Big Ten to begin talks with Pinstripe Bowl... | The Boneyard

Big Ten to begin talks with Pinstripe Bowl...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So who gets tossed... Big East or Big 12.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/16/big-ten-to-begin-talks-with-pinstripe-bowl/

"... It’s so important, in fact, that Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany announced the conference will begin discussions with the Pinstripe Bowl, which is played in New York City. Outside. In December.

“New York City is the financial sports capital of the world,” Delany told ESPN.com Wednesday. “It’s a global city like Chicago. We’ll have conversations with them.”.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Let's hope it's the Big12 that gets bounced, due to the fact that teams like UConn, Rutgers, Temple, and soon Navy will provide northeastern support and travel well to this game. I guess this will be the true test of whether or not UConn and Rutgers can "deliver the NYC market"...

Reaction Score
It looks like they want to use ny as a playoff site so i think They r trying to boot both Can't stand reading in the blogs everyone whining about playing outside in December. Are these big ten people complaining about a cold weather bowl game? I live in fl and benefit that there are. Many bowls within a Two to four hour drive for me but the worst thing football ever did was this idea of mandatory domes or fair weather states for championships. A 20 degree championship game is going to sell just as well as an 80 degree one. It could actually be detrimental to all these spread teams and help level the playing field.

Reaction Score
Not sure they are talking about a play-off game there. Here's the ESPN take...

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/50184/big-ten-to-discuss-tie-in-with-pinstripe-bowl

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 ~ B1G to discuss tie-in with Pinstripe Bowl

CHICAGO -- The Big Ten favors having a college football playoff within the existing bowls, which essentially pushes those games to warmer climates in the south and west.

As Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said, "Let's say it is 5 degrees. Is that right for the game?"

Apparently it's OK for lower-tier bowls. League commissioner Jim Delany said Wednesday that the Big Ten will have discussions with the Pinstripe Bowl, played outside in late December at New York's Yankee Stadium, about a potential future tie-in.

The Big Ten's current bowl lineup expires after the 2013 season. The lineup is heavy on Florida and Texas games and features only one contest (Little Caesars Pizza Bowl) in the Big Ten footprint, which is played indoors at Detroit's Ford Field.

The Pinstripe Bowl, which launched in 2010 and pits the Big 12 against the Big East, would put Big Ten teams in a familiar climate in late December.

"New York City is the financial sports capital of the world," Delany said Wednesday. "It's a global city like Chicago. We'll have conversations with them."

Delany on Tuesday hinted the Big Ten will diversify its bowl lineup after 2013, which could mean less games in Florida or Texas. While many Big Ten fans would love to see the Detroit game go, I think it's more beneficial to get out of the Gator Bowl and maybe the TicketCity Bowl. Those bowls don't seem to add much for the Big Ten.

Most Big Ten schools have huge alumni/fan bases in New York, and the Pinstripe Bowl would feel less like a road game than some of the annual contests the Big Ten plays.

"We've been in 11 bowl games in the last 15 years," Purdue athletic director Morgan Burke told ESPN.com, "and every time, I feel it's a road game, except when I go to Detroit."

Adding the Pinstripe Bowl and another game in California against the Pac-12 -- Holiday or Kraft Fight Hunger -- makes a lot of sense. The Rose Bowl can't be the only potential Big Ten/Pac-12 postseason matchup, especially with the impending playoff and the possibility of the traditional Rose pairing not taking place each year.

Reaction Score
The Pinstripe Bowl is a certified, bonified and verified Big East Conference bowl game. So, see you later Chuck Nienas and WVU.

Delany's comments about New York City are exactly the same that Carl Spackler has been expousing for some time as it relates to the upside of making college football big time in NYC.

Yesterday, the College Football Hall of Fame announced its newest members in Time Square.

The Heisman Trophy is awarded in downtown New York City

Carl Spackler: "College football is not big time in NYC ONLY because nobody has tried to make it big time. "

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Pinstripe Bowl is a certified, bonified and verified Big East Conference bowl game. So, see you later Chuck Nienas and WVU.

Delany's comments about New York City are exactly the same that Carl Spackler has been expousing for some time as it relates to the upside of making college football big time in NYC.

Yesterday, the College Football Hall of Fame announced its newest members in Time Square.

The Heisman Trophy is awarded in downtown New York City

Carl Spackler: "College football is not big time in NYC ONLY because nobody has tried to make it big time. "

At least you aren't pretending to be different people anymore.

Reaction Score
The Pinstripe Bowl is a certified, bonified and verified Big East Conference bowl game."

Agreed - but only through 2013 season. It was a 4 year contract starting in 2010.

Reaction Score
At least you aren't pretending to be different people anymore.

No DNA in me to pretend to be be anyone but who I am. It would be an insult to do otherwise.

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt if they change the conference affiliation Hal Steinbrenner would exclude the big east. I think they want to give the new York area teams a chance to be in the game. They just had Syracuse m rutgers in it. I think he wants it to be a bowl for the eastern teams. Goodbye big twelve

Reaction Score
Agreed - but only through 2013 season. It was a 4 year contract starting in 2010.

Thanks for the headsup. Regardless of the length of the original contract, this is a very interesting development to say the least.

Reaction Score
All the more reason for our new Commish to move HQ's to NYC. I wouldn't presume anything about BE remaining the co tenant in the Pinstripe. We need to be fighting hard to sustain and improve Bowl alliances. So far, we've been doing nothing but getting outsmarted by the other guys. In case you haven't noticed, nostalgia has not been a big factor in decision making --and except for that Rose Bowl lovefest--money rules the day. Not sure the Pinstripe is looking forward to a San Diego St or Memphis, when in a down year they can have Big 10 vs OK, or WVU.

Reaction Score
I could see this becoming either a B1G v BE or just as easily a B1G v ACC bowl by 2014. Only thing I am certain of is the B12 is out (unless they surprisingly decide to add RU and/or UConn). My personal preference would be B1G v ACC w/ UConn in one of those two leagues (still begging harder).

Reaction Score
I could see this becoming either a B1G v BE or just as easily a B1G v ACC bowl by 2014. Only thing I am certain of is the B12 is out (unless they surprisingly decide to add RU and/or UConn). My personal preference would be B1G v ACC w/ UConn in one of those two leagues (still begging harder).
Reluctantly, I thought the same after further analysis. POOR Big East leadership, espn, backstabbers, POOR Big East leadership etc.... now allows acc football from a geographical prespective to make claim of nyc as well with cuse, pitt, bcu and miami vs current big east with UConn, RU and Temple. Doesn't Navy already have a designated bowl?

And cuse is hanging banners in the Yankee Stadium daring the Big East to try and take them down.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
For the first time in history the BE has a geographic advantage when it comes to a bowl game.
You forgot about the Garden State bowl, with its illustrious 2-year history.

Reaction Score
The Steinbrenner's have been interested in making Yankee Stadium a BCS venue since the foundation for the new stadium was being poured. Now that the BCS is going through another round of evolution, that hopefully leads to extinction, that doens't by any means suggest that they wouldn't continue to be interested in the biggest games they can get in the college football post season.

George Steinbrenner was a football man before he became a baseball man, and his family has made a point of making what he always wanted to happen...and that's bring college football back to New York, and specifically to the Bronx, in both regular season and post season play.

The Big East - is the name brand for college athletics - in New York City. We've got basketball to thank for that. We'll need every bit of power that brand name brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom