Boring? | The Boneyard

Boring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've heard some refer to last night's game as "boring". What are they watching - the score or the game? If you're watching she score you're in for a long, yes boring, season.

But those of us who appreciate great basketball, beautiful execution of plays, the running, the relentless effort, the ball sharing, the pursuit of perfection, the way the game is meant to be played, we won't be bored for a minute.

Geno doesn't coach to a score; neither should we watch to a score. Doesn't matter if the outcome is never in doubt; the gals play and we watch the game for all that is in it. Appreciate it!

If last night's game wasn't pleasing to your senses, better get used to it, you're in for a long "boring" season.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I enjoyed it, not only for the individual prowess displayed, but, because we so rarely see an opponent who is willing to "Run with the Huskies". Obviously, a team has to "dance with who brung 'um", and, in Oregon's case, who "brung 'um" has been sucking down energy drinks since age 5. But, most opponents want to limit possessions against Connecticut, figuring that a slower game keeps things closer, adds up the fouls, and reduces the advantage of sheer athleticism that UConn often has.

I don't know as I'd want a whole season of Oregon, but, now and then, great. Heck, I like when Chubby Checker's "The Twist" plays on the dance floor, but I really need a blow afterwards!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The nice thing about being up 50 is that you can concentrate on things like:
  • who will be high scorer?
  • will we break 90% at the free throw line?
  • can we keep turnover in single digits, OK for a half?
  • will the assist/TO ratio exceed 75%
  • will we hit over 50% of our shots?
  • etc
and not have to worry about the game result.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
The nice thing about being up 50 is that you can concentrate on things like:

• [ ]who will be high scorer?
    [ ]will we break 90% at the free throw line?
    [ ]can we keep turnover in single digits, OK for a half?
    [ ]will the assist/TO ratio exceed 75%
    [ ]will we hit over 50% of our shots?
    [ ]etc
and not have to worry about the game result.
Or, it doesn't matter when I go to get another beer.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Too early in the season to be boring. Wait til mid January.

Reaction Score
I've heard some refer to last night's game as "boring". What are they watching - the score or the game? If you're watching she score you're in for a long, yes boring, season.

But those of us who appreciate great basketball, beautiful execution of plays, the running, the relentless effort, the ball sharing, the pursuit of perfection, the way the game is meant to be played, we won't be bored for a minute.

There is so much to watch with this team but watching Kiah Stokes play defense would be enough in itself to keep me watching.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It was HuskyBill that said the game was boring. Take whatever Bill says with a grain of salt.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the team loved playing the game. It was a fun type of game to play, the type of game people would play if it was just a pick up game on a local court. Besides, it was an opportunity to pad one's stats given the number of possessions that would occur. Unfortunately for Oregon, the style was right in our player's skill wheelhouse, unencumbered by the usual discipline demanded and required by most opponents & Geno.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I didn't find it boring. I watched it when I went to bed and the 5 minutes I watched before I fell asleep were very entertaining.

Reaction Score

Geno doesn't coach to a score; neither should we watch to a score. Doesn't matter if the outcome is never in doubt; the gals play and we watch the game for all that is in it. Appreciate it!

If last night's game wasn't pleasing to your senses, better get used to it, you're in for a long "boring" season.
If you are bored watching Uconn games, put on your wool sweater and go back to your checkers games.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
It was fast, fun and interesting.
I enjoyed it. But I always enjoy watching my favorite team.

Reaction Score
Yup, I just watched it a 2nd time too. Specifically, I was looking for the moment when Stef realized she had only the 2nd triple double in UConn history. Priceless.

And she wasn't even the stop scorer... that would be Stewie.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The pace of that game was so fast you can watch 3 times in an hour.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yup, I just watched it a 2nd time too. Specifically, I was looking for the moment when Stef realized she had only the 2nd triple double in UConn history. Priceless.

And she wasn't even the stop scorer... that would be Stewie.
Funnier than that is moments before when she gave the feed to MoJeff for a potential assist and Mo gave back to her and Stef scored Mo getting the assist. Clearly, Stef knew at that point what it was all about.

Reaction Score
I missed the last ten minutes. Did the new girls get to play? How did they do?
Guess they'll see some action this weekend, eh?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm sure the team loved playing the game. It was a fun type of game to play, the type of game people would play if it was just a pick up game on a local court. Besides, it was an opportunity to pad one's stats given the number of possessions that would occur. Unfortunately for Oregon, the style was right in our player's skill wheelhouse, unencumbered by the usual discipline demanded and required by most opponents & Geno.
A few people have said this, but I am going to slightly disagree - while it was fast and frenetic I think what made it so enjoyable was that it wasn't 'street ball' or an all-star game type of game - Uconn was running some great offense and solid defense, hence all the assists being racked up - you don't get that in street ball. I consider 'street ball' to be more like the first ten minutes of the TN/UNC game (the only ten minutes I watched) where neither team seemed to know they had 4 other teammates on the floor.
And when I re-watched the game yesterday, I actually had more respect for what Oregon was doing on offense and a little more respect for their defense. While the offense relied on a lot of one on one moves, they came in the context of interesting offensive rotations, off ball movement, and setting up triangles. With a team that had problems defending one on one, there would have been openings for kick-out threes or dish and drives - against Uconn's discipline, it wasn't as effective as it could have been. And they had an interesting process on bringing the ball up court - the dribbler often moved to almost cause a double team by moving straight into the other guard, but always planning to pass off to the other guard who was crossing behind - again with slack defense it could lead to an uncontested three or drive into the lane - but not against Uconn. On defense, while there were obvious breakdowns all through the game they had a concerted effort to cause chaos - against a less disciplined/worse passing team, I think they would have succeeded more than they did - as it was they caused a lot of turnovers on sloppy plays.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Which reminds me. Why was MoJet on the lane for a free throw shot by Oregon? I saw that twice.

Why were there no UConn players on the lane when a UConn player was shooting? I saw that more than once.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don't think it's boring, but it is a little sad to see a team have no idea how to contest the interior. That's a former pro coach on the other bench.

Reaction Score
Which reminds me. Why was MoJet on the lane for a free throw shot by Oregon? I saw that twice.

Why were there no UConn players on the lane when a UConn player was shooting? I saw that more than once.
To prevent foul trouble...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

To prevent foul trouble...
More to give the bigs a short breather and not make them run the court once the free throws were made or missed. And MoJeff was there because she is going to be pressuring/slowing the opponent when they start up the court and she has pretty decent hops and is also to chase down a long rebound or sneak in to snag a bobble.
It wouldn't happen in a close game and didn't happen in the first half I think, but once a game is decided, why bother competing for a rebound that probably isn't going to happen (90+% FT shooting.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom