Boxscore vs Notre Dame 12/7/16 | The Boneyard

Boxscore vs Notre Dame 12/7/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you had told me before the game we would only make one three pointer I'd have thought we'd lose for sure. Good sign that they found a way without the outside shots dropping.
Not only that, but the 3 pointer was Lou's on the first UConn possession! UConn then went >39 minutes without making 3 pointer!

HGN

Reaction Score
Actually , 2 evenly matched teams. But the slight edge goes to UConn because they played at ND and this was thought to be a down year for the Huskies. The Huskies are not even on a roll yet. IF , and that's a BIG IF , they make it thru the gauntlet of OOC teams and get into conference play , that's when they might really get on a roll.

GO HUSKIES !!

Reaction Score
Not only that, but the 3 pointer was Lou's on the first UConn possession! UConn then went >39 minutes without making 3 pointer!
they guarded Lou really really close ..... Mabrey and Young were the primary defenders but that created a good low post matchup for her. And then in the second half they were just clearing out the lane and letting Lou take her defender off the dribble. Something new for her, she'll get better at that.

And there is just some kind of sympatico between Gabby and Phee ... they work really really well together. Gabby's drop passes didn't work so well in the second quarter when it was Natalie but that will improve as they play more and more together.

They really missed Phee that second quarter ...

I don't know if it was design that the second half they really didn't push the ball up the court.... Crystal really slowed things down a lot. When Saniya came in she pushed the ball up quick. It was good game experience in a hostile environment for Crystal.

Reaction Score
they guarded Lou really really close ..... Mabrey and Young were the primary defenders but that created a good low post matchup for her. And then in the second half they were just clearing out the lane and letting Lou take her defender off the dribble. Something new for her, she'll get better at that.

And there is just some kind of sympatico between Gabby and Phee ... they work really really well together. Gabby's drop passes didn't work so well in the second quarter when it was Natalie but that will improve as they play more and more together.

They really missed Phee that second quarter ...

I don't know if it was design that the second half they really didn't push the ball up the court.... Crystal really slowed things down a lot. When Saniya came in she pushed the ball up quick. It was good game experience in a hostile environment for Crystal.

Good observation, Cajun. Any time Crystal was dribbling excessively, it showed that she lacked a full understanding of the Husky offense, and, as you wrote, slowed down the game. She'll learn just as Saniya has with experience. One thing Geno does not want is for players to be standing and dribbling; he want motion and passing. The true beauty of UConn basketball happens when the ball barely (or never) touches the floor in a sweep down the court.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Both teams 3 point defense canceled each other out. But did you see those UConn post players driving to the rim? LOVED IT! I am still trying to figure out how the rest of WCBB hasn't figured it out yet. You have like a 1% chance to beat UConn with post play IN ANY YEAR. That is what they are taught to take away first. If you are going to beat them it is going to be with guard play. Yet, Baylor, Texas, and Notre Dame tried it.

I get it on paper it makes sense. However, this is UConn and when someone comes to your house with an 82 game win streak you gotta get creative. I ran numbers for Notre Dame yesterday morning and vs the better teams they played (TCU, Green Bay, Washington, Iowa) they only averaged 42% shooting on the night and I said if that's what they shoot we definitely win. I gave them the benefit of the doubt because they are well coached and said we would only win by 4 but I am pleased we lead most of the game and we looked pretty good for stretches.

Does anyone else feel like Notre Dame's offense isn't nearly as fluid as it has been in the past. Still good but just a bit off?

Reaction Score
It's interesting, Turner didn't look all that great, but had a good game statistically. As we know, the freshman are basically sophomores by the time they get to March. Dangerfield will be a more consistent player and contributor.

Reaction Score
Both teams 3 point defense canceled each other out. But did you see those UConn post players driving to the rim? LOVED IT! I am still trying to figure out how the rest of WCBB hasn't figured it out yet. You have like a 1% chance to beat UConn with post play IN ANY YEAR. That is what they are taught to take away first. If you are going to beat them it is going to be with guard play. Yet, Baylor, Texas, and Notre Dame tried it.

I get it on paper it makes sense. However, this is UConn and when someone comes to your house with an 82 game win streak you gotta get creative. I ran numbers for Notre Dame yesterday morning and vs the better teams they played (TCU, Green Bay, Washington, Iowa) they only averaged 42% shooting on the night and I said if that's what they shoot we definitely win. I gave them the benefit of the doubt because they are well coached and said we would only win by 4 but I am pleased we lead most of the game and we looked pretty good for stretches.

Does anyone else feel like Notre Dame's offense isn't nearly as fluid as it has been in the past. Still good but just a bit off?

Ogunbowale destroyed any passing offense ND might have used. She had one great pass. But she is a scoring machine, and if she's looking for her shot as the first option, SOMEBODY has to be standing around. And the defense on Mabrey was exceptional. They should leave the offense to Allen, finding open teammates or taking her own shot. Historically, ND use back-doors and alley oops, collapse and they hit from the outside. They have so many horses, there is confusion in the corral. Hope that continues.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It's interesting, Turner didn't look all that great, but had a good game statistically. As we know, the freshman are basically sophomores by the time they get to March. Dangerfield will be a more consistent player and contributor.
She had 2 baskets and 2 free throws in the first 30 minutes, she then had 5 baskets in the last 7.5 minutes - that is probably why you were surprised for three quarters she was not very effective offensively.

Reaction Score
Ogunbowale destroyed any passing offense ND might have used. She had one great pass. But she is a scoring machine, and if she's looking for her shot as the first option, SOMEBODY has to be standing around. And the defense on Mabrey was exceptional. They should leave the offense to Allen, finding open teammates or taking her own shot. Historically, ND use back-doors and alley oops, collapse and they hit from the outside. They have so many horses, there is confusion in the corral. Hope that continues.
Ogunbowale is undeniably a talent. However, when she calls for the ball and wants to look for her scoring opportunities it kind of takes Allen out of the flow. Allen may be the best point in the nation but her skill set gets somewhat neutralized when the one on one stuff starts. It also keeps Allen from bringing Turner in the flow. ND will fix that by tournament time. Of course UCONN will have an answer for any fixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom