Boykin transferring | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Boykin transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
She wanted to be closer to home could have been good enough...its kind of a standard response..satisfying posters needs/questions shouldn't necessarily be Gino's objective...
Well, it's more than just posters of course - it's media, other interested parties within the WCBB universe - and, just because it shouldn't be "Gino's" objective, doesn't mean that my point about him being in a "no-win" position isn't applicable.
Plus, you seem to be advocating a "good enough.. standard response", which may be true, or may be an outright lie, depending on the situation.

Reaction Score
Her departure will have an enormous impact on next year's roster. Even assuming that Morgan stays for another year, we will be very thin in the front court. KLS is not strong enough and does not seem to have the mentality to be a forward; so, it's gonna be Butler, Collier, Tuck, Williams. I don't see Irwin adding much, at least not next year. Consequently, I don't see how this group will compete with the top programs' front line.
As for the back court, I am excited by the prospect of having Crystal; but, she won't replace MoJeff ... not right away.
So, unless Geno and his recruiters come up with some additional last-minute talented height, we may be looking at the end of this incredible run.
But, we have this year to enjoy; and, we have Geno.
So, why worry. Enjoy.

Reaction Score
Geno has won championships with guard oriented teams several times. The 2003 and 2004 teams has Will Crockett, Jess Moore, Barbara Turner and Ashley Battle in the front out. Yes, that team had Diana Taurasi but next year the Huskies will have Katie Lou. I would say the remaining roster of this years team is better than the 2003 and 2004 teams too. I'm going to wait to see how next year plays out before getting concerned.

You’ve got to "Dance with Who Brung You” - or as Coach Dales (Gene Hackman) said in the greatest sports movie - ever, “My team is on the floor.”

We’ve learned some things about UConn in the past few years – one is that they don’t fill positions or necessarily even think of positions, at least in the 1-2-3-4-5 sense that we so often discuss; back in the day, when Stefanie Dolson came out it was rarely Heather Buck, the only other true “5”, that went in – sometimes things work better with another “2” or “3”. And also, we know that Geno and Chris try to develop their players into more all-around basketball players no matter what their nominal position is, so that by the time they graduated Stefanie had a decent 3-point shot and Kaleena was a pretty good rebounder.

The players that are here next year will adapt and compensate for whatever weaknesses they may have as a team. They always have.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Her departure will have an enormous impact on next year's roster. Even assuming that Morgan stays for another year, we will be very thin in the front court. KLS is not strong enough and does not seem to have the mentality to be a forward; so, it's gonna be Butler, Collier, Tuck, Williams. I don't see Irwin adding much, at least not next year. Consequently, I don't see how this group will compete with the top programs' front line.
As for the back court, I am excited by the prospect of having Crystal; but, she won't replace MoJeff ... not right away.
So, unless Geno and his recruiters come up with some additional last-minute talented height, we may be looking at the end of this incredible run.
So, why worry. Enjoy.
Considering we are playing this year with Tuck (6'2") and Stewart (6'4" - who doesn't strike me as a post type in the same way that Lou doesn't) and a converted guard as our front line with Collier (a freshman) off the bench and we seem to be satisfying everyone's expectations and holding our own - next year does not seem that desperate. Butler at 6'5" strikes me as an improvement in the height/strength category.
Post players for next year of Butler (senior/junior eligibility) Williams (junior) Collier (sophomore) Irwin (freshman) with Lou (sophomore) as a swing type player who may play down low on defense and on the wing on offense really doesn't look that bad to me. If Tuck returns, the post actually looks to be a strength to me.
Replacing Moriah and Breanna is going to be a large order, but if the chemistry is right it should work pretty well. I am as concerned about the guard transition as i am about the forward/post positions.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Regarding De'Janae's plans, here is what looks like a good and possible/probable option: GWU.

GWU is in the heart of DC, about 10 miles from DJB's home.

GWU has solid academics.

GWU has been ranked some of the past 2 years and plays a good schedule, such as Stanford and Tennessee.

The current star at GW, Jonquel Jones, is probably a top-5 WNBA draft pick. She was a McD's AA and enrolled at Clemson before transferring to GWU. Jonquel starred at Riverdale Baptist. When she was a senior, the team had an up-and-coming freshman--De'Janae. I would think that DJB has been in touch with JJ.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Considering we are playing this year with Tuck (6'2") and Stewart (6'4" - who doesn't strike me as a post type in the same way that Lou doesn't) and a converted guard as our front line with Collier (a freshman) off the bench and we seem to be satisfying everyone's expectations and holding our own - next year does not seem that desperate. Butler at 6'5" strikes me as an improvement in the height/strength category.
Post players for next year of Butler (senior/junior eligibility) Williams (junior) Collier (sophomore) Irwin (freshman) with Lou (sophomore) as a swing type player who may play down low on defense and on the wing on offense really doesn't look that bad to me. If Tuck returns, the post actually looks to be a strength to me.
Replacing Moriah and Breanna is going to be a large order, but if the chemistry is right it should work pretty well. I am as concerned about the guard transition as i am about the forward/post positions.
I think that Crystal grows into Moriah's role, possibly early on. There are many similarities between them, including both size and being the highest-rated guards on their classes. Stewie is unique and will be harder to replace. But Lou has NPOY potential.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
For instance in the current case, DJB was having academic issues. And people all over make the assumption (and that is all it is) that she was struggling to keep up in class. While that might be a possible explanation, another possible is there are students who choose to take a very full courseload, and then wind up "sacrificing" team stuff for class stuff. In that case, the team would find academic issues - but from the student perspective, it's athletic issues.

I don't know what the actual issue was, but this is off base. She's there on an athletic scholarship. That's the entire reason for her getting a free ride. They have a number of team specific academic advisers and tutors, who ensure the girls schedules are managed accordingly. If there's an academic issue, it's usually one of three things: 1. the kid isn't doing the work 2. the kid can't keep up with a normal course load, or three (more rare) the kid took too many classes relative to her ability to handle schoolwork and basketball in conjunction. The last one is rare, because the advisers generally keep this from happening ahead of time.

As a student athlete, you can't have an 'athletic issue' with regards to school work. It's your job to be able to manage both. If you can't, and you sacrifice team stuff, you don't belong in the program. Stop playing sports and pay for college like everyone else.

Reaction Score
Right, size is overrated. ND is getting by now with a 6'2 (listed, I swear she's closer to 6'1) center and 4 guards. It can be done.

UConn has a plausible starting lineup next year of Butler-Tuck-Samuelson-Collier-Nurse. By height: 6'5 - 6'2 - 6'3 - 6'1 - 6'0

Losing Boykin does hurt the post depth but UConn still has plenty of size. It might just mean Geno has to use some players at forward that he hadn't originally intended to.

Good points. Geno also loves speed.

Reaction Score
Geno has won championships with guard oriented teams several times. The 2003 and 2004 teams had Will Crockett, Jess Moore, Barbara Turner and Ashley Battle in the frontcourt. Yes, that team had Diana Taurasi but next year the Huskies will have Katie Lou. I would say the remaining roster of this year's team is better than the 2003 and 2004 teams too. I'm going to wait to see how next year plays out before getting concerned.

Finally...a voice of reason. Can't we just enjoy this year?!

Reaction Score
1. Jessica Moore 6'-3"

2. We had 3 exceptional 6'-2" seniors. We will not have them next year.

3. The quality of Opposition has gone up considerably in 15 yrs.

4. Feeling worse now that fans need to be told about 2 and 3.

Let's just pack it in for next year. This is it, folks. This is the last year...God bless us, one and all!!

Reaction Score
For anyone trying to knock that UCONN has had transfers, are you kidding me? I read that someone was surprised that over Geno's entire career he has had what he or she deems as "so many transfers?" Are you kidding me?

We're amongst the greatest basketball programs EVER. Superstars are going to get the bulk of the minutes. Geno is NOT there to coach and make ALL THE PLAYERS "happy" with playing time. Like a super team that steps on an opponents throat and doesn't let up, Geno is that type of super coach. If that bothers you -- I don't know what else to say. Maybe you should find another sport/team to enjoy?

GG

Reaction Score
So, why worry. Enjoy.
I was expecting some drop off going into next year regardless. There is no way we can sustain the current run. Even UCONN had a couple of "down years" post-DT. We cannot win the NC every year.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
For anyone trying to knock that UCONN has had transfers, are you kidding me? I read that someone was surprised that over Geno's entire career he has had what he or she deems as "so many transfers?" Are you kidding me?

We're amongst the greatest basketball programs EVER. Superstars are going to get the bulk of the minutes. Geno is NOT there to coach and make ALL THE PLAYERS "happy" with playing time. Like a super team that steps on an opponents throat and doesn't let up, Geno is that type of super coach. If that bothers you -- I don't know what else to say. Maybe you should find another sport/team to enjoy?
Someone asked John Wooden once how he kept his players happy, given that he had so many talented players but played a short rotation. Wooden said something like:

"It's not my job to make them happy. It's my job to make them better basketball players."

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I was expecting some drop off going into next year regardless. There is no way we can sustain the current run. Even UCONN had a couple of "down years" post-DT. We cannot win the NC every year.

UCONN had a drop off post D largely because of a number of recruiting whiffs. Whether it was players going elsewhere, players leaving, and/or players not turning out as expected.

Recruiting is still currently gangbusters, so I'm expecting next years team to be a very real shot for a 5th straight title (I'm looking at you Mo/Stu).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Good Luck to DJB. This thread soundsl like fans are panicking. We have a very talented roster going into next season. Nurse is great. Saniya has experience and makes very few mistakes. Butler is 6'5 and averaged a double double. Collier and Katie Lou are top picks. Ek is a great shooter and along with Katie Lou their shots will come around before the end of the season and then look out. Dangerfield and company come in next season and that's a class although not ranked highly will be a very good class. Irwin at 6'2 can rebound.

So what are we looking at. Butler averaged a double double. Collier is a very good rebounder and puts up great stats. We have a pretty good defense but what we really have is a balanced scoring attack. What we need to work on is chemistry. Our front line of 6'5 6'3 6'2 and if Tuck stays we are really good again. Understand that this season we are blowing teams out. The teams we don't beat by 20+ is a direct result of getting our underclassman more time and ready for next season. So by beating most teams by 20+ and losing Mojeff and Stewie who for arguments sake put up 30-35 pts per game on average every game we are not going to lose that much scoring by replacing them with Collier and Katie Lou. Where we need to pick it up is on defense as Stewie and Mojeff are two heck of a defenders. Next years team will be different then this years team which is true every year. We have the ingredients and with Boykin transferring we will attract some really good players because we now have openings.

I would not be surprised to see to see Geno pull a recruit out of his pocket before the end of the season. JMO

It would not surprise me either. I know Geno does not recruit junior college players as a rule, but if the staff could find a big that was "serviceable" for the next two years, that would be a help (and an option). A player coming out of a junior college this year, would be eligible to play D-1 next year. I don't expect to find any diamonds in the rough at the JC level, just a big that can come in and give Natalie a blow, or sub in if she gets hurt or in foul trouble. You can chew that any way you want to, but we're going to need another big from somewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exactly. Good overall team but wont have that go to player we usually have. I was thinking at least two rebuilding years. Its ok I like watching the players turn themselves into first time champs.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Exactly. Good overall team but wont have that go to player we usually have. I was thinking at least two rebuilding years. Its ok I like watching the players turn themselves into first time champs.

Two rebuilding years means post 2018, meaning after Nurse, Butler, and Williams graduate. The year after that they lose Collier and Samuelson. Boykin's departure should open up a spot to add one extra player in '17. Gonna need major talent from that class to compete in '18-'19.

In other words, I'm hoping one "off" year at most, assuming next year is indeed an off year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm really not understanding the underlying feeling of panic here. Look at the roster below. Five Top 15 players, which does not include the unranked Canadian Kia. The shortest kid on the floor is ranked #3 - and we know after watching Mo that height means zero when you've got a boatload of talent. Five kids in the post, including a couple of undersized but more than able forwards in Gabby and Napheesa, who I think is the second coming of Swin Cash. Natalie wasn't ranked coming out of high school but was still the Big East Freshman of the Year. This roster looks pretty darn good to me.

2016-2017 Roster
HG = HoopGurlz, BS = Blue Star (2016 only) PN = Prospect Nation

5-5 F G Crystal Dangerfield (#3 HG, #3 BS, #4 PN)
5-9 F G Molly Bent
6-0 Jr G Kia Nurse
6-0 Jr G Courtney Ekmark (#31 HG)
5-8 Sr G Saniya Chong (#75 HG)
5-7 Sr G Tierney Lawlor
6-3 So G/F Katie Lou Samuelson (#1 HG, #2 PN)
5-11 Jr G/F Gabby Williams (#14 HG)
6-1 So G/F Napheesa Collier (#6 HG. #6 PN)
6-2 F F Kyla Irwin (#44 BS, #103 PN)
6-2 RSr F Morgan Tuck (#6 HG, #9 PN)
6-5 RJr C Natalie Butler

Reaction Score
I'm really not understanding the underlying feeling of panic here. Look at the roster below. Five Top 15 players, which does not include the unranked Canadian Kia. The shortest kid on the floor is ranked #3 - and we know after watching Mo that height means zero when you've got a boatload of talent. Five kids in the post, including a couple of undersized but more than able forwards in Gabby and Napheesa, who I think is the second coming of Swin Cash. Natalie wasn't ranked coming out of high school but was still the Big East Freshman of the Year. This roster looks pretty darn good to me.

2016-2017 Roster

5-9 F G Molly Bent
6-0 Jr G Kia Nurse
5-7 Sr G Tierney Lawlor
6-5 RJr C Natalie Butler

I agree. No reason to panic. Great players, greater team!

Reaction Score

2016-2017 Roster

5-9 F G Molly Bent
6-0 Jr G Kia Nurse
5-7 Sr G Tierney Lawlor
6-5 RJr C Natalie Butler

Great post.
I think the point that is being missed here isn't UConn superior talent but the other elite teams in the nation are catching up. Notre Dame is adding two great players next year to the half a dozen they already have. South Carolina is adding two great transfers. Transfer U (Ohio State) also is getting quality transfers plus freshman Tori McCoy and two others. Texas and Baylor are getting great freshmen. Duke is adding Lexie Brown to a very talented roster. Maryland have the #1 recruiting class for 2016, a McDonald's All American transfer plus several solid returning players. So it's more about the competition than the UConn squad which I like a lot as long as Tuck doesn't enter the WNBA draft next year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Yeah, it's mind boggling. How do they have a team filled with Top 10 players and international stars, and call it a rebuilding year? KLS will likely turn out to be a DT/Maya/Stewie, so they have a superstar. Any team with KLS is automatically NOT rebuilding, never mind UCONN. She'll likely win two to three NCs.

Assuming relative health, UCONN is going to be the best team next year, despite growth in both ND and SC (and a young Baylor). Nurse, KLS, Gabby, Tuck/Collier, Butler. That starting 5 is ridiculous.

Someone is even worried about 2019? Crazy town. You know you've had it too good when people 'panic' over how the next couple of years are setup.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Wow this is getting really scary. Hey lets face it UConn may actually lose a game next season. Remember this whenever you worried about UConn. They execute. They play as a team. Remember a couple of years ago when Tuck and KML were out and UConn played all those top teams on the road and UConn won convincingly. They did that because they were all on the same page and knew how to execute the plays. They still do. Looking ahead to next season who has more talent then UConn? Who executes better then UConn? Who has a better defense then UConn? What players do Baylor and SC lose? They loose key players too. Our underclassman will develop over the season and be ready for next season. I know that because Geno is playing them more then he ever has in previous seasons. We have Nurse and Chong coming back with experience. We don't know yet about Tuck but if she does shes a first team AA. That's a lot more then any other team. We have been beating teams by double digits for the past few years. We will continue to beat most of them by that much . We are really good next season. Enjoy this season

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
KLS will likely turn out to be a DT/Maya/Stewie, so they have a superstar.

This might be a wee bit overly optimistic. KLS has had a few good moments so far but she's a long way from being an AA at the moment. Nurse is a good player. Williams is a talented player who now doesn't start and gets removed against certain lineups and defenses. Still think Collier will be awfully good but will that happen as a sophomore? Tuck's excellent if she returns. Butler hasn't played one second for UConn so I think we should be cautious about what she can do when healthy. And they will need a freshmen to be the PG on a title contender.

I'd rather have UConn's problems than most other teams', but I'm guessing UConn will start next season ranked about 4th/5th if Tuck returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom