Boneyarders Bold Predictions - 2014 Preseason Edition | The Boneyard

Boneyarders Bold Predictions - 2014 Preseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Please use this thread to post your bold predictions for the upcoming season. Fire away with whatever you got! My top 5:

1. UCONN will get to a bowl game this season. I know that it will take time to completely wash the bad taste of Paul Pasqualoni's tenure from this program, but I'm impressed with how much has already been done. Firing him early in the season was bold and smart (the decision to retain him in the first place is a completely separate argument) and allowed the players and program to begin to the turn the page sooner than later. The guys look to be trimmer, slimmer and more chiseled than ever thanks to a full offseason under Coach Balis' S&C program. Also, I look at our schedule and it is set up pretty favorably: all tougher games at home and some winnable games on the road (including a "road" game at Yankee Stadium). I see 6-7 wins as THE FLOOR for 2014.

2. I will win my gentleman's wager with JayRU: UCONN will draw more than 41,000-whatever to the Army game at Yankee Stadium. With a bowl game possibility in 2014 and a chance to make bold statement in CR (similar to packing MSG at last year's Regional Finals), UCONN fans in the gold coast and NYC will scoop up loads of tickets. I'm pretty sure Yankee Stadium reports tickets SOLD (not scanned) so I feel okay even if there is a blizzard or hurricane. I hope I'm right about this one.

3. Casey Cochran will post the best statistical season from a UCONN QB since Dan Orlovsky. With improved OL play and the emergence of talent that we have at WR, including the way we finished the season last year, Cochran is ready for a breakout. His body is 30 pounds trimmer and leaner and his mullet is long and wavy. The stasche is also in midseason form. Here are Orlovsky's 4 years at UCONN:

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
2001ConnecticutIndQB1012826947.613795.14.091193.5
2002ConnecticutIndQB1222136660.424886.86.51911128.6
2003ConnecticutIndQB1227947558.734857.37.43314137.4
*2004ConnecticutBig EastQB1228845763.033547.36.92315134.7

I think 2014 Cochran will complete close to 60% of his attempted passes for close to 3000 yards, over 20 TDs and less than 15 INTs. That would put his QB rating right up there with Orlovsky's best years.

4. Part of the reason why I think Cochran is in for a terrific season is because I also think that Geremy Davis will post the single greatest statistical season in UCONN WR history. Below is Marcus Easley's best season (2009):

YearSchoolConfClassPosGRecYdsAvgTDAttYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
2009 ConnecticutBig EastWR134889318.6811111.004990418.48

Now here is Davis' 2013 season:

2013ConnecticutAmericanJRWR1271108515.3371108515.33

I'm looking for a 70+ catch season for over 1000 yards AND 8+ TDs. Davis is too big for smaller CBs to man up against and too fast for some of the CBs he'll face against certain teams. Sure, he'll expect to see Safety help over the top forcing Cochran to check it down to TEs and shorter routes. But Cochran's accuracy will soften a few defenses enough so that when they do go to Davis (who can run any short, medium or long range route), it will pay off big.

5. UCONN will win 2 of the following games this season: BYU (home), Boise State (home), ECU (road), UCF (home), Cincinnati (home). These are, by far, the 5 toughest games on the 2014 schedule. I think UCONN will win at least 2 of these. Hopefully more.

BONUS: UCONN bucket hats and copycat mullets are going to run rampant throughout the Rent stands this year.

Reaction Score
I predict that we have growing pains. 6 wins is the ceiling. We may get an invite to a bowl. We are set up for a much better second year under HCBD.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I say we "underachieve" in total record (ie 6-6, 7-5), but we "overachieve in the conference (i.e. 5-3).

The pessimist in me says that we hear howling that "look at this just-about-.500-team leading the AAC - what a crap conference!" from the luminati.

Reaction Score
I see an OL that has a smash mouth attitude again and, with our stable of high potential RB's, we have an offense of RB playmakers and a short to intermediate passing game that allows us to be in every game.

I don't see HCBD giving out praise lightly and when he says the OL was the most improved, it tells me we got a shot at 6-6/7-5.

Reaction Score
6-6 at best, 2-10 at worst. There is a whole lot of parts that need to develop in a hurry to reach 6-6

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Those quotes were intentional. I'd sign for 6-6 on the dotted line right now. My point is that our record won't indicate our success.

Reaction Score
I'm calling it now: 8 wins and we go bowling...

(heck, in this past March Madness office pool I picked us to win it all in MBB... I was the only one that did and I won... why not keep the mojo going with football)

Reaction Score
I'll be thrilled with 6-6. I think our talent is limited and/or young. Oddly, as someone pointed out in the roster thread, we probably have better skill players at multiple positions than we've had in a long time, but I think we are really weak in some other crucial spots. Offensive line for one, and though I love Foley, that we have true freshmen on the 2-deep in the oline tells me we don't have a lot there. I could see us winning a game we shouldn't early on, but losing one we shouldn't mid-late season too. Just to go out on a huge limb, I'll say we upset BYU and get everyone all cranked up about Diaco being the second coming of Frank Leahy, only to have it all come back to earth with a close win against Stony Brook, and a blowout loss to Boise and another loss at a very bad South Florida and a loss in Nawlins to Tulane. We recover a little down the stretch with 3 wins in the last 4 against Army, Memphis, SMU. On the win side I have BYU, Stony Brook, Temple, Army, Memphis, SMU. Losses to Boise, USF, UCF, Tulane, East Carolina, Cincinnati. 4-3 at home, 2-3 on the road, 3-5 in conference which probably gets us a bowl game in Detroit or someplace which is good enough for year 1 AP.

Reaction Score
2-10 is on the table and 10-2 is not. In other words, we know enough to know this is not a top 25-30 team, and enough to know there are enormous unknowns - OL, first time HC, new schemes. I am not hopeful for a lot of Ws early in the season. I am hopeful that we will see progress as the season progresses which sets the stage for the next 2-3 seasons.

If the running game takes hold 6 wins is possible.

Reaction Score
Please use this thread to post your bold predictions for the upcoming season. Fire away with whatever you got! My top 5:

1. UCONN will get to a bowl game this season. I know that it will take time to completely wash the bad taste of Paul Pasqualoni's tenure from this program, but I'm impressed with how much has already been done. Firing him early in the season was bold and smart (the decision to retain him in the first place is a completely separate argument) and allowed the players and program to begin to the turn the page sooner than later. The guys look to be trimmer, slimmer and more chiseled than ever thanks to a full offseason under Coach Balis' S&C program. Also, I look at our schedule and it is set up pretty favorably: all tougher games at home and some winnable games on the road (including a "road" game at Yankee Stadium). I see 6-7 wins as THE FLOOR for 2014.

2. I will win my gentleman's wager with JayRU: UCONN will draw more than 41,000-whatever to the Army game at Yankee Stadium. With a bowl game possibility in 2014 and a chance to make bold statement in CR (similar to packing MSG at last year's Regional Finals), UCONN fans in the gold coast and NYC will scoop up loads of tickets. I'm pretty sure Yankee Stadium reports tickets SOLD (not scanned) so I feel okay even if there is a blizzard or hurricane. I hope I'm right about this one.

3. Casey Cochran will post the best statistical season from a UCONN QB since Dan Orlovsky. With improved OL play and the emergence of talent that we have at WR, including the way we finished the season last year, Cochran is ready for a breakout. His body is 30 pounds trimmer and leaner and his mullet is long and wavy. The smut stasche is also in midseason form. Here are Orlovsky's 4 years at UCONN:

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
2001ConnecticutIndQB1012826947.613795.14.091193.5
2002ConnecticutIndQB1222136660.424886.86.51911128.6
2003ConnecticutIndQB1227947558.734857.37.43314137.4
*2004ConnecticutBig EastQB1228845763.033547.36.92315134.7

I think 2014 Cochran will complete close to 60% of his attempted passes for close to 3000 yards, over 20 TDs and less than 15 INTs. That would put his QB rating right up there with Orlovsky's best years.

4. Part of the reason why I think Cochran is in for a terrific season is because I also think that Geremy Davis will post the single greatest statistical season in UCONN WR history. Below is Marcus Easley's best season (2009):

2009 ConnecticutBig EastWR134889318.6811111.004990418.48

Now here is Davis' 2013 season:

2013ConnecticutAmericanJRWR1271108515.3371108515.33

I'm looking for a 70+ catch season for over 1000 yards AND 8+ TDs. Davis is too big for smaller CBs to man up against and too fast for some of the CBs he'll face against certain teams. Sure, he'll expect to see Safety help over the top forcing Cochran to check it down to TEs and shorter routes. But Cochran's accuracy will soften a few defenses enough so that when they do go to Davis (who can run any short, medium or long range route), it will pay off big.

5. UCONN will win 2 of the following games this season: BYU (home), Boise State (home), ECU (road), UCF (home), Cincinnati (home). These are, by far, the 5 toughest games on the 2014 schedule. I think UCONN will win at least 2 of these. Hopefully more.

BONUS: UCONN bucket hats and copycat mullets are going to run rampant throughout the Rent stands this year.
I got smallwood just reading this stuff, can't get here soon enough.
GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm not going to waste your time with my prediction of the record. You all know what that is. Here are my other predictions:

1) Cochran will actually have his name spelled correctly by all on the Boneyard by the end of the year, and at least 5 Boneyard members will grow a mullet.

2) A life-size statue of Coach Foley will be placed in the Burton Complex, with a note next to it that says, "We're sorry about the last three years..." *(and yes, it will contain the "..." so he figures out wrote the note).

3) The name "Geremy" will become a word synonymous with greatness. You will find yourself in the office, congratulating your fellow co-workers on a job well done, simply by saying, "That was so Geremy!"

Take these things to the bank...

Reaction Score
I predict they'll make it to a bowl game. It'll take all season to secure a good enough record but they'll be playing in December. I think the O-line and running game will be able to impose their will by seasons end. I agree the Huskies will win a couple of the 5 biggest games on their schedule and lose a head scratcher they should have won..... but not Stoney Brook.

Reaction Score
I am boldly predicting the greatest turnaround in CFB history over the next three years.
Year 1: 7 & 5 to possibly 8 & 4..... I buy a mullet because I've lost too much to grow back...
Year 2:9 & 3 to possibly 11&1.... Rent construction of additional 10,000 seats begins.........
Year 3: 12 & 0 heading into the CFB playoff causing a whole ration of poop from the SEC fans.
Year 4: We have bids from the B1g and ACC but DECLINE because the AAC is now termed the P6 conference
and the TV contract is ginormously huge. Diaco signs long term $$ contract and achieves legendary status.

Year 5: BC wants to schedule a game and we graciously decline as we just inked 'Bama' and Ohio State in Yankee Stadium.
IT WILL HAPPEN.....ya gotta believe...I do..see you in 7 days

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think we win at least 8.
BYU
ST
BSU
USF
TEMPLE
TULANE
ARMY
MEMPHIS

If we don't beat BYU and BSU, we'll beat Cincy and SMU. ECU and UCF are still winnable. Heck, they are all winnable. Maybe just not in a row. OK, we're going 12-0, there are you happy. What is this, halftime of Texas vs TSU? Let's go #huskyup.

Reaction Score
7 wins total and 5 in conference
A tight end leads the team in total catches, but Geremy leads the team in receiving yards. Each over 50.
Uconn rushing offense is ranked in the top 60.
3 backs over 500 yards rushing.
A positive turnover ratio for the year.

Reaction Score
It's all about the boys in the trenches (OL,DL) if we can make holes on O and stop the run and put pressure on the opposing QB, we can win 8 games. LETS DO IT! IN DIACO WE TRUST! Look at that hair!
Scott_Werewolf.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like what I'm seeing. How about this, Arkeel Newsome average .75 run backs for touchdown per game?
The name "Geremy" will become a word synonymous with greatness. You will find yourself in the office, congratulating your fellow co-workers on a job well done, simply by saying, "That was so Geremy!"

Take these things to the bank...
On the other hand when a co-worker asks about a meeting with your boss that goes badly you'll come out saying "he Melifonwu'd me."

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Undefeated season, defense doesn't allow a single first down all year, Cochran's mullet wins the Heisman, and whoever wins this year's gubernatorial race will decline their inauguration so that Diaco can take their place.

In all honesty, I'll be tickled with 6-6. The HCBD Hype Machine has us all feeling great about this program, but it makes it very easy to forget the state that we were in last year. No matter how much momentum a program has, it takes time for everything to gel together perfectly and result in wins on the field. We have too many question marks for me to expect something better as a baseline. Could these things work out? Yes. But there's no way of knowing for sure until the boys are on the field.

Reaction Score
Last year's team won 3 games in a row just by dumping PGDL.

Anything under 7 wins is a disappointment. Auburn went from 3-9 to 12-2 with a first year coach. I'm not expecting 12 wins, but it is reasonable to expect to see immediate improvement. The cupboard is not bare.

Reaction Score
This is a talented team. This team has a very good set of running backs, receivers and QB's. The OL just has to get helmet to helmet, they don't have to pancake their opponent to get running yardage and pass block for 6 seconds to enable a pass to get off. Defense has talent, like it has serious talent in secondary. Kick and punt returns will be a factor. 10-2. Game luck could get record 1 or 2 games either way.
Even with all the negative crap said about the PP/GDL team, it doesn't even scratch the surface as to how bad they were and the impact of a real good crew of coaches, this team is going to stand CFB on its ear.

Reaction Score
Better than last year (so 4 wins minimum). I honestly think we get to 7 somehow. Even if we struggle early I trust that HCBD will get them going by mid-season. And if not? Hmmm....

Reaction Score
Better than last year (so 4 wins minimum). I honestly think we get to 7 somehow. Even if we struggle early I trust that HCBD will get them going by mid-season. And if not? Hmmm....

I hope you're right.

Side note: I picked up 2 extras in 241 for Friday. I may sit there with my son. Would love to say hi to all of you 241 hooligans.

Reaction Score
I think it will take 3-4 for games for the offense to settle into itself, but, when it does you may be looking at a team that finishes 6-2 or 7-1 for 9 overall wins. This will be a breakout season!!! #huskyup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom