"Boneyard '22 Head Football Coach" | The Boneyard

"Boneyard '22 Head Football Coach"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I often wonder why more alums don't donate to UCONN. How about the Bob's Furniture guy?

Reaction Score
UConn should have a better endowment....HC's is nearly twice as big. Get giving guys!

Reaction Score
Let's start the GoFundMe for it. For those who talk about the buyout being $0 and thinking of the cost of hiring a staff, here's a data point.

Pitt just pulled in a $20M donation and the football coach is now the "Chris Bickell '97 Head Football Coach". I'm waiting to see if the announcers use that title when referencing the coach and/or if the TV graphics reflect that name.

Massive $20M donation to Pitt leads to bizarre name change for head coaching position (yahoo.com)
Pitts 1976 National Championship was bought in 1973 the year before NCAA scholarship limits went into effect.
Johnny Majors brought in 102 Freshman and 18 JR college transfers to campus. So infusion of cash is not surprising. They took 205 players to fall camp that year.

Reaction Score
UConn didn’t push hard for donations until the last 15 years or so. It was well funded by the state and donations weren’t made a priority until far too late in the school’s history.

Reaction Score
Endowing a coaching position, especially FB, has been very common for more than a decade. Probably half of the P5 schools have a fund to cover the amount the school actually pays the coach. Not the full contract that is usually reported since that contains a lot of extras such as media, shoe, speaking deals, Etc. Not just at larger programs but other levels as well. At this point I think all of the head FB coach positions in the Ivies are endowed. May be wrong on this but I think I remember seeing an article recently that even this weekend's opponent, HC has a FB head coach endowment.

Reaction Score
So basically, the premise is that since UCONN isn't well endowed we have a puny little coach instead of a big time coach

Reaction Score
So basically, the premise is that since UCONN isn't well endowed we have a puny little coach instead of a big time coach

I don't think the two are related. We pay up for MBB and over the top for WBB. FB just does not have the same importance.

On the endowment side, in my opinion, it has more to do with the fact that for generations of CT residents attending UConn was not something to be proud of. In the deep dark past when I was at NBHS the smart and middle class kids wanted Yale, Harvard, Dartmouth, Princeton, Williams, Amherst, Trinity, Wesleyan or Brown. If they were Catholic throw in HC, BC and Fordham. UConn was for the average students especially from blue collar families.

Reaction Score
Some schools have all of the scholarships endowed too. Even William and Mary had that.

Reaction Score
I don't think the two are related. We pay up for MBB and over the top for WBB. FB just does not have the same importance.

On the endowment side, in my opinion, it has more to do with the fact that for generations of CT residents attending UConn was not something to be proud of. In the deep dark past when I was at NBHS the smart and middle class kids wanted Yale, Harvard, Dartmouth, Princeton, Williams, Amherst, Trinity, Wesleyan or Brown. If they were Catholic throw in HC, BC and Fordham. UConn was for the average students especially from blue collar families.

That’s the way it is/was with state schools in the northeast. And sadly tons of smart northeastern kids go to Michigan or UNC.

Whereas in most other parts of the country state schools can be rather prestigious.

Reaction Score
That’s the way it is/was with state schools in the northeast. And sadly tons of smart northeastern kids go to Michigan or UNC.

Whereas in most other parts of the country state schools can be rather prestigious.

As hard as it may be to believe today when I was at NBHS in the early 60's middle class kids with so so qualifications preferred U of Vermont over UConn.

Reaction Score
As hard as it may be to believe today when I was at NBHS in the early 60's middle class kids with so so qualifications preferred U of Vermont over UConn.

It was like that in the early ‘90s too. UVM had nothing to do with sports too.

Reaction Score
The reason why we don’t donate is because the wrong people are in charge of the money. Get a competent admin at UConn and money could roll in.

Reaction Score
Let's get an endowed position going. Imagine the announcers having to say The Boneyard on TV

Reaction Score
Let's get an endowed position going. Imagine the announcers having to say The Boneyard on TV
Head Coach "So and So" proudly endowed by The Boneyard. Has a nice ring to it.

Reaction Score

So it’s over the top for WBB because they’ve only won 10 of the past 21 NCs? If only FB had a higher bar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom