Big10 and BTN producing first virtual reality broadcast | The Boneyard

Big10 and BTN producing first virtual reality broadcast

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
For football, at least. They are partnering with Voke to produce the November 19th Nebraska vs Minnesota in virtual reality.

Link

Reaction Score
This is the future of sports viewing. I recently acquired an Oculus Rift and the experience is amazing. One of their demonstration clips is of LeBron James driving at you and dunking. I tried to foul him but he blew right thru my arm. It's new technology and not cheap, but that should improve rapidly.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Do you really think anyone here cares about this? We will only care about the Big Ten if we get invited.

It's not about bragging rights, it's about the technical advances being made to how we watch sports (which, in turn effect CR). This is a huge advancement in the product and I thought it was an interesting read. If you took my post as bragging about the Big10, I can tell you it wasn't.

dayooper

Reaction Score
This is the future of sports viewing. I recently acquired an Oculus Rift and the experience is amazing. One of their demonstration clips is of LeBron James driving at you and dunking. I tried to foul him but he blew right thru my arm. It's new technology and not cheap, but that should improve rapidly.

Being able to manipulate the angle of view would be awesome! It looks like they are using Samsung phones as the platform. I wonder how much the headset costs? I have done VR with iPhones and a cardboard viewer, but the device they show looks more advanced than that.

Reaction Score
I wonder how much the headset costs?

Today figure $700 - $850 for the headset, hand controllers and sensors. The sensors are placed around your space and track your head and hand movements.

The bigger nut, however, will be a significantly upgraded computer. The minimum requirements are 7th gen chip, 8GB RAM and 4GB graphics card. My 17 year-old Dell with its Windows XP is now a thing of the past.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Interesting stuff. Live sports are moving more and more towards a stream model. If the kinks can be ironed out for VR live sports, I think most sports fans would fall all over themselves.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think it'll be a blip like 3D televisions were - think of all that you do when you watch a game. You're not going to sit there for three hours with something strapped to your head.

99.90% of us will try it once, think it's cool and then never do it again.

Most of VR's consumer appeal will be gaming.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think it'll be a blip like 3D televisions were - think of all that you do when you watch a game. You're not going to sit there for three hours with something strapped to your head.

99.90% of us will try it once, think it's cool and then never do it again.

Most of VR's consumer appeal will be gaming.

You're probably not wrong. VR is probably better suited for gaming - agree there. It also would force you into watching one game at a time and for losers like me who run up to 2 or 3 stream devices at a time, that is no bueno.

With the "right" game, VR might be really cool...as long as we can all agree NEVER to VR any UConn FB game in the near future. I don't want to be any more "in" the action than I am already.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You're probably not wrong. VR is probably better suited for gaming - agree there. It also would force you into watching one game at a time and for losers like me who run up to 2 or 3 stream devices at a time, that is no bueno.

With the "right" game, VR might be really cool...as long as we can all agree NEVER to VR any UConn FB game in the near future. I don't want to be any more "in" the action than I am already.

Plus, it'd be really hard to rage-tweet about Diaco's offense.

I'd be fumbling around dipping nachos in my beer and sipping queso. I need my eyes.

Reaction Score
phil-dunphy-3d.gif

Reaction Score
I think virtual reality will provide a much better experience for watching highlights than live games.

It would be really cool to see a virtual gameday experience through one of the player's eyes, or something along those lines. But people want to drink and eat and angry tweet while they watch games, and VR will pose too many challenges for that.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I think it'll be a blip like 3D televisions were - think of all that you do when you watch a game. You're not going to sit there for three hours with something strapped to your head. 99.90% of us will try it once, think it's cool and then never do it again. Most of VR's consumer appeal will be gaming.

I'm guessing you have not used real Virtual Reality. Since it is streaming you simply put it on pause, do your business, and return to the game. As far as the appeal don't discount p o r n. This board will someday be held in a virtual chat room, with avatars and verbal discussion. This technology is a game-changer. When the internet was virtually out of the womb I had this same discussion with doubters who could not see any use for it. But, as always, time will tell.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As long as VR involves strapping a mask on your face, it's destined to be a niche product.

It's cool, but there are too many friction points for it to succeed and almost all of them involve the headset.

Give it a couple of years and you'll get a headset thrown in for nothing when you buy a gaming console or subscribe to a p o r n site. That's the market.

pj

Reaction Score
I agree about the highlights. VR may not be best for live viewing but it will make re-watching a totally different experience.

Also, "fantasy football" could totally change.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom