Big Things Coming In Storrs (Campus expansion) | The Boneyard

Big Things Coming In Storrs (Campus expansion)

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I love the direction this University is taking. Making major investments in STEM research and continuing to grow not only the campus but the value of a UConn degree. This Next Generation CT plan is something I've been saying should happen since I visited UConn: http://www.courant.com/news/education/hc-uconn-next-generation-update-20140805,0,2422596.story

As THE state school for both the cities of New York and Boston, there is no reason why we can't partner with enough companies to create a great project for UConn like this research park. Georgia Tech has a partnership with Ford, and I'm glad to see us reaching out to CT based companies to fill spaces in this park. http://techpark.uconn.edu/master-plan/

The next step is to partner with ESPN to get an on campus renovation of both our radio and television broadcasting site. The "ESPN Studio for Broadcast Development" at UConn could lead directly to UConn graduates being employeed at the "arch enemy" and would continue to modernize the area around Storrs.

There is an obvious need for more housing, both on campus and off. The apartments in Storrs Center are a great start to what should be another 2 or 3 sets of apartments close enough to the campus for students to walk/take a bus.

The growth that this area has seen in the last 5 years alone is remarkable. I can't wait to see where we are in 20 years. Even if we're still in the AAC for athletics the commitment to academics should yield huge dividends for the University and the state of Connecticut for years to come. The biggest thing left to do is to somehow get highway access or at least a two/three lane road to create a back entrance to campus. I've said that the University should try to make a "UConn Expressway" (hell even toll it if you want to) that comes off 84 after exit 68 and comes into campus behind Horsebarn Hill and in between East dorms and the Ag buildings.

If you could add anything to campus what would it be? What would you like to see added to continue the growth of our state and state U?

Reaction Score
Nice.. WHUS is about to blow up! Anybody remember 20 plus years ago when CMC was on the radio there? or my boy Rock? I think Rock stayed on the radio there a few years after we all graduated...

Reaction Score
If you could add anything to campus what would it be? What would you like to see added to continue the growth of our state and state U?

The obvious... an on campus stadium.. duh....

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Cue the on-campus football stadium debate.

Aside from that and the infrastructure necessary to support increased traffic, I'd like to see an enhanced Alumni Association building. Job placements, internships, connected alumni base, campus renovation info, etc. Would be nice to keep the students from MA, NY, and New England in or around Storrs.

Reaction Score
Cue the on-campus football stadium debate.

Aside from that and the infrastructure necessary to support increased traffic, I'd like to see an enhanced Alumni Association building. Job placements, internships, connected alumni base, campus renovation info, etc. Would be nice to keep the students from MA, NY, and New England in or around Storrs.

Job placements would be fantastic. The career center was next to useless when I was there. They basically told me "Don't use the big job boards and make sure your resume is update" and sent me on my way. I would like maybe career counseling on top of placements too. I am currently looking for a new job and failing miserably at it because I don't really know where to look or how to increase my chances at finding a job/posting in my field. This is something I would be willing to donate my alumni dollars towards.

Reaction Score
Job placements would be fantastic. The career center was next to useless when I was there. They basically told me "Don't use the big job boards and make sure your resume is update" and sent me on my way. I would like maybe career counseling on top of placements too. I am currently looking for a new job and failing miserably at it because I don't really know where to look or how to increase my chances at finding a job/posting in my field. This is something I would be willing to donate my alumni dollars towards.

Figure out the companies you want to work for and then call or email employees at the company to see if they have a new hire referal program. If so, then the current employee at the company may get some sort of bonus for referring you to a position. That person is then incentives to help you land a position at their company. This will take a lot of hustle, but has worked for others.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Agreed immensly on the career center. They really need to upgrade this side of things. I'm in CAGNR (Natural Resource Economics) and they haven't done anything for me. I actually found my internship this summer totally on my own after 8 months of searching and they've requested that I give them the employer information so hopefully they start growing their network.

The tech park is so huge for us. Such a great idea and it makes too much sense. Need more things like this to continue to build the population base in and around Storrs. Also need another hotel (I know there were plans for a Fairfield Inn that got whiped away by the Nathan Hale- Which is a dump) and if were going to keep increasing the population base in Storrs I can't stress enough the importance of highway access to campus or at least a three lane road with a 50 MPH speed limit.

Reaction Score

What field are you in? Never could figure out if 85 was graduation or birth. And I watched weeping angels in manhattan last night. Great show.

Reaction Score
Figure out the companies you want to work for and then call or email employees at the company to see if they have a new hire referal program. If so, then the current employee at the company may get some sort of bonus for referring you to a position. That person is then incentives to help you land a position at their company. This will take a lot of hustle, but has worked for others.

Sounds like I need to spent a lot more time on LinkedIn then. That seems like the quickest way to get into contact with people at companies I would like to work at. Honestly, I never really thought of doing something like that. I was more of going the way of staffing agencies and hoping they can place me in a position close to what my degree is. Obviously, that hasn't worked out too well for me because I'm still stuck at my dead end jobs (yes plural).

Reaction Score
What field are you in? Never could figure out if 85 was graduation or birth. And I watched weeping angels in manhattan last night. Great show.

That was probably the best episode of season 7 hands down, but 85 is birth year so I'm 29. I have a degree in chemical engineering and there are jobs there. I see a ton of them on job boards and companies websites, I just have a tough time either standing out for the positions I'm qualified for or don't have enough experience required for the position. I've come to really hate the word "experience" over the past 6 months.

Reaction Score
Nice.. WHUS is about to blow up! Anybody remember 20 plus years ago when CMC was on the radio there? or my boy Rock? I think Rock stayed on the radio there a few years after we all graduated...

DJ Bonzai spun for a couple of semesters. Never volunteerd enough to get better than the 12A-2A slot. I had a 2-5AM slot for my first ever show. There were a ton of crazies who came out during those hours. Lot of Floyd requests even in 2004...never changes.

Reaction Score
Sounds like I need to spent a lot more time on LinkedIn then. That seems like the quickest way to get into contact with people at companies I would like to work at. Honestly, I never really thought of doing something like that. I was more of going the way of staffing agencies and hoping they can place me in a position close to what my degree is. Obviously, that hasn't worked out too well for me because I'm still stuck at my dead end jobs (yes plural).
Also reach out to alumni in the field on linked in. Just tell them what you are looking for and if they know of anyone in their network who may be able to help you find the type of position you are looking for. If they want to help you they can. If not, then they can simply say they don't know of anyone at the current time who can help. You may want to also contact some of your previous professors and ask them if they have contacts in your field.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is what I'm talking about. UCONN students and grads shouldn't have to get career advice on the Boneyard. Build a nice Resource building equipped with staff and tools to help connect everyone in their respective fields. That's what is missing the most at UCONN.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I agree with Sportsman5. LinkedIn is a great resource for professionals, or those aspiring to be. As suggested, you can also search LinkedIn for organizations of like minded people (UConn alumni) and professionals such as (maybe) chemical engineers. Headhunters and company recruiters also roam LinkedIn FWIW, so make sure your profile is updated and full of key words that a prospective employer would be searching for.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I agree with Sportsman5. LinkedIn is a great resource for professionals, or those aspiring to be. As suggested, you can also search LinkedIn for organizations of like minded people (UConn alumni) and professionals such as (maybe) chemical engineers. Headhunters and company recruiters also roam LinkedIn FWIW, so make sure your profile is updated and full of key words that a prospective employer would be searching for.

Worth the warning - trying to unsubscribe from linkedin email is nearly impossible. Don't give them your email unless you are serious about getting their email.

Reaction Score
This is what I'm talking about. UCONN students and grads shouldn't have to get career advice on the Boneyard. Build a nice Resource building equipped with staff and tools to help connect everyone in their respective fields. That's what is missing the most at UCONN.

Totally agree. Technically speaking though, I have a job in my field, seeing as my title is "chemical engineer", but this company confuses me with chemists and lab techs. All I do is lab work all day, and be told to try to test for this and that (which is more an analytical chemist than me).This was fine starting out, but I want to be more hands on with the process. I believe being a graduate from UConn, there should be some form of career counseling available to students and alumni. Even if I had to pay a fee to use it as an alumni, I would. This is one of the reasons why I don't donate to the school outside of being broke of course. It's because they basically tell you that there is a ton of jobs out there throughout your entire college career and all you have to do it look. What they don't tell you is that the majority of jobs (especially here in CT) require some form of experience and then they give you no guidance on how to properly write a resume or even how to look for a job not using the big job board sites.

On a side note: 23 days!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
LinkedIn is a powerful tool if you use it correctly.

The best path is still personal relations and contacts. Which a good alumni center should facilitate.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

The best path is still personal relations and contacts. Which a good alumni center should facilitate.

Every school's career center should have something similar to LinkedIn. If I were looking to hired I'd go to UConn as a resource first.

Reaction Score
Worth the warning - trying to unsubscribe from linkedin email is nearly impossible. Don't give them your email unless you are serious about getting their email.

If i get invited by linked in to join/connect/whatever the heII they call it one more time I am going to crawl through the computer cable all the way to their headquarters and personally strangle every last one of them. I get 20 or 30 a week.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
If i get invited by linked in to join/connect/whatever the heII they call it one more time I am going to crawl through the computer cable all the way to their headquarters and personally strangle every last one of them. I get 20 or 30 a week.

I have tried to stop the email. Credible sites offer a simple unsubscribe link in each email. Not LinkedIn. I went through all the steps they require, and still get their freakin' email. LinkedIn SUCKS.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Seems like it should be. I haven't changed jobs since it was invented. I will try to help UConn grads or Kansas grads who message me looking for help. The career center at UConn back in 1988 was some binders of job ads if I recall. They did schedule interviews in bulk with companies that came to campus, like IBM and Prudential. I certainly hope it is better now.

Reaction Score
Seems like it should be. I haven't changed jobs since it was invented. I will try to help UConn grads or Kansas grads who message me looking for help. The career center at UConn back in 1988 was some binders of job ads if I recall. They did schedule interviews in bulk with companies that came to campus, like IBM and Prudential. I certainly hope it is better now.

I graduated in 1992 and that is EXACTLY what it was like when I was looking for work.

I've been fortunate to be at the same company that I found in one of those binders and have risen thru the ranks ever since.

I was a lucky one I guess. I hope their resources and tools have been greatly improved since then.

A GREAT CAREER and PLACEMENT CENTER woud be one more way for the university to distinguish itself from others. Help with employment and career opportunities is something almost all grads need and can take advantage of. If I were going back to school, this would be among my selection criteria.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
You guys should set your junk mail filters to grab linkedIn emails.

What I HATE about LinkedIn is the endless string of consultant companies that find me, figure out my work email and then spam me every two weeks.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I have tried to stop the email. Credible sites offer a simple unsubscribe link in each email. Not LinkedIn. I went through all the steps they require, and still get their freakin' email. LinkedIn SUCKS.
I set up a Gmail filter precisely to deal with the email blasts from the dozen or so groups I joined. It's just too much. Now All those emails are in a folder I never open...

temery

What?
Reaction Score
You guys should set your junk mail filters to grab linkedIn emails.

What I HATE about LinkedIn is the endless string of consultant companies that find me, figure out my work email and then spam me every two weeks.

That's my problem - work email. I have no ability to filter email.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom