Bonita Spence passes away.... | The Boneyard

Bonita Spence passes away....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am sorry to hear of her passing. Personally I did not care for her as a ref.... but it is sad to hear she passed away.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought she had stepped up her officiating over the last 5-8 years and had become one of the better officials.

Very sorry to hear of her death.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. I got a chance to chat with her in St. Thomas, and I came away thinking much more highly of her than I had before.

Reaction Score
I just heard this on my drive home from work and gasped out loud in shock. I was one of the most critical of her as a ref. But it is easy to be critical of someone doing a job that you wouldn't have a hope of doing a fraction as well. I am sure she gave it her all every time out on the court.

Far too young to have passed on. R.I.P. bonnie Bonita.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Geno, classy as ever... I was pretty vocal at times regarding some of her bad calls but her good ones out paced her bad ones by a mile. Probably up there blowing her celestrial whistle...God Bless Bonita and her family.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Nice tweets from numerous WBB folks, including Mike Carey among others.

The most telling - from Sharnee Zoll - commented that Bonita "always let me mess with her without a T" and I think was the person called her a sweet lady.

A bit disappointed that Bonita's passing has yet to be noted on ESPN's WBB page.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear. Wonder what happened? Unless I've missed something the past year?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear. Wonder what happened? Unless I've missed something the past year?
Bit of a mystery. According to Mel Greenberg, no one seems to know the cause of death.

LINK

Reaction Score
As a person, I have never wished anything negative, personally, against Bonita. But, as a woman's basketball referee, I had deep reservations about some of her 'calls'. Please, God forgive me & may He call her into his "Eternal Reward'.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That is just so sad. I agree with Ice - I also thought her officiating had improved over the years. Prayers to her family and friends...

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
She was only 51 and there is still no explanation for her death at such a relatively young age.

This appears to be the most recent article on her passing: from the Chicago Sun-Times.

Reaction Score
Very sad news. Much too young for a women that appeared healthy enough to ref women's professional BB.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the link to Mel Greenberg's blog. I remember watching Clockgate and being furious at the decision. I've never heard anything about whether there were repercussions for the officials. The Tuesday, September 19 blog entry reveals that Bonita Spence tried to alert the other two officials to the problem, and they waved her off. Interesting reading. From the responses posted on that blog and elsewhere, it looks as though coaches and players regarded her as a much better official than many of we fans did. And they're the ones who really count, so I think that's how I'll choose to remember her.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members