Big East wants Bowl for champion | The Boneyard

Big East wants Bowl for champion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like the divisional concept, although im hoping our "zipper" is Rutgers and not Temple.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The zipper is a bad idea. I personally think they should go to 16 for football with a western pod.

The bowl game in Florida is another indication that the Big East is going with NBC. The only way the Big East could form a new bowl game is if NBC was behind it.

The Orange currently has no TV partner and likely only 1 bidder unless it does a deal with the Big East. I think the Orange blinks on its war with the Big East, takes the Big East as the opponent, and signs with NBC. It is the smart move for the ACC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Like the idea of FLA bowl though.

Reaction Score
so Boise State and San Diego are natural rivals now? anyone that puts that in an article deserves to be ignored

Reaction Score
"As opposed to an East-West Divisional format, momentum in the Big East is for a "zipper concept" splitting natural rivals like Boise State and San Diego State and Houston and SMU, who would then play each year in a potential 6-1-1 format, sources said."

So, I'm not sure I get this. Would Boise play SD, H and SMU twice a year and then one game against 2 teams from the "East"? Never heard of a "Zipper Concept" - is that what they are talking about?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
6 division games, 1 annual rival, and 1 rotating game from the other division.

Does this mean, if Boise is not in your division and not your rival, then you will play them once every six years or once every 12 years at home???

A 14 team conference needs a 9 game schedule (6-1-2). A 12 team conference can go (5-1-2) or if rivals are in the same division (5-3).

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
With a "zipper" format, you have pairs of rival schools in opposite divisions. Each school plays all the other schools in its division and its rival once every year. Then they would add one rotating crossover game beyond that. This was the format that the Pac 12 was considering since their schools pair off well as rivals (Oregon-OSU, Cal-Stanford, USC-UCLA, Arizona ASU, etc.) but they went with north-south instead.

Reaction Score
When is Navy coming in again? When they join, the league will have 13 football members. That is not managable. Has to be plans for expansion/contraction in the works.

Reaction Score
How do you play 6 division games if there are 6 teams in each division? Do you play one team twice?

junglehusky

Reaction Score
There haven't been too many new rumors but as of a few months ago, Air Force and BYU were the main targets (rumored). So the rivalries could be:

UConn-Rutgers
USF-UCF
Louisville-Cinci
SMU-Houston
Boise-SDSU
Navy-Air Force (or BYU)
which would leave
Memphis-Temple

junglehusky

Reaction Score
How do you play 6 division games if there are 6 teams in each division? Do you play one team twice?
this is based on going to 14, so 7 teams/division -->6 games

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
this is based on going to 14, so 7 teams/division -->6 games

So who's 14? If it's Villanova I'm done with this......

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Why make everything so friggin' complicated? Just go with an East-West split. Play the other division on a rotating basis. One would like to assume that the league has its eye on a 14th team to make 2 7-team divisions, but this is the Big East, so they might well be looking to bring in Xavier as a basketball only instead. Depending on who the 14th team is, you add it to the East or if tis Air Force or BYU to the West and flip Memphis to the East. If its Air Force, Navy won't want to play them to end the year...they won't want to have to play both rivals back to back. You want to develop some tradition and some rivalries in this monstrosity. And build on the ones that are already here, even if they have modest history (UConn-Rutgirls for example). Trying to make a big deal out of these "cross divisional rivalries" is usually just dumb unless they are already in place (How many have BC-Clemson circled on the calender?) But if everyone feel that the only way for this to work is to have such a thing, I would want Cincinatti or Louisville as our cross-divisional game. I want Rutgers to have Bosie State.

East: Connecticut, Rutgers, Temple, Navy, South Florida, Central Florida,Univ of Guess Who
West: Bosie, San Diego, Houston, SMU, Louisville, Cincinatti, Memphis
Play everyone in your division. Play 1 team from the other division home, one team away. That's 8 games, more or less regional competition against teams you care about or could care about. And it makes sense. Most of these conference divisions are utterly meaningless and nobody can keep track of who is in the coastal and who's a Leader. Just Call them East and West. Forget about the Tranghese Division and the Marinatto Division, please. End the season with UConn-Rutgers, Boise-San Diego, USF-UCF, Louisville-Cincinatti, Houston-SMU, Navy-Temple. Memphis is on its own for the moment. Or they could play Guess Who, which would be their cross divisional rival. Make those into important games to the extent you can and hope that a couple of them are for the Divisional titles each season. And that it snows in East Hartford when UConn and Rutgers play there. Nothing more dramatic than a big game in the snow! I don't know why. It just is.

Reaction Score
We get screwed in the zipper concept. There is no way that RU isn't going to play both us and Temple every year. So that means that RU and us (or Temple) are in the same division, and then RU plays Temple (or us) as its fixed rival from the other side. And we would play Memphis every year and Temple one out of six. So we have a conference with two drivable road opponents, and one of them we'd only play away once every dozen years.

East -- West alignment, please god.

Reaction Score
We get screwed in the zipper concept. There is no way that RU isn't going to play both us and Temple every year. So that means that RU and us (or Temple) are in the same division, and then RU plays Temple (or us) as its fixed rival from the other side. And we would play Memphis every year and Temple one out of six. So we have a conference with two drivable road opponents, and one of them we'd only play away once every dozen years.

As long as the eight-game conference schedule in maintained. It leaves real opportunities for meaningful and important OOC games.

Reaction Score
i thought the whole point of adding so many western teams was to create a western division and lessen travel for those teams. a zipper alignment would be about the most idiotic idea they could come up with....so i fully expect them to do it

Reaction Score

Right. I just don't know why everything connected with this league is always so damned complicated...this league falls out as East-West almost better than any other. Why is it so difficult to take advantage of that? You have potential natural rivalries, especially in the East, and they don't want to take advantage of those...Oy!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
east- uconn, rutgers, temple, usf, ucf, cincy, lville, navy, ecu
west-memphis, uh, smu, sdsu, bsu, , byu, fresno, unr

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
-it gives us 18, kills off any other conf trying to get to our level
-we can play division plus a cross rival for 9 game schedule aka with the" power 5" ooc schedule wise a bit
- time zones + nbc
-overhaul the bowl bids we have. get 1 in cali, 1 in vegas, 1 in nyc, 1 in philly, 1 in texas, i in fl......

pj

Reaction Score
east- uconn, rutgers, temple, usf, ucf, cincy, lville, navy, ecu
west-memphis, uh, smu, sdsu, bsu, , byu, fresno, unr

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
-it gives us 18, kills off any other conf trying to get to our level
-we can play division plus a cross rival for 9 game schedule aka with the" power 5" ooc schedule wise a bit
- time zones + nbc
-overhaul the bowl bids we have. get 1 in cali, 1 in vegas, 1 in nyc, 1 in philly, 1 in texas, i in fl......

Drop ECU and Fresno or Nevada and I like it ... maybe drop both and get Southern Miss or Tulsa as a rival for Memphis. A 16 team conference would need ~9 bowl affiliations, so definitely should be able to get a bowl in all those places.

Reaction Score

how about a north-south...

North: Uconn/Temple/Boise/Rutgers/Navy/Cincy/Air Force/BYU
South: SDSU/SMU/Houston/UCF/USF/Louisville/Memphis/UNLV

Reaction Score
Drop ECU and Fresno or Nevada and I like it ... maybe drop both and get Southern Miss or Tulsa as a rival for Memphis. A 16 team conference would need ~9 bowl affiliations, so definitely should be able to get a bowl in all those places.
"18" is too big. Making the schedule fair, unless their are no "cross-overs," would reduce OOC opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom