Big East basketball on FoxSports | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Big East basketball on FoxSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2/3's is about right as far fannies in seats go for the Sunday game. It was even worse for the 1st game. The thing is all of those empty seats in the upper end zone are student seats that they count as sold for announced attendance purposes, I believe.

You believe? then how do you explain 8k sold for the 2nd game? That's less than season tickets.

When the camera panned across Gampel, the last rows in the upper levels on all sides were taken.

Regardless, the number was higher than in 2008-9, and neither game was a sellout.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You believe? then how do you explain 8k sold for the 2nd game? That's less than season tickets.

When the camera panned across Gampel, the last rows in the upper levels on all sides were taken.

Regardless, the number was higher than in 2008-9, and neither game was a sellout.

Hey you were in the building morons what do you know. Someone saw on TV!

Reaction Score

He was in the building? Oh, he didn't say that. Was he in the building?

Perhaps you are confusing him with Nelson. I see you are a big fan of Nelson. Good for you.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

You know what I saw on TV? The deteriorating roof. It is no longer just pock marked. Whole triangles are ripping from the ceiling. It may still be structurally sound (barely), but aesthetically, it's quite displeasing to the eye.

As far as in-arena attendance goes, it is getting less and less important. A more important number is the overnight TV ratings. Obviously, the school and onlooking conferences don't want to see a half filled arena, but as long as the game is not blacked out, they will give some leeway because people are watching at home, which means more advertising revenue for a conference network. It's an ongoing battle, but with the affordability of 50+" HD TV's and cheap store bought food, it makes almost zero sense to go up to Hartford or Storrs deal with traffic, parking, $9 Miller Lite that tastes funny (at HCC) and sit 150 ft. from the nearest corner of the court.

Officially, Gampel was over 90% filled (9,195), which is probably a better representation of total tickets distributed.

Better question...Why was the game scheduled for early Sunday Afternoon during the NFL season?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah watching games around the country the past few weeks there are a lot of empty buildings. Texas Tech played in front of what looked like a crowd in the hundreds a few nights ago.

The famed Cameron Crazies must have overslept for ECU.

Hopefully UConn wises up soon and realizes that people aren't spending $30 to see Maine from the second deck of the XL center. Those days are gone - too much competition.

Reaction Score
Everyone in almost every sport is suffering from attendance woes. part of it is that there are just too many options. People only go to event games. Even the Boston Red Sox averaged 3000 fewer fans this past season (excluding post season) than last year. It is a combination of cost, improved quality of the tv coverage, over saturation of tv games (heck on ESPN alone the there are 3-4 options), just flick the clicker if one is a blowout. And as someone posted, nobody is going to pay $30 to watch UConn blow out Maine or Fairfield or ECU for that matter. then throw away any semblance of regional rivalries because you aren't going to Dallas on a Wednesday night to watch SMU, nor are there 3 fans traveling to Hartford mid-week. Gone are the days of driving to Providence or Boston or grabbing the train from New Haven to the Garden to play the Johnnies. now those teams stink, so it might not be worth the trip anyway, but so do SMU and Houston and ECU but you can't easily get there.

Reaction Score
Better question...Why was the game scheduled for early Sunday Afternoon during the NFL season?

They've always done a few of those games.

They must have also looked at the schedule. Only the Jets were playing of the 3 area teams. But they were AT Buffalo. New England and the Giants were late games.

Husky25

Reaction Score
They've always done a few of those games.

They must have also looked at the schedule. Only the Jets were playing of the 3 area teams. But they were AT Buffalo. New England and the Giants were late games.

DirecTV, fantasy football, and any game you want is available on the Internet. If I know where to look, surely a 20 year old does.

When I lived on campus, we didn't go to brunch until 12:00. The tip for 1:00 games was in doubt...Poor planning.

Reaction Score
DirecTV, fantasy football, and any game you want is available on the Internet. If I know where to look, surely a 20 year old does.

When I lived on campus, we didn't go to brunch until 12:00. The tip for 1:00 games was in doubt...Poor planning.

They could watch the games in their seats then. Plus, NFL doesn't start until 1:05.

Husky25

Reaction Score
They could watch the games in their seats then. Plus, NFL doesn't start until 1:05.
So you'd be okay with a packed hour until halftime and then an exodus? It was really a harmless question (Thanks for the back and forth), but it does illustrate the over saturation Scooter referred to above. We had Cox cable, dial up modem, and mainframe access when I graduated College. We thought we were living like kings. I had my own 13 inch tube, but we brought in my buddy's fancy 24 incher for the '99 Final 4. It was like a big screen compared to mine. Now, a 24" HD monitor is standard issue, with whatever you want at your finger tips.

Reaction Score
So you'd be okay with a packed hour until halftime and then an exodus? It was really a harmless question (Thanks for the back and forth), but it does illustrate the over saturation Scooter referred to above. We had Cox cable, dial up modem, and mainframe access when I graduated College. We thought we were living like kings. I had my own 13 inch tube, but we brought in my buddy's fancy 24 incher for the '99 Final 4. It was like a big screen compared to mine. Now, a 24" HD monitor is standard issue, with whatever you want at your finger tips.

I think I was saying the opposite. They could literally watch football in their seats. Have you see the next phase of stadiums and arenas. Each seat will have a multimedia entertainment center. That's if you buy a seat. Luxury boxes will be located on the court/field. If you'd rather not mess with media, there are new options, like standing levels and areas.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think I was saying the opposite. They could literally watch football in their seats. Have you see the next phase of stadiums and arenas. Each seat will have a multimedia entertainment center. That's if you buy a seat. Luxury boxes will be located on the court/field. If you'd rather not mess with media, there are new options, like standing levels and areas.

I was in Denver Colorado during the last week of the baseball season. My wife and I were there to see the Sox in Coors Field, but we got preseason tickets to the Avs for the night before (on the glass for $13.50/pc. off StubHub, It was fantastic). Let's put it this way. If the Pepsi Center is the new low water mark, Connecticut will never see professional sports on the highest level ever again.

Reaction Score

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Some of last week's fs2 games had 2,000 viewers

http://sonofthebronx.blogspot.com/2013/11/nbc-sports-network-nbcsn-fox-sports-1_22.html

College hockey on NBCSN did 88,000 fans, which matched the best BE rating on Fs1 again, and this time Minnesota wasn't involved.

Other FS1 games were 64k, 58k, 37k, 35k, 17k, 8k. The Fs2 games were beyond abysmal.
I'd venture to say that UConn on SNY was getting more viewers.

You are making this argument the weekend where, for the third time this season, a UConn football game was only available online.

This debate is over. One conference seems to have almost every game nationally broadcast, and one conference is available primarily through the Internet.

Reaction Score
You are making this argument the weekend where, for the third time this season, a UConn football game was only available online.

This debate is over. One conference seems to have almost every game nationally broadcast, and one conference is available primarily through the Internet.

Football is on the old contract. New contract kicks in next year. 50% more games on ESPN.

Reaction Score
Football is on the old contract. New contract kicks in next year. 50% more games on ESPN.
He refuses to acknowledge that very valid point. It is not worth arguing it with him, since he seems hell bent on ignoring facts like those to claim victory in this argument.

Really is no argument to be made, if when you factor the in exit fees, UConn is making more money than the Big East schools, and if the new contract is going be close in terms of getting exposure, the only thing left to argue is that your mad your going to be playing East Carolina instead of Seton Hall in basketball.

Husky25

Reaction Score

This is the very definition of an Apples (Football) and Oranges (Basketball) comparison. Also you are trying to compare a single poor football team vs. the entire conference. UConn was 0-9 playing another poor team who was 1-9. There were other AAC games on Saturday on the over-the-air ESPN channels featuring better matchups. The Big East does not sponsor FBS football, so they cannot be broadcast at all, let alone on the Internet or nationally. If Big East basketball on Fox Sports is getting rating like those that have been published on this thread, it is a poor performance. There are no, "Yeah, buts." Period.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Of course he won't acknowledge this point. It defeats his argument, soundly and completely. Better to pretend it doesn't exist . . .

Reaction Score
Of course he won't acknowledge this point. It defeats his argument, soundly and completely. Better to pretend it doesn't exist . . .

Yes, and it also shows that the losing teams of the old BE were never on TV either!

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

For someone like PC, its a great deal because otherwise you aren't on at all. It will help with recruiting, no doubt.

For UCONN, it would mean a big decrease in exposure compared to what we have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom