Borges article on Vance Jackson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Borges article on Vance Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Not necessarily agreeing with @JimOllie on this, but I don't think it's crazy to assume a senior Vance Jackson could accomplish more at UConn than Hamilton did. He may never handle, pass, or rebound as well as Hamilton, but could he be a guy averaging 16-6(Read my post again, probably should clarify these could be his senior numbers), spreading the floor well, providing versatility at the 3-4 spot, play better defense(That won't be hard). and hit some clutch shots? Absolutely. For as great as Hamilton was, I think Jackson COULD surpass him in impact by his senior year, and he should have a nice impact this year by simply spreading the floor for our driving studs. It's not that crazy.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
So when you said you'd be happy if he turns out to be as good a player as Giffey, you actually meant you'd be happy if the team has the same level of success as they had when Giffey was here? Lol, OK.

You bringing up our conference and recruiting is also funny given we just signed our best class on paper in a decade.
If Ollie was recruiting out of the ACC, Big Ten, SEC or any of the power conferences, we would be landing the Stones,
Okafors and Simmons of the world on a regular basis. It has taken Ollie four years to come up with this fine class but we still are not in the mix for the super blue chipper. And I believe the Giffey was also recruited by L'Ville.
Giffey was one of the better players in all of college ball his last season. He could defend three positions on the floor and he was a knock down three point shooter that opened the floor for Bazz and Boat. He was invited to two NBA Summer Leagues and signed a contract with a professional contract in Germany. In fact, I would rather have senior Giffey teamed with
Boat than DHam teamed with Boat. DHam gave you a negative play on offense or defense 50% of the time. Giffey almost never gave you a negative play. So, hoping that Vance sticks for 4 years and plays to the level of Giffey is a legitimate goal.
This is not to say that DHam at some point will play at a higher level that Giffey. It is to say that teams do not keep stats on negative plays. DHam seemed to lead the league on late close outs. Giffey always seemed to get there.

Reaction Score
If Ollie was recruiting out of the ACC, Big Ten, SEC or any of the power conferences, we would be landing the Stones,
Okafors and Simmons of the world on a regular basis. It has taken Ollie four years to come up with this fine class but we still are not in the mix for the super blue chipper. And I believe the Giffey was also recruited by L'Ville.
Giffey was one of the better players in all of college ball his last season. He could defend three positions on the floor and he was a knock down three point shooter that opened the floor for Bazz and Boat. He was invited to two NBA Summer Leagues and signed a contract with a professional contract in Germany. In fact, I would rather have senior Giffey teamed with
Boat than DHam teamed with Boat. DHam gave you a negative play on offense or defense 50% of the time. Giffey almost never gave you a negative play. So, hoping that Vance sticks for 4 years and plays to the level of Giffey is a legitimate goal.
This is not to say that DHam at some point will play at a higher level that Giffey. It is to say that teams do not keep stats on negative plays. DHam seemed to lead the league on late close outs. Giffey always seemed to get there.

Yes. Giffey really had one of the most underrated seasons in UConn history his senior year.

Reaction Score
If Ollie was recruiting out of the ACC, Big Ten, SEC or any of the power conferences, we would be landing the Stones, Okafors and Simmons of the world on a regular basis. It has taken Ollie four years to come up with this fine class but we still are not in the mix for the super blue chipper.

What an amazing amount of made up "information" you've packed into these 2 sentences.

As far the Giffey comment, he was a very good player his senior year, and that's kind of my point with your original comment. I feel like you'll be happy if freshman year Vance plays like senior year Giffey. If Vance as a freshman plays like Giffey as a freshman, you'll be ripping him, even though that's the much more realistic scenario, and doesn't mean he can't evolve into a productive player.

Reaction Score
Vance was terrible when I saw him at the flying to the hoop event in Dayton. Might take a little time before he has a real impact.

Reaction Score
Vance was terrible when I saw him at the flying to the hoop event in Dayton. Might take a little time before he has a real impact.

Oh no, does KO know? Can we rescind our offer?

Reaction Score
The thing with Vance will be whether or not he can get open shots. Hard to tell if he has the instincts and/or athleticism to create scoring opportunities and get space for jumpers.

Reaction Score
I think the issue with Jackson is whether he can do everything else besides shoot well enough to stay on the floor - namely defend.

Yeah, defense too. He doesn't strike me as much of an athlete. I am hoping I'm wrong on that. Either way, he's pretty big and it seems like those guys can go either way. If you are big enough and tall enough you can find ways to get the ball in the basket and guard at a passable level if you have the instincts for the game and try hard. I'm hoping he just comes in and he's one of those guys that doesn't look quick but the results are there anyway. Would love a big , tall guard that just sticks bombs in his defender's face all day long or once.

Reaction Score
Well, this one got off the rails fast. Trying to bring it back on - forget comparisons, we all do that too much.

I have not seen Vance Jackson play in person, but have seen a bunch of highlights (not just mixtapes) and have been following him for a while. I think he projects to be a nice complimentary player as an underclassman, and someone who could put up some pretty good numbers his junior and senior seasons. Right now he looks to be more of a spot up shooter, but there is some potential to develop some dribble drive game. I think he may compliment Larrier well in that he does not have that level of athleticism, but looks to have a more consistent jumper, including from deep.

At absolute worst, he'll be helpful against the zone, but he's better than that, and is 6-7/6-8. Let's enjoy the kid. He's pretty amped to be a Husky.

Reaction Score
Yeah, defense too. He doesn't strike me as much of an athlete. I am hoping I'm wrong on that. Either way, he's pretty big and it seems like those guys can go either way. If you are big enough and tall enough you can find ways to get the ball in the basket and guard at a passable level if you have the instincts for the game and try hard. I'm hoping he just comes in and he's one of those guys that doesn't look quick but the results are there anyway. Would love a big , tall guard that just sticks bombs in his defender's face all day long or once.

You don't have to be a great athlete to be a good defender and great athletes aren't always good defenders (AB and KF). If he's smart and wants to play defense he's plenty athletic to be a good defender and we know he can shoot. I can't wait to see this kid in action because the main thing is he's been dying to be a Husky and that's a heck of a start.

Reaction Score

I appreciate the information but am not happy to hear it.
Is he physically ready to play at the high D1 level or is that an issue as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom