Blumenthal strikes again | The Boneyard

Blumenthal strikes again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bashing NHL over concussions. He contributed to our not gaining entrance to the ACC. while the NHL was a long shot and years down the road, you can kiss the Whalers goodbye

Reaction Score
Bashing NHL over concussions. He contributed to our not gaining entrance to the ACC. while the NHL was a long shot and years down the road, you can kiss the Whalers goodbye
While I think that Blumenthal is a ...Gary Bettman is a bigger one! The NHL is NEVER coming back to CT as long as Bettman is involved with the league in ANY capacity! He is a complete moron about concussions and the NHL. Look no further than Eric and Brett Lindros to name a few...then you go to guys like Wade Belak and Derek Boogard.

Reaction Score
Lol. Would they be playing outdoors in the Yard Goats stadium?
Just trying to take a break from the Big 12 funeral march. Of course Hartford is not getting a team. Just reminding those who say he was only being being a typical politician holding press conferences and suing people. He is not. He is a media hound who does not understand sports.

Reaction Score
In the long run he will be proven right though. The brain smashing into the skull is just bad news.

Reaction Score
In the long run he will be proven right though. The brain smashing into the skull is just bad news.
Why not leave it to senators who have an NHL team, perhaps Florida.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think we can all agree that Blumenthal is a camera wh0re, but this is actually something that should be pushed. Gary Bettman's stance is hopelessly outdated and uninformed and he is putting his players at risk. Sidney Crosby has had a few concussions in his career already. Eric Lindros' career was derailed by concussions. These aren't 4th line goons, who he is trying to protect here. These are superstar players who are often hit from behind or run by teams' goons.

I don't know why a CT Senator has to be the one out in front of this though. But I don't care as long as player safety is addressed.

Reaction Score

Marco Rubio or Bill Nelson. That is so funny, I don't think you realize how good of a joke you just told. NHL died to me the day they left Hartford.
The real issue is that you are criticizing a guy who will be proven right over time in terms of head injuries. History will look back and he will be there as the canary in the coal mine. That is all, nothing more.

Reaction Score
I think we can all agree that Blumenthal is a camera wh0re, but this is actually something that should be pushed. Gary Bettman's stance is hopelessly outdated and uninformed and he is putting his players at risk. Sidney Crosby has had a few concussions in his career already. Eric Lindros' career was derailed by concussions. These aren't 4th line goons, who he is trying to protect here. These are superstar players who are often hit from behind or run by teams' goons.

I don't know why a CT Senator has to be the one out in front of this though. But I don't care as long as player safety is addressed.

Good point. This is an important issue. Why not go after the NCAA? While players should be protected, they are professionals. Colleges make me sick. Look at the football players with four year degrees who are broke after making millions.

How many concussions are at the collegiate level? Is he afraid of the NCAA?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

He's a ranking member on the committee that has oversight on professional sports.

Dooley

Reaction Score
He's a ranking member on the committee that has oversight on professional sports.

Didn't know that. In that case, this makes sense.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Good point. This is an important issue. Why not go after the NCAA? While players should be protected, they are professionals. Colleges make me sick. Look at the football players with four year degrees who are broke after making millions.

How many concussions are at the collegiate level? Is he afraid of the NCAA?

By the time an athlete becomes pro, they will have likely been hit in the head far too many times than is necessary. It all starts at the youth level with proper coaching technique and moving its way up the ranks. Unfortunately, player safety and proper technique is replaced by the overwhelming urge to win and player safety is sacrificed as a result.

I don't know what the answer is. But I would think that developing better headgear would be a logical place to start a study.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Not that I'm advocating this moron opening his mouth about anything to do with UConn CR, but he's commenting on NHL concussion protocol while he sits by and watches UConn twist in the wind?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is that oversight and government reform?

While I don't like the guy I don't think it's out of bounds to attempt to get the NHL to study concussions - since it impacts millions of amateur players around the country.

Reaction Score
While I don't like the guy I don't think it's out of bounds to attempt to get the NHL to study concussions - since it impacts millions of amateur players around the country.
You mean the colleges don't make enough to do a study of their own "amateur" athletes?

Reaction Score

Not defending Blumenthal but answering your question - local angles:

Senator Blumenthal Calls On NHL To Fund Concussion Study; NHL's Response: It's 'Media Hype'

>>Blumenthal, former Connecticut attorney general, joined Dr. David Wang, a physician at the Connecticut Children's Medical Center who specializes in treating and researching sports-related concussions, and Paige Decker, a former Yale ice hockey player who suffered a career-ending concussion in 2013, in calling for more research and advocacy.<<

Former Yale Hockey player joins in call for NHL concussion study

And: "Blumenthal is a ranking member of the Senate subcommittee on consumer protection, which oversees professional and amateur sports."

Reaction Score

Sadly you are correct that he is a camera wh0re.

Unfortunately, the concussion problem is real and deserves serious attention. I just wish it was brought to the fore front by others who might be more highly regarded.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Blumenthal's camera adoration aside, I really think that fighting has to go. The NHL players that are having the most issues are "enforcer" types. A lot of these guys have come up through the Canadian Major Junior Hockey leagues. There are twice as many fights in Canadian junior hockey as there are in the NHL. It really doesn't have much to do with the actual game. It leads to a ton of head contact both from punches thrown and falls during the fight. The US game thrives at every level below the NHL and AHL without fighting.. there's no reason the Canadian junior leagues and the NHL can't as well.

Reaction Score
And other than the press, what do you think his interest in the topic is? I don't ever remember him at a Whalers or a UCONN hockey game. I think his only interest in sports has been marching in victory parades.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And other than the press, what do you think his interest in the topic is? I don't ever remember him at a Whalers or a UCONN hockey game. I think his only interest in sports has been marching in victory parades.

Blumenthal is doing his job. That is what his interest is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom