Blauds: UConn/Cincy Leaning Towards C7 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Blauds: UConn/Cincy Leaning Towards C7

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what the point is of people like RS9999X commenting on the financial value of one of the new teams is. They are already added. Their financial viability is what it is. What we are discussing here is the product. Get back on topic, please.

1) As far as the product is concerned, the product will NOT be inferior to the C-7.
2) UConn will still likely schedule many of our former colleagues of the C-7 on our schedule anyways.

This is how it is, and this is how it has to be in the near future. YOU CANNOT ABANDON FOOTBALL!!!! Any fan of this board who believes that the university can improve its athletic standing in the absence of football hasn't been awake during the last decade of conference expansion. Wake up...

How do you know the C7 basketball product won't be better? You don't even know who is in the league - but if they add Butler, Xavier and Creighton without doing the math they would be higher in the computers this season.

For example DePaul is brutal. In the pomeroys they are 40 slots ahead of SMU, 50 ahead of ECU, 60 ahead of Houston. The only C7 team worse than Tulane, Central Florida, and USF is DePaul.

So in 2013 60% of the NNNBE would rank behind 6 of the C7.

They are talking about Creighton (13), VCU (12), Butler (33), St Louis (62) and Xavier (80). We are talking about UMass (139) and Tulsa (178).

Seems pretty obvious to me that their basketball product is going to be light years ahead to start, they might get a nice payday and they don't have any distraction from football.

Sure that doesn't fit the narrative that the C7 sucks - but when has the narrative around here matched reality anyway?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
How do you know the C7 basketball product won't be better? You don't even know who is in the league - but if they add Butler, Xavier and Creighton without doing the math they would be higher in the computers this season.

For example DePaul is brutal. In the pomeroys they are 40 slots ahead of SMU, 50 ahead of ECU, 60 ahead of Houston. The only C7 team worse than Tulane, Central Florida, and USF is DePaul.

So in 2013 60% of the NNNBE would rank behind 6 of the C7.

They are talking about Creighton (13), VCU (12), Butler (33), St Louis (62) and Xavier (80). We are talking about UMass (139) and Tulsa (178).

Seems pretty obvious to me that their basketball product is going to be light years ahead to start, they might get a nice payday and they don't have any distraction from football.

Sure that doesn't fit the narrative that the C7 sucks - but when has the narrative around here matched reality anyway?

First of all, you're a couple of thread pages late. I've already posted that an addition of Xavier and Butler is what the C-7 would need, and that without it, we are unquestionably better.

Secondly, I have never generated a narrative that the C7 sucks, so you may wish to reply to those that have made that assertion. What I have said continuously is that a life for UConn in the C7 while putting our football in independent status is death to the athletics program. We will then turn into St. John's. I thought that you had agreed with that assertion in other posts and threads, but if I'm wrong about that, feel free to correct me on your stance...

(are you and I on thread number 4 already??? ;))

Reaction Score
Say UConn and Cincy put all sports but football in the C7, and they also added Creighton, VCU, Butler. Would you rather have a conference schedule of Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, St. John's, Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, Creighton, VCU, Butler, Cincy? Better than Temple, Memphis, Cincy, Houston, SMU, Tulane, ECU, USF, UCF. Could take the first list for everything but football and then the second could be our football schedule. Not bad in my eyes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First of all, you're a couple of thread pages late. I've already posted that an addition of Xavier and Butler is what the C-7 would need, and that without it, we are unquestionably better.

Secondly, I have never generated a narrative that the C7 sucks, so you may wish to reply to those that have made that assertion. What I have said continuously is that a life for UConn in the C7 while putting our football in independent status is death to the athletics program. We will then turn into St. John's. I thought that you had agreed with that assertion in other posts and threads, but if I'm wrong about that, feel free to correct me on your stance...

(are you and I on thread number 4 already??? ;))

Oh we totally agree on Indy football.

I just think it's pretty clear that the C7 is going to have a better basketball league than the Big East. UConn shouldn't join it - but it's going to be better if they really get the dollars that are being talked about.

The numbers would tell you that today the C7 has better basketball teams on average than the 10 Big East schools.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Say UConn and Cincy put all sports but football in the C7, and they also added Creighton, VCU, Butler. Would you rather have a conference schedule of Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, St. John's, Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, Creighton, VCU, Butler, Cincy? Better than Temple, Memphis, Cincy, Houston, SMU, Tulane, ECU, USF, UCF. Could take the first list for everything but football and then the second could be our football schedule. Not bad in my eyes.

I'd like to put the basketball team in the ACC and the football team in the Big 10. It doesn't really work like that.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Flipped what? I don't advocate C7 and indy. That's a death sentence. Might as well turn the rent into a flea market.

This!

Perhaps I use too many words to try to eloquently describe an idea that could be completely summed up by calling it, "a flea market." Good call...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
By the way, it's a well known Boneyard policy that if Whaler and I both agree on a topic, then it becomes the accepted correct answer...just sayin'...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what the point is of people like RS9999X commenting on the financial value of one of the new teams is. They are already added. Their financial viability is what it is. What we are discussing here is the product. Get back on topic, please.

1) As far as the product is concerned, the product will NOT be inferior to the C-7.
2) UConn will still likely schedule many of our former colleagues of the C-7 on our schedule anyways.

This is how it is, and this is how it has to be in the near future. YOU CANNOT ABANDON FOOTBALL!!!! ...

I have no problems analyzing the C7s superiority. Your analysis on the C7 is wrong. Period. Loosen up the helmet. Can't abandon football? I remain unconvinced the league is not diluting itself at UConn's expense unless the contract has Boise types of performance incentives.

We will know when we see the numbers but football is getting what they want--the dominant position at UConn even if it was a form of mutually assured destruction. After all, getting to 12 cruddy football teams means everything!

They will need premier OOC opponents to sell season tickets. A 3 game package with Tulane, Western Michigan and USF isn't going to sell too well unless its reduced to Tulane prices. That's the good news IMHO. Seat prices will crater to the level of the competition.

Reaction Score
Flipped what? I don't advocate C7 and indy. That's a death sentence. Might as well turn the rent into a flea market.
Not a bad idea . Kind of goes with that mall attached to the XL.

I don't condone going indy. I still can't understand why Tulane FB is okay for the NBE (with it's dismal BB program) but Uconn FB would not be okay for them without throwing in our BB program.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I have no problems analyzing the C7s superiority. Your analysis on the C7 is wrong. Period. Loosen up the helmet. Can't abandon football? I remain unconvinced the league is not diluting itself at UConn's expense unless the contract has Boise types of performance incentives.

We will know when we see the numbers but football is getting what they want--the dominant position at UConn even if it was a form of mutually assured destruction. After all, getting to 12 cruddy football teams means everything!

They will need premier OOC opponents to sell season tickets. A 3 game package with Tulane, Western Michigan and USF isn't going to sell too well unless its reduced to Tulane prices. That's the good news IMHO. Seat prices will crater to the level of the competition.

"Might as well turn the Rent into a flea market." Whaler, 1/20/13

Reaction Score
Not a bad idea . Kind of goes with that mall attached to the XL.

I don't condone going indy. I still can't understand why Tulane FB is okay for the NBE (with it's dismal BB program) but Uconn FB would not be okay for them without throwing in our BB program.

Exactly, I'm not convinced at all that the nbe would not allow UConn to park just football in the league. If we could keep most sports with the C7 and football in the nbe, it would be a far better option than going all in with the nbe.

Reaction Score
Do we need more competition in New England for FB recruits? Agree they bring a good BB program and an intense rivalry, but Uconn needs to recruit New England better to garner further interest from the ACC or B1G. I say no Tulsa or Umass. Please look elsewhere.

It amazes me that the same group of people who don't want to add UMASS to the Big East because they don't want the recruiting competition are simultaneously advocating putting the football program in CUSA or the MAC or going indy which would absolutely destroy football recruiting far worse than upgrading UMASS would. Instead of upgrading UMASS to our level you would rather downgrade football to UMASS's level. That make no sense at all, it is in fact insanity.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm alone here, but I for one also had a glimmer of hope when the report came out about UConn and Cincy starting a new conference. UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis, USF, Houston, SMU, Boise St., UNLV, BYU, New Mexico, and UMass/Utah St./Fresno St. would have a far better chance at getting us closer to the big boys until we got the call up.

I just really think certain schools that are now invited or rumored to be actually diminish the value. I don't have a problem with having a conference of 8 or 9 teams, if we can't find members that add any real value. Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, etc. just add so little.

Reaction Score
At the top, the match ups in the nbe are pretty comparable for hoops. It's the bottom where things really get bad. Playing G'Town, Marquette, Villanova, St. John's, Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, Butler and Xavier beats the hell out of playing ECU, Tulane, UCF, and the rest. We will be playing programs that really don't belong on the same floor as us at all.

Bull. UCF beat us in the recent past. When has DePaul beaten us.

People are so biased on this, they are not even evaluating things properly. USF and Cincy beat the top of the CYO7 yestedray.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm alone here, but I for one also had a glimmer of hope when the report came out about UConn and Cincy starting a new conference. UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis, USF, Houston, SMU, Boise St., UNLV, BYU, New Mexico, and UMass/Utah St./Fresno St. would have a far better chance at getting us closer to the big boys until we got the call up.

I just really think certain schools that are now invited or rumored to be actually diminish the value. I don't have a problem with having a conference of 8 or 9 teams, if we can't find members that add any real value. Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, etc. just add so little.

You're not alone in terms of the excitement of UConn and Cincy starting up their own conference. I was somewhat excited too, if only to get out from under the noose around our necks called "Tulane". But there are things that people are not factoring into that equation:

1) What happens to the NCAA credit money? - This is big-time money that still needs to be dispersed to the Big East, and it is still unclear who it belongs to and how much of it belongs to us (even though we are primarily responsible for earning the damned thing!). One thing is for certain; if UConn and Cincy break off on their own, they likely get zero.

2) What happens to the BE exit fee money? - Again, big-time money. Again, see the comment above.

3) From a football standpoint, it isn't extremely different - With the exception of convincing BYU to join (which could certainly happen, since I don't think they want to be indy anymore), the other additions are equally strong (or equally weak, depending on how you look at the glass). In your scenario above, you are getting rid of Tulane and ECU in order to add UNLV and New Mexico. I've got news for you; ECU is the best of the four, and Tulane is about as good as New Mexico.

One of the options that people haven't talked about very much on the board (but may be talked about behind the scenes) is just an affiliation between the Mountain West and the Big East. This would allow the strong teams to schedule each other in all sports in some form of a partnership, without having to deal with the cumbersome nature of constant East-West traveling. Then, UConn gets its football games against the Boise's of the world and gets its basketball games against the SDSU's of the world without giving up our NCAA credits, exit fees, and NCAA tourney auto bid...

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm alone here, but I for one also had a glimmer of hope when the report came out about UConn and Cincy starting a new conference.

You are alone.

Edit: mostly alone. Who is going to join a UCONN, Cincy conference when we are standing at the door waiting for an ACC invite?

Reaction Score
Bull. UCF beat us in the recent past. When has DePaul beaten us.

People are so biased on this, they are not even evaluating things properly. USF and Cincy beat the top of the CYO7 yestedray.
Already acknowledged this. What is to say Cincy and USF don't regress in the NBE? I don't see how their past experience in CUSA supports the argument that they can sustain their programs in the NBE. The BE rejuvenated Cincy and made USF.

Reaction Score
It amazes me that the same group of people who don't want to add UMASS to the Big East because they don't want the recruiting competition are simultaneously advocating putting the football program in CUSA or the MAC or going indy which would absolutely destroy football recruiting far worse than upgrading UMASS would. Instead of upgrading UMASS to our level you would rather downgrade football to UMASS's level. That make no sense at all, it is in fact insanity.
You have me here by the balls. Although I never "advocated" CUSA or the MAC, I did suggest Uconn could sustain itself at that level as has NIU. I have always however advocated either the MWC or the NBE for FB only. Being in a conference with UMASS would be a mistake.

Reaction Score
Already acknowledged this. What is to say Cincy and USF don't regress in the NBE? I don't see how their past experience in CUSA supports the argument that they can sustain their programs in the NBE. The BE rejuvenated Cincy and made USF.

I can just as easily say how do you know Gtown and Nova won't fall apart in their new league. The Big East made both of them. It's why we should keep the Big East name with the football schools.

Reaction Score

Cincy has been good for a very long time. Huggy had that program rockin'. USF has no history to speak of. UCF beat UConn last year.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

That's it. Going with the 8 plus Navy and leaving Tulsa and ECU and Tulane completely on the side and retaining the C7 would seem much stronger in my eyes.

I can appreciate the C7s point of view: if one more team leaves (UConn) they can add Butler, Dayton and Xavier and effectively replace Cincy, Temple and Memphis and no one cares about UCF, USF, SMU and Houston. They would rather do home and away with better teams within the C10.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
That's it. Going with the 8 plus Navy and leaving Tulsa and ECU and Tulane completely on the side and retaining the C7 would seem much stronger in my eyes.

This is what I don't understand. There seems to be some miscommunication between some of the posters on this board and the Big East office. Do you all realize that ECU and Tulane are already in the Big East??? This isn't a choice. We invited. They accepted. It's done. It's over.

I don't know if it's due to some people not fully progressing through the various stages of grief, but I sure hope that's what it is....

EDIT: I also forgot to comment on your thought process that has the C7 coming back to us if we have the right blend of non-AQ football teams. Picture Coach Pitino saying the following things about the C7:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom