Boyhood | The Boneyard

Boyhood

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Saw it the other day. The bad - it took 12 years to make and almost as long to watch. The indifferent - because of the technique, the movie is episodic, so it doesn't have continuity in the way most movies do. The positive - for starters, it certainly is unique. Seeing the characters age naturally, and especially seeing the young actors go through all the stages of maturity both in looks and issues is kinda neat. As long as the movie is, it goes by reasonably fast for a non-action movie. The acting is good, especially given that the young actors had no experience when Linklater started shooting. The guy who plays Roseanne Arquette's 2nd husband is totally convincing in being unlikeable. If you enjoy character studies that deal with many characters, and a coming of age movie in the truest sense, it's worth a look.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My wife and I just wathed it. We never were engrossed. Conceptually kinda cool. To us, it made for a dull movie.

Reaction Score
My wife and I liked it a lot. It's definitely slow, but a pretty interesting concept and I thought all in all Linklater did a good job. Pretty good performances througout as well. I can easily see how some people could have a different opinion though. Now I'm curious if they'll start filming "Manhood" to be released in 2024 or 2034 or so, after the boy turns 30 or 40.

One thing that did stand out (not about the movie, but the individual actors)... as they filmed at older ages you could see Arquette aging throughout the movie, but Ethan Hawke looked almost the same from the beginning to the end. The final year of the film is when he started to look a little older.

Reaction Score
It s u cks.

Unwatchable.

You will enjoy stapling your ballbag to your taint more than this movie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom