Big East was close to signing Navy and Airforce was in play | The Boneyard

Big East was close to signing Navy and Airforce was in play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
McMurphyCBSBrett McMurphy

Sources tell @CBSSports Big East close to adding Navy before Pitt, SU suddenly left. Air Force also was in play http://Post original url/qbGcLA

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Sooo let me get this straight... the Big 12 is on the verge of collapsing... and the yahoos in charge in Providence are trying to add Navy and Air Force??? How does that make sense?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't think they are using the common definition of, "close." Sounds like someone at the league office backfilling.

Reaction Score
I would argue that the Big 12 is on the verge of being saved and the rest of you are supposed to be happy that the Big East was being "proactive" and having a "backup plan" or is that not what you want or does anyone really know what they want? At least be honest. there is nothing Providence could do that would make many of you happy.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't think they are using the common definition of, "close." Sounds like someone at the league office backfilling.
Like we are as close to the next galaxy vs. other all the other galaxies. Man this is now going into the ridiculous.

If this were the case Pitt and Cuse wouldn't have bailed. I don't buy it.

Reaction Score
I would argue that the Big 12 is on the verge of being saved and the rest of you are supposed to be happy that the Big East was being "proactive" and having a "backup plan" or is that not what you want or does anyone really know what they want? At least be honest. there is nothing Providence could do that would make many of you happy.

I'm not sure that's true, but it doesn't involve Air Force or Navy

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
This was BEFORE Pitt and SU left... BEFORE.... they were trying to pick up schools that wouldn't intimidate the basketball schools is what they were doing.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Navy would have been a good get.
No argument here. But if this was an ongoing process, it really makes me question what pushed Pitt and Cuse out the door.

Reaction Score
i would have been real happy at 10 members with the add of Navy (not air force tho). I think that would have been fine to ride out and if our TV contract came through in a big way the Big East could have been a major player. Spilt milk at this point i suppose.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
No argument here. But if this was an ongoing process, it really makes me question what pushed Pitt and Cuse out the door.
A good get how? They aren't bringing any sports except Football... they play their other sports in the Patriot League... it was a capitulation move for the basketball schools. It was just maintaining the status quo...

I've never been that big of a critic of the Big East management, but with teams like Missouri, Kansas, and Kansas State in the cards... you decide Air Force and Navy are the best options?

Reaction Score
You think Navy isn't a similar program over the last five years to Kansas and Kansas State? You don't think there are any advantages to a team 30 miles from DC as opposed to the plains? You don't think Navy has some cachet being a military institution? And you think we needed more schools for anything other than football?

I agree with the prior poster. There is nothing the Big East office could do that wouldn't cause half this board to automatically be opposed before they even thought about it.

Reaction Score
Oh holy christ, I can't take these inept baffoons any longer. I'm certain that you couldn't run the damn plane into the ground any quicker than those knuckleheads in Providence. Nobody could have seen the extent of these changes, but good god, changes in the college athletics landscape aren't completely unusual, especailly after the BE got TCU. The piss poor management at the BE is even worse the the piss poor production of our quaterback position this year.

I don't care if it was joe the rag man filing old paperwork, it's a further indictment of the BE ineptitude that they'd let that get out. That's not something you want exposed because in what universe is Navy and Air Force a good pick-up? What is Dee Dowis still the QB at Air Force and is Fisher DeBerry still coaching there, good god....next we'll be hearing the BE approached the school that signed on Gus the kicking mule in that Disney movie from the 70's only to be rebuffed becasue the BE didn't know that it wasn't a real school. I don't care if the top man is a dope, jsut be smart enough to surround him with enough smart folks so that he's not allowed to run with scissors in his hands.

Reaction Score
You think Navy isn't a similar program over the last five years to Kansas and Kansas State? You don't think there are any advantages to a team 30 miles from DC as opposed to the plains? You don't think Navy has some cachet being a military institution? And you think we needed more schools for anything other than football?

I agree with the prior poster. There is nothing the Big East office could do that wouldn't cause half this board to automatically be opposed before they even thought about it.

Maybe true. But as good of a Program that Navy is, it just shows the weak hand that we had as a conference. If we land in the ACC, i will hate the demise of the Big East. But i'll get over it and be happy to finally be secure in a stable environment.

Reaction Score

No

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

So you don't think Kansas and Kansas State as a full sports member brings more to the table than football only Navy and Air Force? That this might have been one more thing that might have caused 'Cuse and Pitt to question the motives of the management?

Reaction Score
Imind...i do believe that the BE was trying get Navy on board before the near collapse of the Big 12

Reaction Score
My god, if we knew and we didn't bolt, then I'd be pissed. Navy? Are you f'g serious? Why not Nova, Army, and UNH and officially lock down the east coast. what other conference in their expansion dreams is saying, man if we could get Navy ..... This is stuipid, period, and proof positive that the BE is and always will be made up of small minded BB types. Good grief.

Using BizLaw's logic, adding Georgetown would be a coup. Why not Nova or Temple to lock down Philly? UMass for Boston? And Fordham for NYC? And, heck, throw in FIU to increase our FL footprint? I respect Navy for what they have done, but how does this keep in you the national discussion as a power conference? We never needed a 10th team, we needed national respect as a power conference and this, boys, ain't the answer. Count me in the 1/2 who think the BE is run by folks who, shall we say, time has passed.

Reaction Score

BL I typically look at you as presenting pretty cogent arguments, but I think that you're off base here. I'd take KU and KSU in a second because you can't look at just football (I know it's driving the train...but there are other cars following the engine). If we think athletically that KU and KSU aren't better fit with UCONN than Navy and Air Force, we are nuts. Geographically, Navy is the only one that you could make a case for and Navy's not delivering the DC metro market, not happening. I'm sure that someone can go back into the nielsen books and find ratings for the DC spot market and find the ratings for a Navy football game and compare it with a Maryland or UVA game and I'd be surprised if Navy delivered more household (Army/Navy & ND/Navy excluded). There's some cachet to the service academies, likely not as much as you think and likely more than I think and I think that cachet comes from a certain segment of the population.

Academics at the academies is top notch for sure, but this isn't being driven by the schools with the best chemistry or economics departments...yes the presidents are looking to do the best thing for the university as a whole, but football and the conferences and dollars in play from rights agreements are driving this train...good, bad or indifferent.

Reaction Score

Navy similar to Kansas? In what way? Has someone hijacked your account? If there was some great advantage automatically acrued by being 30 miles from DC, when was the last time you heard a discussion of college athletics where Navy was a prominent topic or considered a major player?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Sooo let me get this straight... the Big 12 is on the verge of collapsing... and the yahoos in charge in Providence are trying to add Navy and Air Force??? How does that make sense?
The Merchant Marine Academy wasn't available. :eek:

Reaction Score
KU isnt coming to the Big East and neither is KState. What part of contingency do you people not understand? Big 12 stays together who do you grab. Navy is a good choice. we dont need more basketball schools we need football schools. Guess what team the bowls want more than any Big East team not named Pitt or WVU? Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom