Big10 Network and Basic Cable | The Boneyard

Big10 Network and Basic Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
In the tri-state, at least the people's houses I've been to, the Big10 Network is only offered as a Premium channel. Does anyone with insight into the cable tv industry have any idea what the cost benefit would be to the Big10 if they could get that network onto basic cable in NYC, NJ, CT and potentially some of New England, with the addition of Rutgers and UConn combined with the already large alumni base of a lot of Big10 schools within the Northeast.

I'm sure the Big10 has done studies on this, but since they haven't been made public (to my knowledge) anyone want to take a stab?

Reaction Score
oddly, i already get the B1G network in Boston (COMCAST), i think they must give it for free.

Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask I think that was the exact reason why the B-10 had their eyes on Rutgers earlier. They wanted the Tri-State tv market. I know in my firehouse in Manhattan we don't get BET, but I get it at home on FIOS in Westchester County (not too sure but I think it came in premium sports pkg). Like you said it would open up the tv market for them in the Northeast adding the 2 schools.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask I think that was the exact reason why the B-10 had their eyes on Rutgers earlier. They wanted the Tri-State tv market. I know in my firehouse in Manhattan we don't get BET, but I get it at home on FIOS in Westchester County (not too sure but I think it came in premium sports pkg). Like you said it would open up the tv market for them in the Northeast adding the 2 schools.

Part of me wonders whether they would want it on basic cable, or keep it a premium channel and take a great percent of the cut. Nobody really knows except for Big10 leadership.

I feel like to the Big10 were only valuable with Rutgers, where in the ACC we may have some stand alone value.

Reaction Score
Yeah...I think to the B-10 we lock up the northeast and help lock up NYC market...Rutgers locks up NJ market which is HUGE subscriber wise. To the ACC webring hoops and match-ups right away into the mix...you could see UConn/Duke as Tues night primetime game...then have UConn/UNC as Sat afternoon prime time game...followed by UNC/Duke Tues night...what conference can match that outside of BE as it used to be constructed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom