eyes to other things. That's why, if you watch our team, everything is so fluid, so natural, because that's how we practice." An ESPN commentator/analyst - Kara maybe - noted that UConn's game was "beautiful to watch" when they are on. As fans we have sort of gotten use to that. Others, with little or no experience with UConn's game, are blown away by the ball movement and precision. Yup, spoiled and loving it. And I certainly hope Stewie, Morgan and MoJeff get that dream accomplished.

Reaction Score
For me Breanna's comments highlight the real challenge of recruiting for Geno. He speaks of it often. Where does he go to find the kind of player that will sacrifice playing time, be unrelentingly unselfish when she has to be, and yet can step up with confidence when needed to take the critical shot.

More and more I think that the mental component needed to be a Huskie is half the package. That's why "a chubby girl" (Geno's quote) from upstate NY becomes an athletic icon. Mental toughness, and perhaps more importantly, the inner confidence needed to survive the emotionally draining UCONN practice/training regimen.

Geno finds the Dolson's (of all sizes) and then torques them into the fluid machine that we have been fortunate enough to watch play for a generation.

Reaction Score
For me Breanna's comments highlight the real challenge of recruiting for Geno. He speaks of it often. Where does he go to find the kind of player that will sacrifice playing time, be unrelentingly unselfish when she has to be, and yet can step up with confidence when needed to take the critical shot.

More and more I think that the mental component needed to be a Huskie is half the package. That's why "a chubby girl" (Geno's quote) from upstate NY becomes an athletic icon. Mental toughness, and perhaps more importantly, the inner confidence needed to survive the emotionally draining UCONN practice/training regimen.

Geno finds the Dolson's (of all sizes) and then torques them into the fluid machine that we have been fortunate enough to watch play for a generation.

Right on Bonpland - only thing I would change is the % of the winning package that is MENTAL. It is 51% and up. Jimmy Connors/Chris Evert in Tennis had talent, but were big winners because of their head. Same with Brady, Pete Rose, Larry Bird, etc. Too many times teams or an athlete has the best talent - on paper- but they don't produce or execute.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12816580/just-want-another-one

Breanna: "I have high expectations for myself. Whether it's shooting a jump shot or getting a rebound, I'm not thinking, "Oh, I've got to make this so we win the game." I'm thinking, "I'm making it." It's the confidence level I've always had, and I've built it as I've gained success on the court."

UConn women's basketball culture and practice development appear to be light years ahead of other contenders ... mental and physical, individual and team, dynamics cannot be recreated by using a formula ... Breanna understands this ...
She just wants her fair share, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom