Birdman | The Boneyard

Birdman

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wow. Saw this last night. I really liked it, even though I'm still not quite sure what to make of it. It has stayed with me and made me feel like I might want to see it again. I'm often bored for stretches in most movies but I was compelled to watch this one the entire time, feeling like I had no idea what might happen next. It flows very well imo. Stacked cast with excellent performances from Ed Norton and Emma Stone, and especially Keaton, whom I have always liked. This is a great role for him.

My wife didn't love it; she didn't hate it either, but she was tired and it is on the longer side, and she has less patience than I do for movies that don't make the line between fantasy and reality clear--and this one definitely does not. I liked the ambiguity and uncertainty. In a way it reminded me of American Beauty, another one that I loved and she did not. It's not as grounded or cohesive as that, but imo it plays with some of same themes, especially the search for love and meaning in ordinary lives, which can be sad or beautiful--or both--depending on how you look at it.

On its face it looks like a movie about the industry, and it certainly is on some level, but I don't think that's what it's really about at all.

Interested if anyone else here saw it and, if so, what you thought of it.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen it yet but am excited to see it. I love Inarritu's movies and Michael Keaton is fantastic.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wow, lots of SAG noms for this, including best cast, best lead actor (Keaton), best supporting actor (Norton) and best supporting actress (Stone). Not always an indicator of Academy Awards, but interesting nonetheless to see what others will make of it. I'm not surprised that the industry loved it, but I will be somewhat surprised if it gains broader support, as it is definitely out there--but in a good way. Now I definitely want to see it again.

Reaction Score
Saw it Friday nigth. Really liked it a lot. Keaton, Norton, Stone, and Galifinakos are all very good in their roles. Loved the use of a single camera for long entire scenes, and the number of long, uninterupted takes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Felt that way about Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I thought it was one of the best movies I had ever seen, but I can understand why others would be "meh" about it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow. Saw this last night. I really liked it, even though I'm still not quite sure what to make of it. It has stayed with me and made me feel like I might want to see it again. I'm often bored for stretches in most movies but I was compelled to watch this one the entire time, feeling like I had no idea what might happen next. It flows very well imo. Stacked cast with excellent performances from Ed Norton and Emma Stone, and especially Keaton, whom I have always liked. This is a great role for him.

My wife didn't love it; she didn't hate it either, but she was tired and it is on the longer side, and she has less patience than I do for movies that don't make the line between fantasy and reality clear--and this one definitely does not. I liked the ambiguity and uncertainty. In a way it reminded me of American Beauty, another one that I loved and she did not. It's not as grounded or cohesive as that, but imo it plays with some of same themes, especially the search for love and meaning in ordinary lives, which can be sad or beautiful--or both--depending on how you look at it.

On its face it looks like a movie about the industry, and it certainly is on some level, but I don't think that's what it's really about at all.

Interested if anyone else here saw it and, if so, what you thought of it.
Well if it is anything like American Beauty, I will definitely see it. Thinking my wife may not like it though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom