Bill O'Brien | The Boneyard

Bill O'Brien

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What a nightmare for a new coach. He had one of the best OC jobs in the NFL,Patriots with a great QB and offense and now he is going to watch his new team get torn apart and he will try to rebuild it with severe sanctions. Got to feel for a first time head coach. In this case the grass wasn't greener on the other side. It was a minefield.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Idk, if he decides to stick it out (4 yrs is a long slog) he might end up a hero if they come out of it quickly.

He is rid of the Paterno shadow as far as on the field success for a while.

In the end, I think it's too long a road and he bolts after this or next year.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
What a nightmare for a new coach. He had one of the best OC jobs in the NFL,Patriots with a great QB and offense and now he is going to watch his new team get torn apart and he will try to rebuild it with severe sanctions. Got to feel for a first time head coach. In this case the grass wasn't greener on the other side. It was a minefield.

He will be well paid, and if he doesn't want the challenge/opportunity he will walk out on his contract and take a job somewhere else.

Of all people suffering collateral damage in this affair, these coaches -- at their salaries and knowing the risk when they signed on -- are not where I'm spending empathy.

Reaction Score
It was a gamble on his part on many levels, but he'll get paid seven figures.

That said there is no way he survives this, so he might look to get out before he gets the boot, after three or four terrible seasons.

Reaction Score
Could serve him well though. He has the Patriots job on his resume and if he shows that he can handle being the guy in charge of a situation like this one, bigger things could be out there for him.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
He has a ready-made scapegoat. If they fail, it was because of the sanctions. If they succeed, it was because he was a genius. Of all the people involved, he is actually the one in the best position to be in.

Reaction Score
If Penn State struggles like I think they will for the next few years, he isn't staying. Either he gets fired or he leaves to take over somewhere else or to take an OC job with someone.

Reaction Score

It's a nightmare he signed up for.

Reaction Score
Idk, if he decides to stick it out (4 yrs is a long slog) he might end up a hero if they come out of it quickly.

He is rid of the Paterno shadow as far as on the field success for a while.

In the end, I think it's too long a road and he bolts after this or next year.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

From what I have read he has a pretty restrictive contract. If he leaves early he has to payoff whatever is remaining of his salary to Penn State.

Reaction Score
Got to feel for a first time head coach. In this case the grass wasn't greener on the other side. It was a minefield.

i don't think there's any reason at all to feel bad for him. he knew what he was getting in. besides he's probably one of only 5-6 coaches in FBS that's guaranteed his job for the next 4 years if he wants it. i can't imagine them firing him until they're out of this mess regardless of his performance

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
If Penn State struggles like I think they will for the next few years, he isn't staying. Either he gets fired or he leaves to take over somewhere else or to take an OC job with someone.
not sure they will can him, they will not likely find a replacement of any quality while they are in the dumps...

Reaction Score
If Bill O'Brien didn't know he was coming into something sort of along these lines, he and his agent are both pretty dumb.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
No win situation and certainly wouldn't put it on my resume.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He'll be fine, no pressure at all. He should take a page out of the HCRE handbook and sell himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom