Big East basketball on FoxSports | The Boneyard

Big East basketball on FoxSports

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They are going to kick ass on FSN. That is a lot of prime time national network play for Depaul and Seton Hall, and those two turnip basketball programs will make more in TV money than UConn will for both football and basketball. The AAC should have done whatever it had to do to get away from ESPN and the nightmare TV contract.

Reaction Score
The Knight in shining armor, NBC Sports Network, really flucked the AAC. I mean their offer was so pitiful ESPN, must have LOL, and thought, "shat, we would have offered more than that, if they weren't so hell bent on going on the open market".

I watch a lot of Fox Sports stuff, because of the UFC. They are promoting the Big East well. I still haven't watched one game there involving a Big East team. I really enjoy college basketball, but there is not one compelling game I'd randomly tune in to other than maybe Georgetown Villanova. If they were good, I'd tune in to see St. John's play either of the aforementioned. The rest, including Marquette do nothing for me. I hate myself for saying this, but the ACC on the other hand is going to be awesome with their matchups.

Why have we never seen an official number of what Fox Sports is paying the Big East? I doubt very much the 5 million a year figure was on the mark.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They are going to kick ass on FSN.

You talk about how great a deal it is for them, all the exposure...but you still got the network wrong. Exactly why its a risky deal long term.

Reaction Score
Fox Sports 1 ratings have actually turned out to be abysmal in its beginning.

Reaction Score
FSN= Fox Sports Networks no? I know they are FS1 and FS2, but I figured FSN was used for both.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You talk about how great a deal it is for them, all the exposure...but you still got the network wrong. Exactly why its a risky deal long term.

I don't know the names of half the channels I watch. I just know the shows.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

There is no collection of arguments that you can make that we are better off in terms of conference and television exposure than they are.

Reaction Score
The quality of the production on Fox Sports 1 is superior NBC sports network in my opinion. The quality of the games is no different than watching a college football game on espn for example. In time I think Fox Sports Networks will catch on big time. I really wished they would have made a play for the AAC, because it would have benefited both parties. Simply put, they don't have enough games I (the casual fan) want to watch. I like some their Big 12 football, I like their UFC stuff. I will not watch soccer, or nascar, and I might tune into GTown Nova. They need more content. AAC would have helped in football and basketball. Oh well.

Reaction Score
There is no collection of arguments that you can make that we are better off in terms of conference and television exposure than they are.

For football, there is no question that ESPN is better than FSN. Why? ESPN controls home games that the AAC schools may schedule with P5 teams. If the AAC was aligned with Fox, I can guarantee that ESPN would be against any of "their" teams playing a game at an AAC school that would broadcast on Fox.

Turning to basketball, there are some similar arguments. I think the former Big East teams are going to have a hard time scheduling the marquee ESPN basketball teams. In addition, I don't think you will see many highlights of Big East games on ESPN. For the Big East, Fox is a big risk that they are being compensated for, but it may not play out.

Look, AAC made a bet. They bet that ESPN exposure in the short term will keep the AAC schools relevant and lead to a better contract down the road. For most AAC schools not named UConn, the ESPN exposure is much better than they experienced in the past.

Reaction Score
I don't know the names of half the channels I watch. I just know the shows.
I read an article recently that said that ratings have been so low on FS1 that Fox agreed to run free commercials promoting the channel during the World Series on Fox. Don't know if they improved at all but the initial info was that no one was watching or didn't know where to find the channel.

Reaction Score
The quality of the production on Fox Sports 1 is superior NBC sports network in my opinion. The quality of the games is no different than watching a college football game on espn for example. In time I think Fox Sports Networks will catch on big time. I really wished they would have made a play for the AAC, because it would have benefited both parties. Simply put, they don't have enough games I (the casual fan) want to watch. I like some their Big 12 football, I like their UFC stuff. I will not watch soccer, or nascar, and I might tune into GTown Nova. They need more content. AAC would have helped in football and basketball. Oh well.

I can't disagree with this more.

FS1 looks totally shoddy to me. Granted, I only watched parts of BC-PC but what I saw was ridiculously bad. The HD was pixellated, and there was a gigantic graphic at the bottom where you couldn't see the players' feet near the sideline. Hard to tell when the ball was going out. But that's not the reason I disagree with you on NBC. Last year when I watched the Premier league on Fox it seemed like a rebroadcast of some low production British public Tv event, while now NBC is bringing all the bells and whistles to Premier league events, they look like the NFL. In fact, they even have those cameras over the top of the field like the NFL and you have overhead closeups of players especially when you see nice footwork.

We are 100% better off on ESPN. Nelson would have given up 16 appearances on ESPN, ESPN2 and CBS for $1.5 million?
Are you kidding me?

Go to the PC boards right now and read everyone complaining about the lack of availability for FS2 TV packages in Boston and Rhode Island.

Reaction Score
Look, AAC made a bet. They bet that ESPN exposure in the short term will keep the AAC schools relevant and lead to a better contract down the road. For most AAC schools not named UConn, the ESPN exposure is much better than they experienced in the past.

The ESPN exposure is much better for UConn now than it was in the BE.

Reaction Score
I really want to see the ESPN and ESPN2 ratings relative to FS1. That would tell us a lot. BUT I have no idea where those ratings are provided.

Reaction Score
The Knight in shining armor, NBC Sports Network, really flucked the AAC. I mean their offer was so pitiful ESPN, must have LOL, and thought, "shat, we would have offered more than that, if they weren't so hell bent on going on the open market".

I watch a lot of Fox Sports stuff, because of the UFC. They are promoting the Big East well. I still haven't watched one game there involving a Big East team. I really enjoy college basketball, but there is not one compelling game I'd randomly tune in to other than maybe Georgetown Villanova. If they were good, I'd tune in to see St. John's play either of the aforementioned. The rest, including Marquette do nothing for me. I hate myself for saying this, but the ACC on the other hand is going to be awesome with their matchups.

Why have we never seen an official number of what Fox Sports is paying the Big East? I doubt very much the 5 million a year figure was on the mark.

I completely agree. I've found that I have no interest whatsoever in watching any New Big East games. I personally don't feel that those schools are all that popular and don't see how that conference will be considered major going forward.

zls44

Reaction Score
I really want to see the ESPN and ESPN2 ratings relative to FS1. That would tell us a lot. BUT I have no idea where those ratings are provided.

Google "Son of the Bronx" to find them.

Reaction Score
Google "Son of the Bronx" to find them.

Found it, so... we'll see last week's rating about a week from now. He seems to put them up one week after the conclusion of the prior week, and this week ended at 11/12. So, somewhere around 11/19 we will see how UConn did on ESPN2 head-to-head against FS1.

zls44

Reaction Score
Found it, so... we'll see last week's rating about a week from now. He seems to put them up one week after the conclusion of the prior week, and this week ended at 11/12. So, somewhere around 11/19 we will see how UConn did on ESPN2 head-to-head against FS1.

I can't give out all the details, but I can tell you that UConn-Maryland was both (a) a mediocre rating and (b) higher than any college FOOTBALL game on FS1 since TCU vs Texas.

College basketball usually has weak ratings. FS1 has always had weak ratings. The mix of the two will lead to UConn demolishing the PC-BC number. Demolishing.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I do find the B12 football games on FS1 to be well-produced, but they have some abysmal announcing teams.

Reaction Score
I can't disagree with this more.

FS1 looks totally shoddy to me. Granted, I only watched parts of BC-PC but what I saw was ridiculously bad. The HD was pixellated, and there was a gigantic graphic at the bottom where you couldn't see the players' feet near the sideline. Hard to tell when the ball was going out. But that's not the reason I disagree with you on NBC. Last year when I watched the Premier league on Fox it seemed like a rebroadcast of some low production British public Tv event, while now NBC is bringing all the bells and whistles to Premier league events, they look like the NFL. In fact, they even have those cameras over the top of the field like the NFL and you have overhead closeups of players especially when you see nice footwork.

We are 100% better off on ESPN. Nelson would have given up 16 appearances on ESPN, ESPN2 and CBS for $1.5 million?
Are you kidding me?

Go to the PC boards right now and read everyone complaining about the lack of availability for FS2 TV packages in Boston and Rhode Island.
Like I said, I don't watch soccer, or nascar. Have not seen a single big east game yet on fox. Their Big 12 football is top notch, as is all their UFC stuff. The college stuff on NBC sports, their MMA events and boxing stuff, all look second rate to me. Both outfits are really struggling with content I want to tune into.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They are going to kick ass on FSN. That is a lot of prime time national network play for Depaul and Seton Hall, and those two turnip basketball programs will make more in TV money than UConn will for both football and basketball. The AAC should have done whatever it had to do to get away from ESPN and the nightmare TV contract.
I surf the channel guide looking for a green listing that says, "College Basketball," without regard as to what channel it actually is. My next action is to press the, "Info," button on my remote. Unless the game involves UConn, I would never tune into a DePaul or Seton Hall game. I don't think I'm alone and that includes fans of Big East teams. It's the old noise made by a fallen tree analogy. Is the game really played if no sees it?

Sadly, the same may be said for AAC football, but I take solace in the fact that my alma mater appears to want to improve their position by moving to another conference. The Catholic 7 CHOSE to become mid-major.

Reaction Score
I surf the channel guide looking for a green listing that says, "College Basketball," without regard as to what channel it actually is. My next action is to press the, "Info," button on my remote. Unless the game involves UConn, I would never tune into a DePaul or Seton Hall game. I don't think I'm alone and that includes fans of Big East teams. It's the old noise made by a fallen tree analogy. Is the game really played if no sees it?

Sadly, the same may be said for AAC football, but I take solace in the fact that my alma mater appears to want to improve their position by moving to another conference. The Catholic 7 CHOSE to become mid-major.

It's interesting to hear how other people go about it.

Because I only get 20 of the 150 sports channels available to me, I would go out of my mind using the sports guide listing. When I first got DirecTV, I became very familiar with the logo telling me I don't have the channel. Now I know I have all the ESPNs, FS1 and FS2, CBSN, NBCS, NFLN, 10 other NFLs, and regionals like SNY, NESN, MSG and YES. All the BeIN and other networks I didn't have were driving me mad.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's interesting to hear how other people go about it.

Because I only get 20 of the 150 sports channels available to me, I would go out of my mind using the sports guide listing. When I first got DirecTV, I became very familiar with the logo telling me I don't have the channel. Now I know I have all the ESPNs, FS1 and FS2, CBSN, NBCS, NFLN, 10 other NFLs, and regionals like SNY, NESN, MSG and YES. All the BeIN and other networks I didn't have were driving me mad.
On Comcast all the HD sports channels are between 1605 and 17-something and there is a short preview in the corner. My point is that except for G-town, the teams who remain in the Big East are not national brands and they chose on their own volition to break away from the large budget football sponsoring programs. So by loose, but, valid, definition, they chose to become a mid-major conference. By and large, a Big East game will not peek much interest. If interest is not peeked, then did they really gain the exposure they were after? I say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom