Big Ten payout in '17/'18....$44.5M | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Big Ten payout in '17/'18....$44.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Your point regarding "announced attendance versus actual attendance" is quite valid. Posting a picture of a game versus B-CU as representative of typical Miami attendance is absurd. All of the Miami attendance issues discussed here are well-documented and long-standing.

I'm having a hard time with this reply because I don't recall saying or implying it was representative of a 'typical' Miami game. But regardless of whether it's 'typical,' anyone should be flat embarrassed by that.

The last two seasons, they reported attendance averages of 53,000 and 47,000 to the NCAA. Since we've established, they're clearly using 'tickets sold' (read: distributed) as their reporting method, then how many people are they actually drawing? I've seen a lot of Miami games over the years, and I know while that picture is more extreme than usual, it's not uncommon to see the stadium half-empty. The reality is that they are not drawing anywhere near the reported figures.

Like I said, I never said that picture is typical of a Miami crowd, but let's not kid ourselves here... the typical Miami crowd isn't very impressive.

Reaction Score
Actually, Miami has some hard-core fans made up of local alum and local fans that never went. The problem is that the student body doesn't always make the trip up 95 to Sun Life Stadium. In fact, many alum that live in the vicinity of the University won't make the trip. It would be a different story if the stadium was on campus, but it's highly unlikely that would ever happen.

Reaction Score
The card-stunt section was phenomenal, even at 72 pixels. (and was the orGANG pun intended? :p)

I wish. No it had more to do with being too lazy to get my reading glasses (coupled with a Russian Standard vodka martini on the rocks). . .

Reaction Score
UF also has the benefit of having a longer history as Florida's land-grant university, whereas FSU began accepting males again in the late 1940s and starting its growth as a major university in the 1950's. FSU is clearly a national brand, but the relationship between FSU and UF is sort of like Michigan State (which is a national brand) and Michigan, at least from where I'm sitting.

I don't see it. MSU is the little brother and always will be. When I was in Michigan you knew anyone wearing a Spartan shirt actually went to school there whereas a skunkbear was 50:50 to be the 'Walmart Wolverine.'

'National brand' connotes that people jump on the band wagon with no affiliation to the school. There are only a few in football, perhaps UCONN is one in bball.

Reaction Score
I don't see it. MSU is the little brother and always will be. When I was in Michigan you knew anyone wearing a Spartan shirt actually went to school there whereas a skunkbear was 50:50 to be the 'Walmart Wolverine.'

'National brand' connotes that people jump on the band wagon with no affiliation to the school. There are only a few in football, perhaps UCONN is one in bball.

In his own very unique way, Joe is right. Michigan is one of the very few intergalactic brands (like Walmart), far outpacing MSU.

michiganflag.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I was trying to imply that Michigan State and FSU were both "little brothers".

"SkunkBear", "MeatChicken". . .it's obvious that Notre Dame fans are completely infatuated with Michigan. A rivalry like this is wasted on internet boards. You should just get a room and join the conference. UConn will be your 16th and best man at the ceremony.

Reaction Score
Is there a dumber collection of human beings on the planet than ACC fans?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Do you guys have such low self esteem and little self worth that your entire identity is built around the perception of a school you might have gone to?

Seriously if you went to Michigan that doesn't make you better than someone who went to Michigan State no matter how many times you post it on message boards.

That you waste so much of your valuable time debating the academic value of athletic conferences where the actual 'student-athletes' are mostly admitted on their ability to play sports is pretty hilarous if you think about it.

Ooooh we are the Big 10 - you have to be a reseach university for your basketball players to play against our basketball players - even though even at frigging Northwestern the coaches tell you not to waste valuable time on a roadtrip actually studying.

Virginia can't hold their nose to play a school in football that isn't in the top 50 in some bogus ranking - but North Carolina's teams are made up of functional illiterates.

Yet half the threads on this board devolve into academic pi**ing matches between people who if they were really as high minded as they would have you believe should really have better things to do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you guys have such low self esteem and little self worth that your entire identity is built around the perception of a school you might have gone to?

Seriously if you went to Michigan that doesn't make you better than someone who went to Michigan State no matter how many times you post it on message boards.

That you waste so much of your valuable time debating the academic value of athletic conferences where the actual 'student-athletes' are mostly admitted on their ability to play sports is pretty hilarous if you think about it.

Ooooh we are the Big 10 - you have to be a reseach university for your basketball players to play against our basketball players - even though even at frigging Northwestern the coaches tell you not to waste valuable time on a roadtrip actually studying.

Virginia can't hold their nose to play a school in football that isn't in the top 50 in some bogus ranking - but North Carolina's teams are made up of functional illiterates.

Yet half the threads on this board devolve into academic pi**ing matches between people who if they were really as high minded as they would have you believe should really have better things to do.

What you say has a ton of merit, but it's not just this board. It''s about every board and every fanbase. Heck, it isn't just limited to athletics... there is a snobby culture out there where people thump their chests about the perception of their university because of what ultimately centers around how selective the admissions are.

I will never understand why sports fans feel the need to worry so much about academic ranking(s) but I also don't understand why so much debate is spent on the subjective rankings in any capacity.

Reaction Score
if you went to Michigan that doesn't make you better than someone who went to Michigan State no matter how many times you post it on message boards..

If you are using this as a specific example from this thread...

There's a back story to "little brother" when it comes to Michigan and Michigan State, and we generally accept their apt reply that we are their "Big Sister". They've kicked our ass in football and we've returned the favor in basketball. I've don't think I've ever belittled Michigan State except when having some fun with them.

Reaction Score
Well NDSU has accomplished more as a football team than UVA ever has, so maybe you have something there. That said I would rather The Cavs join The B1G someday just for the gut wrenching discomfort it will cause you.

UVA is not coming. Virginia Tech is not coming either. But NDSU has build a football juggernaut at the FCS level. Bring them up to FBS and give them a try.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There's a back story to "little brother" when it comes to Michigan and Michigan State, and we generally accept their apt reply that we are their "Big Sister". They've kicked our ass in football and we've returned the favor in basketball. I've don't think I've ever belittled Michigan State except when having some fun with them.

What would ever make you think people taking about realignment on a UConn board care about the relationship between Michigan and Michigan State?

Do you think we are dimwitted and don't understand the relationship between the two schools?

I think the funniest thing I ever read on the Boneyard was that every college student goes to the school with the best academic reputation that they can get accepted to. That is pure unadulterated lunacy.

Reaction Score
I was trying to imply that Michigan State and FSU were both "little brothers".

"SkunkBear", "MeatChicken". . .it's obvious that Notre Dame fans are completely infatuated with Michigan. A rivalry like this is wasted on internet boards. You should just get a room and join the conference. UConn will be your 16th and best man at the ceremony.

You've got a point, MSU actually wins Rose Bowls, they're a BUG strayed from the hive.

Reaction Score
Your point regarding "announced attendance versus actual attendance" is quite valid. Posting a picture of a game versus B-CU as representative of typical Miami attendance is absurd. All of the Miami attendance issues discussed here are well-documented and long-standing.

I agree. It really is understandable that Miami fans would have little to no interest in watching a game against Boston College University. It's about as exciting as watching a game against a SWAC team.

Reaction Score
UVA is not coming. Virginia Teach is not coming either. But NDSU has build a football juggernaut at the FCS level. Bring them up to FBS and give them a try.

I'll wait for UVA thanks.

Reaction Score
What would ever make you think people taking about realignment on a UConn board care about the relationship between Michigan and Michigan State.

The Dantonio - Mike Hart story is on the Big Ten entrance exam. ;)

Reaction Score
You've got a point, MSU actually wins Rose Bowls, they're a BUG strayed from the hive.
Michigan State was not contaminated by the BUG until the 1950s. That and the ties to us have saved the Spartans from becoming nearly as revolting as most of the rest.

Reaction Score
I'll wait for UVA thanks.
The fact that the BeeOneGee could take Rutgers, which historically is among the very small group of worst performing athletics departments in D1, and Maryland, which fiscally makes the Rutgers athletics department seem like a haven for geniuses, has deluded you into thinking everybody is dying to get BUGged. UVA has a very wealthy and healthy athletics department. That combined with the fact that UVA strongly prefers a conference like the ACC, primarily southern schools with many private schools and some smaller state universities, means the BUG really should turn to KU or settle for 14 or maybe make a play for Buffalo.

Buffalo and UConn would sew up the northeast for the mighty unpronounceable 2nd letter/1st number/7th letter and make it the envy of college football and sports generally.

Reaction Score
The fact that the BeeOneGee could take Rutgers, which historically is among the very small group of worst performing athletics departments in D1, and Maryland, which fiscally makes the Rutgers athletics department seem like a haven for geniuses, has deluded you into thinking everybody is dying to get BUGged. UVA has a very wealthy and healthy athletics department. That combined with the fact that UVA strongly prefers a conference like the ACC, primarily southern schools with many private schools and some smaller state universities, means the BUG really should turn to KU or settle for 14 or maybe make a play for Buffalo.

Buffalo and UConn would sew up the northeast for the mighty unpronounceable 2nd letter/1st number/7th letter and make it the envy of college football and sports generally.

33-30
November 9, 2009

Reaction Score
Blah blah blah ... BeeOneGee ...blah blah blah ... BUGged .... blah blah ...BUG ... blah blah blah ... mighty unpronounceable 2nd letter/1st number/7th letter ... blah blah blah

You're pretty hung up on this. Interesting.

Reaction Score
The BUG is the French Army of college football and should be swatted at every opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom