8. USF
9. Rutgers
10. UConn
11. St. John's
12. Villanova
13. Seton Hall
14. Providence
15. DePaul

Are we really 10th? Cuse at #2? Pitt at #5?

Our guards are solid. Are our bigs that bad? It will come down to Nolan/Orlander/Wolf. If those 3 can bring something, I think we will finish much better than 10th.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
I don't think we're 10th, but our bigs are that bad (there's no way to sugar coat it). Luckily, we have 3 NBA prospects in the back court and hopefully a nice bounceback season from DD.

Reaction Score
It is an ESPN premium article. However, here is his list:

1. Louisville
2. Syracuse
3. Notre Dame
4. Marquette
5. Pitt
6. Georgetown
7. Cincinnati
8. USF
9. Rutgers
10. UConn
11. St. John's
12. Villanova
13. Seton Hall
14. Providence
15. DePaul

Our guards are solid. Are our bigs that bad? It will come down to Nolan/Orlander/Wolf. If those 3 can bring something, I think we will finish much better than 10th.

I think that is very optimistic. Didn't we finish 9th/10th last year. I say the over/under on Big East wins next year is 6. They only had 8 last year. They will be very thin and if they get into foul trouble of if the guards have off shooting nights, we have nobody in the front court to take over. Plus I think ever team listed below us and jump up over us.

Reaction Score
Are we that bad? Well, last year, with a better team, where did we finish?

Seems about right as far as a preseason prediction to me.

Reaction Score
I don't think we're 10th, but our bigs are that bad (there's no way to sugar coat it). Luckily, we have 3 NBA prospects in the back court and hopefully a nice bounceback season from DD.

Is Phil Nolan a dud? He is a FR so we can't expect much. We got Shabazz, Boatright, Evans and Calhoun at guards. We should be solid there. If Wolf can bring anything, I think we are ok. We need Wolf to play some D and do some pick and roll with our guards. Like everyone else, I am deeply concerned with our front court. The only guy we know anything about is Orlander. He better step it up this year. Also, we got DD so I hope he has a breakout year since there will be plenty of playing time.

Reaction Score
Are we that bad? Well, last year, with a better team, where did we finish?

Seems about right as far as a preseason prediction to me.

Talent was not the issue last year. Chemistry was a major problem last year. I just hope we can beat CUSE and Pitt.

Reaction Score

That is the question - and until we see our big guys play against top competition, we'll have no idea how good this year's team is going be.

I still think this group has some upside because I don't see too many teams being able to match up with our guards. But we're going to get killed in the paint unless either a) these newcomers can really play or b) we can get away with playing Daniels at the 4.

Just too many question marks at this point. A prediction of 10th place is not unreasonable.

Reaction Score
That is the question - and until we see our big guys play against top competition, we'll have no idea how good this year's team is going be.

I still think this group has some upside because I don't see too many teams being able to match up with our guards. But we're going to get killed in the paint unless either a) these newcomers can really play or b) we can get away with playing Daniels at the 4.

Just too many question marks at this point. A prediction of 10th place is not unreasonable.

I agree. We really have no idea what we got on the front court. Can Wolf score some points and play some defense? We don't know. DeAndre Daniels could be a surprise this year at the 3 spot. Can he play the 4? He is kind of thin but we can go small and press. Do we have the depth to press and play fast? We got the guards to do it. There are a ton of questions but we do have solid guards. Shabazz and Boatright better have a big year.

Let's all hope Nolan can be a stud. He could be the missing piece in the middle.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Hey, who knows, but if you're expecting our bigs to not be "bad" (relatively to the rest of the league), then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I like Nolan's potential but I'm not expecting much out of him.
Olander played well against mid-majors but wilted against the big boys.
Wolf has shown nothing.

And if one of those guys gets hurt, yikes.

We have a good if not great bunch of perimeter guys. Somewhat lost in last year's disappointing season is the fact that Boatright can be a real game-changer. Calhoun is a stud. Evans and Napier give us good depth.

And our wings are good, too. I'm expecting some production from Giffey and Daniels and I don't think I'm being Pollyannish about it. I have no idea what Tolksdorf will give us but I'm assuming "nothing" until he I see him.

But we probably have the worst frontcourt in the Big East by far. Unless Nolan is at least as good as Drummond was last season. Which is a reach, IMO.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Does it matter?

Which part? That Bilas picked us 10th?

No, it doesn't "matter"; nobody would say that it does. The obvious reason why would someone would point it out would be to start a discussion over where we should be ranked.

Reaction Score
It is an ESPN premium article. However, here is his list:

1. Louisville
2. Syracuse
3. Notre Dame
4. Marquette
5. Pitt
6. Georgetown
7. Cincinnati
8. USF
9. Rutgers
10. UConn
11. St. John's
12. Villanova
13. Seton Hall
14. Providence
15. DePaul

Seeing as we don't really have a front court, the real question is: are the five teams picked below us really that bad? A finish anywhere above 15 would be nice. #lowexpectations!

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Our front court is that bad, and I think the season is going to ride on our wing players, especially DD. Right now, we have no reason to believe that our front court players will be able to do much more than grab rebounds and stand in people's ways. I believe that the wings' abilities to move off the ball, around and through traffic, to find open spots for good shots will dictate a lot of our scoring.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Our front court is that bad, and I think the season is going to ride on our wing players, especially DD. Right now, we have no reason to believe that our front court players will be able to do much more than grab rebounds and stand in people's ways. I believe that the wings' abilities to move off the ball, around and through traffic, to find open spots for good shots will dictate a lot of our scoring.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well it's pre-season, so ...I like our chances.

Look we struggled last year (if you can win 20 games and still refer to the year as a 'struggle') but this year's team should be a closer knit bunch. It's not going to look like a post-Emeka UConn team, but JC won a lot of games without a dominating center. As long as this team doesn't turn on itself, I'm actually looking forward to the uptempo pressing style that seems to be inevitable with our personnel. Bazz's job is going to be to score, so we don't have to worry about him not distributing enough. Boat doesn't need to worry about stepping on toes - he's our point. Omar Calhoun (we need a nickname OCal? -probably not) gets to grow without the pressure of being "the man" and our bigs go back to basics, box out, rebound and start the break. Evans will be a calming hand if things get to loosey goosey. Daniels and Giffey will be difficult match ups. These will be fun games to watch. Yeah, come March, things will suck but there's a whole lot of games to be played before then. Might as well enjoy them.

caw

Reaction Score
UL should run away at #1. They should be in the top 5 all year and shoot for a NC this year. This is going to be their best team in years and if they can't do it this year, it will be a disappointment.

Cuse is interesting. I'm not as high on them as they are. They lost a ton in Joseph, Waiters, Melo and Jardine. That's a total of 42 points, 15 rebounds, 4.6 steals and 3.9 blocks. Not to mention 107 minutes. They have some talent but they will need a lot of improvement this year to be a top 10 team. MCW especially will need to make a leap. I would drop them down a notch.

ND will be solid, but similar to last year. I could see moving them to #2, they didn't lose much and Cuse probably has more question marks/unproven players than ND. Both rely on systems to get results though.

Marquette at #4 seems a bit high. They lost Crowder and DJO. That was their heart and soul. Not to mention 26 pts and 70 minutes of PT.

Pitt lost Gibbs, but pick up a PG and Adams. Adams will need to be as good as everyone says for them to be #5 and Pitt doesn't have the best reputation with high rated bigs the past two years. This seems high if Adams doesn't dominate.

Georgetown: Lost their 3 best players. Porter is nice but not sure what else they can rely on. They need some big help from freshmen and bigs who haven't produced in the past (like Sims this past year).

Cincy: losing Gates could hurt them, he was really their only dependable big. Their bigs are almost as bad as UConn's (or at least as unproven). Getting Kilpatrick back was huge for them.

USF: shocked people last year. Losing Augustin will hurt, but won't kill them. They looked a ton better when they got a PG and their pace will annoy plenty of teams.

Rutgers may actually be decent this year, but they are Rutgers.

SJU: seems like they should be higher, but they lost Harkless and are going to rely on a bunch of freshman and sophomores. Not to mention who knows if Lavin will be back (Dunlap is gone), so not sure who will coach. They could jump up this list if they mesh well. They have a good amount of talent assuming everyone is eligible.

Nova, may actually be worse than this ranking.

Seton Hall: Edwin is nice, but...who else do they have

Providence: if Ledo is eligible and lives up to his hype, and Dunn gets healthy and does the same they could move up. Council, Cotton and Henton are a good 1-3 even without Ledo/Dunn. I guess they go with Batts and Kofane up front? Serious 4 guard look if Ledo/Dunn come in and run stuff. I might move them up based on the two teams above them.

DePaul, who knows. They were bad last year and probably will be again.

UConn could be a lot better than expected this year and would have actually been poised to have a very good year if AO/RS had stayed, considering what everyone else lost.

Reaction Score
If Olander, Wolf, Nolan, and Leon can board, play D, and set screens I'd be more than happy with that. Some jumpers from Olander and garbage baskets from the rest is fine as long our backcourt and wing players play up to the level that they can. We haven't been able to throw the ball into the post and expect a basket the past 3 years so it's not like this year is a big difference in that regard. Boat, Bazz, Omar, and RJ should be a very good foursome, Daniels should finally start to show the ability that had him ranked in the top 10, and I expect Giffey to at least by solid now that it is year 3.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Rutgers may actually be decent this year, but they are Rutgers.

lol

U

UCONNfan1

I have no argument with the list. In fact, I'd probably have put us 11 or 12. But then again, weren't we preseason 9th a few years back when we won the NC? Not saying that will happen, but hard to argue with 10 given what we lost and what we have...

Reaction Score
Over the years one has to respect Bilas and his knowledge. In our poossible worst year ever we are still picked somewhere near where we would be tourny bound, if we were eligible.
Plus we are 4 spots ahead of Providence. That's respect for UConn and disrespect for them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Which part? That Bilas picked us 10th?

No, it doesn't "matter"; nobody would say that it does. The obvious reason why would someone would point it out would be to start a discussion over where we should be ranked.

No, does it matter where we finish? Next year is meaningless.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
No, does it matter where we finish? Next year is meaningless.

Yes it matters! Beyond the fact that I would LOVE to have UConn win the BE regular season and be able to point to a winning team of scholar-athletes who have NOTHING to do with UConn's 2006 APR, which would highlight the NCAA's irrationality, I'M A UCONN FAN WHO WANTS THEM TO WIN EVERY GAME.

If you feel otherwise, why are you even checking and posting on this board? Just come back when we're postseason eligible.

Reaction Score
Outside of Louisville I would say there really is no sure thing in the Big East, with our bigs being a major question mark 10th is a very fair ranking. Outside of ourselves would not be too surprised to see Nova finish a lot higher than they are placed and Pitt too finish lower.

Reaction Score
10th is generous. I see us closer to 12. I am all about being optimistic but people need to look at this roster.

Reaction Score
It will come down to Nolan/Orlander/Wolf. If those 3 can bring something, I think we will finish much better than 10th.
Your optimism is wonderful. But misplaced.
A freshman, the cupcake killer, and a species that was sighted so few times it was considered extinct on the court.

At best - at the very best - that front line is going to be "marginally serviceable."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom