Big Things Coming In Storrs (Campus expansion) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big Things Coming In Storrs (Campus expansion)

Reaction Score
Didn't a marriott in Storrs Center get shot down not too long ago?

Yes, a Fairfield Inn, which is Marriott's low budget hotel chain. I believe it was a combination of pressure from Mansfield not to include a hotel in the Center project and nearly all of the Storrs Center apartments were rented, pressure to add more rental units.

Reaction Score
I believe at that time, the Best Western down the road on 195 and the owners of the Nathan Hale were jointly opposing a 3rd hotel. However, with the official change of the Nathan Hale to UConn and ending it as a Hotel, then it leaves the only complaint from the Best Western in the south area of Mansfield. Furthermore, the Best Western would be the nearest hotel to UConn within a 10 mile radius. I bet we see a Hotel get announced within the next 6 months.

Reaction Score
For quality lodging, nothing beats the Best Western Willi. Bigger, better campus + new technology park + lots of other good stuff = new on-campus or adjacent hotel.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
For quality lodging, nothing beats the Best Western Willi. Bigger, better campus + new technology park + lots of other good stuff = new on-campus or adjacent hotel.

I'd actually like to see them place the hotel in that area near the research park. It would lead to further development and you have to assume most people staying at the hotel would be there to utilize the park in some way. Plus would ease 195 traffic by allowing entry to the hotel via route 44.

Reaction Score
My guess is that it will be in the tech park and it will be a suites style hotel. These are becoming very popular in business parks where people may come to work on a project for days, weeks or even a month or two at a time. The good part for people that might want to stay over on a big game weekend is that their primary volume is Sun. night to Thursday night so weekends are cheap. When my daughter went to prep school in Massachusetts the rest of the family would head up on a Saturday visit and we'd get a two bedroom suite in a nearby office park for about $100.

Reaction Score
That's not the same Nathan Hale that was once a dorm back in the 80s and early 90s is it?

No, Hale is one of the original dorm towers on Hilltop (I lived in it's twins - Ellsworth). Its still there. The Nathan Hale Inn is tucked into a what was a field in between the Alumni dorm complex and the New South Dorm complex.

Reaction Score
My guess is that it will be in the tech park and it will be a suites style hotel. These are becoming very popular in business parks where people may come to work on a project for days, weeks or even a month or two at a time. The good part for people that might want to stay over on a big game weekend is that their primary volume is Sun. night to Thursday night so weekends are cheap. When my daughter went to prep school in Massachusetts the rest of the family would head up on a Saturday visit and we'd get a two bedroom suite in a nearby office park for about $100.

There has already been interest by a hotel (Fairfield Inn) in Storrs Center. That would seem to be the logical choice.

Reaction Score
There has already been interest by a hotel (Fairfield Inn) in Storrs Center. That would seem to be the logical choice.

As a platinum Marriott guy, I know the brands well. A Fairfield Inn, which is Marriott's 'low' budget brand, was actually a surprise to me as a hotel for Storrs simply because having worked with high end business travelers, which encompassing a lot of folks int the higher education field, I know folks who would look down on that. I think the next tier up, Courtyard of a Spring Hill Suite, would be better as it is a 'nicer' hotel brand; but, would not put it out of the range of families visiting campus for events, tours, etc.

Reaction Score
Cannot stand the Mansfield residents. They've held back the University for too long. Their community would be nothing without UConn.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
UConn held a "Topping Out" Ceremony for the new STEM dorm yesterday: Topping-out UConn's Newest Residence Hall - UConn Today

NextGen Hall Welcomes First Students This Week - UConn Today

When the Governor, University leaders, the General Assembly, and the state’s business community all joined in support of the $1.5 billion Next Generation Connecticut initiative, they were thinking about the future – and they were thinking big.

That spirit is embodied in UConn’s newest residence hall, which opens its doors to more than 700 undergraduates this fall.

Students are now beginning to move into the eight-story Next Generation Connecticut Hall (NextGen Hall), the first new on-campus housing in 13 years, and the first building completed under the initiative to expand UConn’s programs in STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and math), increase enrollment, and help build Connecticut’s future workforce.

One of the tallest buildings in Storrs, with a commanding view on all sides, the 210,000-square-foot residence hall will house mainly freshmen and sophomores. Just over 50 percent will be engineering majors, while the rest will be drawn from a variety of subject areas, including other STEM disciplines.

The University officially opens the residence hall today, with a ribbon-cutting ceremony taking place at 11:30 a.m., as early-arriving students move in. Freshmen residents of the building will move in on Friday, and upperclassmen and transfer students will move in over the weekend.

Reaction Score
The reason I ran for the Alumni BoD was partially because the school needs to do a much better job of engaging its alums and building a network. I didn't know how bad it was until I went to Columbia for my MBA and saw how the big boys build a network.

Of course, the process was so political and the Alumni Association is so poisoned by old grudges that I doubt they will ever make any progress without blowing the whole thing up that I won't run again.

But I'm going to continue to work with the Business school and anyone else in Storrs that wants to try and improve things. You can build 20B worth of buildings and if you don't engage the alumni it won't matter.

You can't run again, there is no more BOD, only appointees to a "committee"

Reaction Score
NextGen Hall Welcomes First Students This Week - UConn Today

When the Governor, University leaders, the General Assembly, and the state’s business community all joined in support of the $1.5 billion Next Generation Connecticut initiative, they were thinking about the future – and they were thinking big.

That spirit is embodied in UConn’s newest residence hall, which opens its doors to more than 700 undergraduates this fall.

Students are now beginning to move into the eight-story Next Generation Connecticut Hall (NextGen Hall), the first new on-campus housing in 13 years, and the first building completed under the initiative to expand UConn’s programs in STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and math), increase enrollment, and help build Connecticut’s future workforce.

One of the tallest buildings in Storrs, with a commanding view on all sides, the 210,000-square-foot residence hall will house mainly freshmen and sophomores. Just over 50 percent will be engineering majors, while the rest will be drawn from a variety of subject areas, including other STEM disciplines.

The University officially opens the residence hall today, with a ribbon-cutting ceremony taking place at 11:30 a.m., as early-arriving students move in. Freshmen residents of the building will move in on Friday, and upperclassmen and transfer students will move in over the weekend.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Putnam Refractory was one of the first buildings I ever stepped foot in on campus, back in high school when the All-State orchestra was at UConn. This is the walkthrough video by PAES (apologies if posted elsewhere)

Reaction Score
Putnam Refractory was one of the first buildings I ever stepped foot in on campus, back in high school when the All-State orchestra was at UConn. This is the walkthrough video by PAES (apologies if posted elsewhere)

Damn, I used to work the breakfast shift in Putnam three days a week and once on the weekend so that I could afford to have a car on campus...

Reaction Score

Wow. I ate there pretty often since I had friends in Hilltop dorms. It was consistently one of the worst dining halls on campus but it looks unbelievable now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom