Big East for basketball? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East for basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me why joining the Big East (again) would be bad? I don't want a sarcastic answer, I really want to know. This is what I do know, or think I know:

1) I'm not aware of any P5 invitations that are pending or likely. This would obviously be the best result.
2) The AAC is in a tenuous spot because some of its best teams are ripe for raiding--Houston, Memphis and Cincinnati all have decent to good football programs at the moment, and the latter two have historically good hoops programs too (even Houston has Phi Slamma Jamma). Without tracking every rumor, it does seem like two or three of those would be better geographic and athletic fits in the conferences that are most likely to expand. UConn being left in a raided AAC is not viable.
3) The Big East has no football, so you'd have to find a home for that sport or go independent. The rest of the Big East (after Nova) is not as bad as some make it out to be. Seton Hall has improved, Marquette can be good, Butler has been very good over the last decade, Xavier has been good recently, etc. The Big East would be a great home for UConn hoops--back to MSG, regional games (as opposed to our crazy AAC travel schedule), revisiting some old rivalries, etc.

I know P5 is the dream. But it doesn't seem realistic. If it were me, I'd be looking hard at the Big East. Why am I wrong?

There would certainly be (at least short-term) benefits to joining the Big East. It is undoubtedly a superior basketball conference to the American and through three years has represented itself to be on par with other power conferences. More than that, though, is it would greatly enhance viewer experience. It's more fun playing a St. Johns team that sucks at Madison Square Garden than a bad Tulane team in front of 2,000 people. Playing Providence when they are good is a ton of fun. If Seton Hall continues to be good, that'll turn into an intense rivalry. 'Nova and Georgetown speak for themselves. Butler and Xavier have been nationally relevant for a long time. If the league adds UConn and no one else, it's plausible that the double round robin could be maintained, which, as a fan, is awesome.

On the other hand, nobody in the conference has a ton of juice nationally. TV ratings are bad in part because they play on FOX, but even on ESPN, they would lag well behind the other power conferences. They can't fill MSG for their conference tournament with small catholic schools, half of which are from the midwest. Obviously, from a revenue standpoint, they're not near the other leagues.

It makes sense for UConn to remain in the American if no other options present themselves. How much longer it will make sense, I don't know. If we could somehow rake in the TV dollars by joining the B12 as a football-only (I doubt this is likely, but crazier things have been proposed) while docking all our other sports in the Big East, that would be far from the worst outcome.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I live in B12 country. There is no way the administrations or fanbases of any B12 school want to add a weak football program that some of their teams will have to travel 2,000+ miles to play, sometimes during winter weather conditions. And all because some geniuses playing with probability numbers have figured out you've got better odds of making the playoff with more teams? I could have saved the B12 however many millions they paid for that easy answer. Most college presidents ought to be able to figure that one out on their own without conducting and paying for a study. My B12 alum friends are doubled over with laughter at this suggestion.

But you are leaving out the most important part, the driving force behind all of this. TV markets. The P5 want more eyeballs and expanded TV markets. This lead the B1G to add a dumpster fire like Rutgers, in an attempt to get the NY TV market on board. That's almost all that matters. The powers that be don't care about the kids, or the logistics, or much else, other than that big fat TV deal check (vis a vis expanding their brand).

Reaction Score
UMass was bounced because they were football-only, they suck at football, and they have no fans, and the league had an uneven number. The MAC let Temple be football-only for years.
UMass has the option if staying but they choose to keep their BB in the A10
Temple and UConn were both FB only's years ago , maybe the MAC got tired of being a dumping ground. see below
"In February, MAC league presidents enacted a clause that started a clock on UMass' membership. According to the clause, UMass could either accept full membership in the MAC or serve only two additional years as a football-only member."

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me why joining the Big East (again) would be bad? I don't want a sarcastic answer, I really want to know. This is what I do know, or think I know:

1) I'm not aware of any P5 invitations that are pending or likely. This would obviously be the best result.
2) The AAC is in a tenuous spot because some of its best teams are ripe for raiding--Houston, Memphis and Cincinnati all have decent to good football programs at the moment, and the latter two have historically good hoops programs too (even Houston has Phi Slamma Jamma). Without tracking every rumor, it does seem like two or three of those would be better geographic and athletic fits in the conferences that are most likely to expand. UConn being left in a raided AAC is not viable.
3) The Big East has no football, so you'd have to find a home for that sport or go independent. The rest of the Big East (after Nova) is not as bad as some make it out to be. Seton Hall has improved, Marquette can be good, Butler has been very good over the last decade, Xavier has been good recently, etc. The Big East would be a great home for UConn hoops--back to MSG, regional games (as opposed to our crazy AAC travel schedule), revisiting some old rivalries, etc.

I know P5 is the dream. But it doesn't seem realistic. If it were me, I'd be looking hard at the Big East. Why am I wrong?
You're wrong because the people in control conference realignment care about nothing but money, and the way the P5 maximizes their money in basketball is to break off and create their own version of the NCAA tournament. When that happens, whether it is in 20 years, or 30 years, or 40 years, every non P5 school is totally . That's why all these schools fight like it's life or death during each round of realignment. In terms of high level college athletics, it is life or death. Every Big East school is just playing out the string of years until they are irrelevant.

Reaction Score
I don't see a P5 invite as realistic, so all we have is basketball. Which means the Big East is the best option. If I were more optimistic, I'd think differently. I have very little concern about a P5 split for a basketball tournament, because college football's time is limited. In 20 or 30 years it's over, the medical studies will get worse and worse, and youth football will dry up.

Reaction Score
I don't see a P5 invite as realistic, so all we have is basketball. Which means the Big East is the best option. If I were more optimistic, I'd think differently. I have very little concern about a P5 split for a basketball tournament, because college football's time is limited. In 20 or 30 years it's over, the medical studies will get worse and worse, and youth football will dry up.
So you think the fact that football money may dry up will make it less likely that the P5 try to maximize basketball revenue?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
But you are leaving out the most important part, the driving force behind all of this. TV markets. The P5 want more eyeballs and expanded TV markets. This lead the B1G to add a dumpster fire like Rutgers, in an attempt to get the NY TV market on board. That's almost all that matters. The powers that be don't care about the kids, or the logistics, or much else, other than that big fat TV deal check (vis a vis expanding their brand).

Agreed, but the value of any given school for conference network purposes is what kind of content they can deliver to it which adds value. We have an attractive media market which would put the Big 12 in the metro NE corridor, but football alone won't move the needle when we are perceived as weak in that sport. The B12 will either pass on UConn altogether (too far away, not enough demographics, lousy football, whatever) or they will invite us for all sports.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Agreed, but the value of any given school for conference network purposes is what kind of content they can deliver to it which adds value. We have an attractive media market which would put the Big 12 in the metro NE corridor, but football alone won't move the needle when we are perceived as weak in that sport. The B12 will either pass on UConn altogether (too far away, not enough demographics, lousy football, whatever) or they will invite us for all sports.

Definitely agree on that last bit. Zero chance of a football only invite anywhere decent.

Reaction Score
So you think the fact that football money may dry up will make it less likely that the P5 try to maximize basketball revenue?
If football dries up, then the Big East is a fine place to be.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Really

Why would you guys want to play in a league you teams that screwed you over before ?
I have no interest in playing any of those teams

Who screwed us over in the BE? Providence maybe, by way of commissioner.

Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, et al were the ones who screwed us.

Reaction Score
BC was the worst of the ones who screwed us. I blame BC and ND for much of the mess.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
BC was the worst of the ones who screwed us. I blame BC and ND for much of the mess.

BC yes, I should not have left them out; I take solace in the fact that they are now perennial bottom feeders and a punchline of a program. For me, Pitt was also the worst, as they held up the vote to lock in everybody...and then bolted.

ND was just doing what ND does. I can't hate them for it. I hate them for other things, but not for that. The Big East knew what they were getting with ND when they got into bed with them. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
Really

Why would you guys want to play in a league you teams that screwed you over before ?
I have no interest in playing any of those teams

Your right, i'd rather be in a conference where the majority of its members cant wait to get out and play a bunch of non exciting teams all over the country with no real tradition or any rivalries to speak of.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12

Benedict said an intact American Conference is still a viable alternative should the Huskies be passed over by the Power Five. But he said the idea that UConn would consider rejoining the Big East for sports other than football is not currently on the table.

''Everybody is jockeying for position,'' he said. ''Part of my role and responsibility is making sure we're looking at all options, keeping all options open to make sure we put ourselves as a university and an athletics program in the best possible position to compete.''

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12

Benedict said an intact American Conference is still a viable alternative should the Huskies be passed over by the Power Five. But he said the idea that UConn would consider rejoining the Big East for sports other than football is not currently on the table.

''Everybody is jockeying for position,'' he said. ''Part of my role and responsibility is making sure we're looking at all options, keeping all options open to make sure we put ourselves as a university and an athletics program in the best possible position to compete.''

Thank you very much, Mr. Benedict. Now, can we please put this UCONN to the Big East for BB nonsense finally to rest?

Reaction Score
Does he really think the AAC is a viable option if the Big 12 doesn't work out? Houston, BYU, and Cincy are the 3 locks for Big 12. UConn is in the lead for the fourth spot but Colorado State is right behind, with Memphis as an outlier. But the AAC without Cincy and Houston is a complete joke. Our basketball program would definitely fall off over time if we're stuck in the AAC. I can't help but think Benedict/Herbst have a backup plan if the Big 12 does not invite us.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Plan B: nuke Rutgers and apply for their vacated spot in the B1G

Reaction Score
Does he really think the AAC is a viable option if the Big 12 doesn't work out? Houston, BYU, and Cincy are the 3 locks for Big 12. UConn is in the lead for the fourth spot but Colorado State is right behind, with Memphis as an outlier. But the AAC without Cincy and Houston is a complete joke. Our basketball program would definitely fall off over time if we're stuck in the AAC. I can't help but think Benedict/Herbst have a backup plan if the Big 12 does not invite us.

Sad are the days where we are hoping to keep cinncy and Houston to keep our conference viable

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yep. And sad that we are in a conference we are racing them to escape to escape.

Reaction Score
Sad are the days where we are hoping to keep cinncy and Houston to keep our conference viable
Houston does little for BB very easily replaced ,football is where they will be missed
Cinncy is a triple whammy , good BB ,good FB, and an old BE rival they would be sorely missed.
If UConn emerges ,and SMU steps up its game in football, that would negate the Houston loss. aUConn the most important football team to the success of the conference
Even more significant than Houston
Houston Could go unfeated in the AAC and it's still hardly moves the needle in Texas.
A winner program in the Northeast will bring significant media attention.
Especially if we schedule and beat some P5 teams
Cinncy actually doesn't kill BB but somebody has to step up
add Wichta Stste as a partial with the a 5 year plan to get to FSB and
Should be there every year
UConn
Temple
Memphis
Wichita State
Then occasional decent
Then Tulsa
SMU ( hope their new coach can rebuild in the wake of Brown
At least one of the following has to put on big boy pants
ECU ( I actually am predicting the are going to be one of best
They actually support their team an BB is huge in NC
UCF
USF
Tulane
Not a great league but not a bad BB keague, Its between a 3-5 team league

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've officially forgiven the FC7 for their transgressions against us.
Thst doesn't mean I want a relationship with them.
Just another OC game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger