Breaking UCF News! | The Boneyard

Breaking UCF News!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Email that UCF President Dr. Hitt sent to student body today.

Submitted by: Sandra Cherepow
Submitted for: John C. Hitt, President
Subject: UCF Responds to NCAA Allegations

Earlier this year, the NCAA began an investigation of possible infractions committed by the UCF football and men's basketball programs. We recently received the NCAA's report.

I expect our athletics leadership to set the standard for compliance with the NCAA. In our initial evaluation of the NCAA report, we clearly see that our athletics leadership did not live up to that standard.

Therefore, today I accepted the resignation of Director of Athletics Keith Tribble. Assistant football coach David Kelly also resigned, and I suspended men's basketball coach Donnie Jones for three conference games without pay and will issue him an official letter of reprimand.

The NCAA reported multiple violations and specifically cited Tribble and Kelly for unethical conduct when meeting with NCAA investigators. They will have the opportunity to personally challenge these allegations with the NCAA.

I thank former AD Tribble and former assistant coach Kelly for their many positive contributions to UCF and wish them well in the future.

Additionally, I have ordered that we begin a comprehensive review of the Athletics Association, the goal of which is to help us strengthen our commitment to compliance with the NCAA.

We cooperated fully with the NCAA during its investigation, which does not involve football coach George O'Leary or any sports beyond football and men's basketball.

Earlier today, I reached out to Conference USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky and Big East Commissioner John Marinatto to personally inform them of our actions. Both had been aware of the ongoing NCAA investigation.

This report will not impact our conference realignment prospects.

UCF will immediately begin a national search for its new director of Athletics.

I have appointed Al Harms, UCF's vice president for Strategy, Marketing, Communications and Admissions, as interim director of Athletics. A retired Navy vice admiral, he previously served as interim director of Athletics in 2006. Among other duties, he currently oversees UCF football game day operations.

Admiral Harms is a leader of extraordinary integrity who has my complete confidence. No one is better suited to begin this rebuilding process.

The NCAA grants institutions 90 days to respond to the allegations. During this time, UCF will further review the report to determine how to move forward. As part of that review, we will consider possible institutional penalties we could self-impose.

I expect our entire athletics program -- from the walk-ons to the All Americans, the trainers to the coaches, the athletics administration to our boosters - to play by the rules. Nothing else is acceptable.

To our fans, I pledge this: UCF will address these problems in a clear, consistent, and just manner

Later today, we will post more information about the NCAA report and our actions at http://www.today.ucf.edu.

Reaction Score
Doesn't say what exactly they did. The Big East is desperate enough that they'll still invite them, but this certainly isn't good for their program, and it looks like the assistant was the fall guy for O'Leary. I suspect they felt if they fired all of their top head coaches and their AD, the BE would take back it's invitation. Who knows, still a marginal add if you ask me, and now it appears as though their basketball program will take a major step back.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
can we really add them now? 2 years ago they were fball and bball ready. now they are not. usf must be just beside themselves.

Reaction Score
Also, nice PR move to release this today when absolutely no one in the college football world will pay a second of attention to it.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Wow. Just wow.

Is this a lost season for college athletics or what?...

Reaction Score
If they're a repeat offender, what are the potential violations?

Surely, O"Leary had nothing to do with this and is a saint, but Calhoun is a cheater.

Reaction Score
The David Kelly sleeze factor strikes again.
Of course O'Leary was all in being that Kelly was on his staff at Gatech.
Kelly was the assistant at Univ Georgia who had an affair with the lady dog gymnastic coach (name?) and was running buddy at LSU with former 2-week old Pitt head coach Mike Haywood. The two were know on campus as the "grusome twosome"

Tribble was once the director of Orange Bowl. Blowback is a bitch as he was instrumental in stripping the BiG East of its tie in with the bowl for no reason other than espn telling him to do so.

Reaction Score
The David Kelly sleeze factor strikes again.
Of course O'Leary was all in being that Kelly was on his staff at Gatech.
Kelly was the assistant at Univ Georgia who had an affair with the lady dog gymnastic coach (name?) and was running buddy at LSU with former 2-week old Pitt head coach Mike Haywood. The two were know on campus as the "grusome twosome"

Tribble was once the director of Orange Bowl. Blowback is a bitch as he was instrumental in stripping the BiG East of its tie in with the bowl for no reason other than espn telling him to do so.
Do you have a photo of the gymnastic coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom