Blue Star Photos from McDonalds - Monday's Activities | The Boneyard

Blue Star Photos from McDonalds - Monday's Activities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
http://www.bluestarmedia.org/index.php/component/k2/item/1184-all-american-game

Napheesa Collier won the Skills Competition.

I had Collier playing Wing or Forward at UConn. Beginning to think that she'll end up as a 2 guard and if so, will cause huge problems because of her size. If that happens, Gabby will remain a Wing/Forward. Will be interesting to see how Geno manages the rotation next year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Collier seems to be able to do everything.

Ok, Durr won the 3-point contest. That's impressive. Did Lou compete?

Also, is Lou healthy or banged up? DJB has a bandage on her hand. Will she be playing?

HGN

Reaction Score
Collier seems to be able to do everything.

Ok, Durr won the 3-point contest. That's impressive. Did Lou compete?

Also, is Lou healthy or banged up? DJB has a bandage on her hand. Will she be playing?
A couple of pictures from the McDonalds practices showed Boykin with a heavy wrap on her right wrist.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A couple of pictures from the McDonalds practices showed Boykin with a heavy wrap on her right wrist.
I am beginning to worry about Boykin's hand. I believe her hand was in a cast at the South Carolina game and reported damaged in Dec???. Does anyone have the 411 on this injury?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
http://www.bluestarmedia.org/index.php/component/k2/item/1184-all-american-game

Napheesa Collier won the Skills Competition.

I had Collier playing Wing or Forward at UConn. Beginning to think that she'll end up as a 2 guard and if so, will cause huge problems because of her size. If that happens, Gabby will remain a Wing/Forward. Will be interesting to see how Geno manages the rotation next year.
I am predicting The Pheenom start at the 2 Guard for UCONN and displace Nurse as a starter next year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am beginning to worry about Boykin's hand. I believe her hand was in a cast at the South Carolina game and reported damaged in Dec???. Does anyone have the 411 on this injury?
She had surgery and missed about half of the season. The outlook is good, but she's still recovering.

Reaction Score
I don't know about keeping Nurse out of the lineup. I think that she'll start at the three forcing Butler to assume the sixth man role. I think that her versatility puts her in the eight player mix with Gabby, KLS, and Butler.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
It will be hard to displace Nurse as a starter, but it might happen if Collier is as good as advertised. Geno might decide to have Kia move over to the PG position to get ready for the day Moriah Graduates. This will give Crystal Dangerfield time to get acclimated to the College Game. Kia plays the point for Team Canada and would think that's her more natural position.

HGN

Reaction Score
I am too worried............Nothing has been written about her in the local (Baltimore) papers or the Washington Post. Maybe we will hear something during the McDonalds game. But if she doesn't play , or is limited , that will tell us something.

Reaction Score
I don't see Butler as the sixth person off the bench. Her rebounding ability will allow UConn to dominate the boards and run their fast break to the extreme. At 6'5" Natalie will be able to outlet the ball over the heads of the defenders and UConn will be off and running. Breanna, Moriah, Morgan, Kia and Natalie with Gabby and Napheesa the first two off the bench. Saniya and Courtney may get buried on the bench with Katie Lou and De'Janae also in the running for minutes. Katie Lou has to improve her defense to get major minutes. The offense is not a problem. In two years: Morgan, Kia, Natalie, Napheesa and Katie Lou to start. Gabby first off the bench.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Having seen Collier play many times I can tell you she is not a guard. If this were a pro label I'd call her a small forward. But labels mean little at UConn with so many interchangeable parts. Don't think I'd want Nurse playing point either, but we'll see.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I am predicting The Pheenom start at the 2 Guard for UCONN and displace Nurse as a starter next year.
LOL. No. Won't happen. And Collier is not a SG, nor will she ever play one at UCONN. KML is more of a SG than Collier is and she rarely played the 2.

Not saying Collier does not posses a ton of skills. She has a game and skill set eerily similar to the great one, Miss Maya. Some have called her "Maya lite". Not a bad rep to have coming into college - especially given that Maya is right now, probably the best player in the world, or a close #2 behind Diana.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
LOL. No. Won't happen. And Collier is not a SG, nor will she ever play one at UCONN. KML is more of a SG than Collier is and she rarely played the 2.

Not saying Collier does not posses a ton of skills. She has a game and skill set eerily similar to the great one, Miss Maya. Some have called her "Maya lite". Not a bad rep to have coming into college - especially given that Maya is right now, probably the best player in the world, or a close #2 behind Diana.
Not sure I agree with your examples. Maya played 2-4 on Olympic teams. DT played PG at UCONN well enough to win Lieberman. Down the stretch last year KML Played more Guard because there was only 1 sub Kiah. So KML was playing Guard whenever MoJett or Bria was resting for the most important part of the season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Having seen Collier play many times I can tell you she is not a guard. If this were a pro label I'd call her a small forward. But labels mean little at UConn with so many interchangeable parts. Don't think I'd want Nurse playing point either, but we'll see.
I wonder too, but I've heard Napheesa say that Geno wants to play her at guard. I find that surprising, but few of us--maybe none--thought that Gabby would be playing forward. We'll see in time.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I wonder too, but I've heard Napheesa say that Geno wants to play her at guard.

You're referring to her recent comment where she said she'd be playing on the perimeter at UConn. She can play on the perimeter in the same way that Tuck can, but her greatest strengths are within 14 or so feet. UConn players are constantly moving; it's not like a Brittney Griner situation where she would just stake out a spot down low and call for the ball all the time. So things, including labels, are flexible. To me, she's much like Stewart but with a smaller percentage of long jumpers.

Reaction Score
In terms of her physical attributes, Napheesa has an almost perfect wing build (in the same way that Kiah has an almost perfect power forward / undersized center build). Very lengthy and athletic, with good speed.

She has 3-point ability, but probably not in the 50% range. More like the Stewart/Tuck level of shooting. She's got the ability to do a lot of damage inside, in large part because she seems to have a very active motor (she may well be 2nd or 3rd most energetic on the team, after Moriah and similar to Gabby).

What does all this mean? She can play in the post for small lineups, and can probably work the perimeter well on large lineups. UConn's roster being the way it will be next year, I suspect she'll be doing more work at the 3 position than the 4. I can see a mix of activity at the basket and mid-range jumpers, with some opportunistic 3 point attempts.

She's gonna be fun to watch. :)

segway: Looking at that gallery of McD's players, a surprisingly large number of them were content to wear short shorts, including Napheesa. She won't be doing that at UConn, of course, but it goes to show that it's not just showboaty types who go with the different short lengths. Napheesa ain't a showboat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom