Big East for basketball? | The Boneyard

Big East for basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
although i think this was meant to be a positive development, the author seems to knock uconn/ollie every chance they get.

Reaction Score
although i think this was meant to be a positive development, the author seems to knock uconn/ollie every chance they get.

Joel D is a Cleveland, Xavier guy who seems like a real in this article. He touches on all the potential negatives involved with UConn's brand while not talking too much about all the positives like championships ve the rest of the BE. That's a win right there.

Reaction Score
Stupid title "making eyes." The "source" didn't indicate that UConn has any interest, just that the New Big East is interested in the concept.

Only way it would ever conceivably happen is if the Big 12 didn't want UConn basketball in its conference, which would be beyond asinine. The Big 12 right now is a top 3 basketball conference. The New Big East is Villanova and leftovers. It's arguable as to which conference we fit in with better as a school (we would be fringe as far as being a big state public in NBE, geographical fringe in B12)

Reaction Score
If the AAC is poached and Memphis, Cincinatti, and Houston/UCF/etc. is gone we should be groveling back to the Big East for basketball and go to the MAC or Conference USA for football if the AAC didn't like it. And this is coming from someone who has played and coached football for as long as I've been alive and really only got into basketball once I went to UConn

Reaction Score
If the AAC is poached and Memphis, Cincinatti, and Houston/UCF/etc. is gone we should be groveling back to the Big East for basketball and go to the MAC or Conference USA for football if the AAC didn't like it. And this is coming from someone who has played and coached football for as long as I've been alive and really only got into basketball once I went to UConn
First of all the MAC only considers all sports members.
That's why UMass was bounced . You want you BB team in the MAC?
Football is FCS if you go back to that conference
In other words it's over .
That is an ultimate death sentence for UConn sports

Reaction Score
Football is FCS if you go back to that conference
In other words it's over .
That is an ultimate death sentence for UConn sports

The AAC getting raided and UConn being left out is already a death sentence.

Reaction Score
Being in the AAC is like sitting on deathrow, you throw out a few pleas, someone may hear your cries but ultimately theres nothing you can do.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Will somebody please tie Andy Katz up and lock that idiot in a closet? Let's stop his insanity.

No P5 conference is going to invite UConn as a football only member. Taking only our worst major sport would be insanity on their part.

Reaction Score
Will somebody please tie Andy Katz up and lock that idiot in a closet? Let's stop his insanity.

No P5 conference is going to invite UConn as a football only member. Taking only our worst major sport would be insanity on their part.
I like Andy Katz. Pretty sure he's a closet UConn fan. Seen him at many games with out ESPN and his daughter sung the national anthem at Gampel

Reaction Score

Don't think you quite understand. The Big 12 has a better chance at the College Football Playoff no matter who the expanded teams are. All that matters is that there's more teams.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Don't think you quite understand. The Big 12 has a better chance at the College Football Playoff no matter who the expanded teams are. All that matters is that there's more teams.

I live in B12 country. There is no way the administrations or fanbases of any B12 school want to add a weak football program that some of their teams will have to travel 2,000+ miles to play, sometimes during winter weather conditions. And all because some geniuses playing with probability numbers have figured out you've got better odds of making the playoff with more teams? I could have saved the B12 however many millions they paid for that easy answer. Most college presidents ought to be able to figure that one out on their own without conducting and paying for a study. My B12 alum friends are doubled over with laughter at this suggestion.

Reaction Score
The AAC getting raided and UConn being left out is already a death sentence.
Honestly, if this happened, UConn better go down guns blazing. If done correctly, it could be more enjoyable than a Big 12 invite. I kid, sort of.

Reaction Score
Honestly, if this happened, UConn better go down guns blazing. If done correctly, it could be more enjoyable than a Big 12 invite. I kid, sort of.

Uconn's already proven they are reactionary instead of proactive in conference realignment and i dont even see them at this point trying to sell themselves outside of putting an article in a texas paper

Reaction Score
Please stop crying for a return to Big East basketball. The future of college sports is the P5 conferences. As for football, put UConn in. a major conference and recruiting improves and before long they are on the same trajectory they were on in the Old Big East, when it was a major player in college football.

Reaction Score
Uconn's already proven they are reactionary instead of proactive in conference realignment and i dont even see them at this point trying to sell themselves outside of putting an article in a texas paper
lol

Reaction Score

UMass was bounced because they were football-only, they suck at football, and they have no fans, and the league had an uneven number. The MAC let Temple be football-only for years.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me why joining the Big East (again) would be bad? I don't want a sarcastic answer, I really want to know. This is what I do know, or think I know:

1) I'm not aware of any P5 invitations that are pending or likely. This would obviously be the best result.
2) The AAC is in a tenuous spot because some of its best teams are ripe for raiding--Houston, Memphis and Cincinnati all have decent to good football programs at the moment, and the latter two have historically good hoops programs too (even Houston has Phi Slamma Jamma). Without tracking every rumor, it does seem like two or three of those would be better geographic and athletic fits in the conferences that are most likely to expand. UConn being left in a raided AAC is not viable.
3) The Big East has no football, so you'd have to find a home for that sport or go independent. The rest of the Big East (after Nova) is not as bad as some make it out to be. Seton Hall has improved, Marquette can be good, Butler has been very good over the last decade, Xavier has been good recently, etc. The Big East would be a great home for UConn hoops--back to MSG, regional games (as opposed to our crazy AAC travel schedule), revisiting some old rivalries, etc.

I know P5 is the dream. But it doesn't seem realistic. If it were me, I'd be looking hard at the Big East. Why am I wrong?

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
If Cincy, Memphis, Houston, or USF are poached from the AAC without us, the "going back to the big east is a dumb idea" people would no longer have ground to stand on. We would still hold out for a P5 invite, but remaining in a conference with Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, ECU, UCF, and Temple is bigger suicide than joining the BE and placing football somewhere else temporarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom