BIG leading P5 conference discussions around auto freshmen ineligibility to compete | The Boneyard

BIG leading P5 conference discussions around auto freshmen ineligibility to compete

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
and the odds that Kentucky and the SEC vote for this is less than 1%

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Why only men's bball and football? Other sports have intensive, year-round commitments as well. The only way the logic makes any sense is if you expand the rule to all athletes. That is impossibly expensive as you're essentially increasing your scholarship costs across the board by almost 25%. It's a dumb rule either way. For football, the only thing the athlete would not be doing is suiting up on gameday and/or traveling to road games, right? Redshirts go to every practice, film session and team meeting if I'm not mistaken.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Why only men's bball and football? Other sports have intensive, year-round commitments as well. The only way the logic makes any sense is if you expand the rule to all athletes. That is impossibly expensive as you're essentially increasing your scholarship costs across the board by almost 25%. It's a dumb rule either way. For football, the only thing the athlete would not be doing is suiting up on gameday and/or traveling to road games, right? Redshirts go to every practice, film session and team meeting if I'm not mistaken.
Interesting point, how will the increased cost of scholarships push smaller schools further out of play? The students may not stay as long, more may leave early, but it will cost the schools. The school can use some of that TV money to fund it, and look good in the press for an academic and student care perspective. The schools without the P5 TV contracts are not going to be able to compete on that scale either.

Reaction Score
So how was it managed prior because this used to be the rule, freshman eligibility started in the early seventies after the Marshall tragedy, then the rule was removed. I think wth the 3 year rule that this is unessessary.

Reaction Score
make an entire class ineligible and, well, how could they possibly survive w/current 85 scholly limit?

Reaction Score
I don't know if I'm interpreting this correctly or not, but what if the P5 adopted this and the G5 made it optional (same with full cost of attending scholarships)?

That would be an unbelievable recruiting advantage for UConn football and basketball....

Reaction Score
It could, but it would turn us in to glorified jucos as it would take them a week to determine kids could transfer from a G5 to a P5 program w/o having to sit out a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom