BiG CR articles | Page 8 | The Boneyard

BiG CR articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Perception!!Not that they need it or care! Now please I asked for time for digestion!!

Well, woomba is right that Cornell has benefited from the association, but they're the only ones. The other schools are all frm the colonial era, some even from the 1600s. The Ivy League wasn't established until the 1950s. 7 of the 8 were already firmly established as top schools for a century or more. Cornell was founded in the mid 1800s and came to be associated with the others over time. But the others built their reputation independently.

Reaction Score
I referenced the 7 years to get paid plan in my post to use as a hypothetical situation.

Here is the upstarter post:
You left out the most important parts of the post. First of all, I can't even fathom how you get 10 or 15 million when it's taken teams 2 and 3 years to get out. Your own school Pitt announced in 2011 and is finally in the conference for 2013-2014. 2 years without SEC pay = $60 million. Then you look at Rutgers that is taking 7 years to get paid by the B1G. If Rutgers were leaving the SEC, it would have made $70 million less in those 7 years than it otherwise would have by staying put. Total bill for leaving: $130 million.​

That is the exact verbage of the quote and not taken out of context.
I wonder if were taking it out of context?Maybe he mean't FULL SHARE paid or he's got some splainin to do!?!

Reaction Score
I referenced the 7 years to get paid plan in my post to use as a hypothetical situation.

Here is the upstarter post:
You left out the most important parts of the post. First of all, I can't even fathom how you get 10 or 15 million when it's taken teams 2 and 3 years to get out. Your own school Pitt announced in 2011 and is finally in the conference for 2013-2014. 2 years without SEC pay = $60 million. Then you look at Rutgers that is taking 7 years to get paid by the B1G. If Rutgers were leaving the SEC, it would have made $70 million less in those 7 years than it otherwise would have by staying put. Total bill for leaving: $130 million.​

That is the exact verbage of the quote and not taken out of context.

It is out of context.

How about you stop distorting my posts?

The quote above comes from your response to this:

Missouri is now in a position of negotiating strength. The B1G has to grovel to add Missouri now when it could have had them for a pittance. The difference is this: look at Rutgers' deal, they won't be fully vested for almost a decade. They will pay-into the B1G for a long time. Missouri, since it's in the SEC, will rightly demand immediate full membership. And they have every reason to do so, since a Rutgers type deal would see them take huge losses monetarily.

So, when I said in response to your first distortion that Rutgers is waiting to get paid, the context was already established that Rutgers isn't fully vested. Even in the quote you bolded, I didn't say Rutgers was going unpaid. I said they were waiting to get paid. And my previous post that you responded to broke down their deal as one in which they were not fully vested upon entering the B1G.

Reaction Score
I wonder if were taking it out of context?Maybe he mean't FULL SHARE paid or he's got some splainin to do!?!
I think he needs to clarify that "exact verbage" as I was typing my answers were here already!

Reaction Score

If you want to understand the context of what I wrote, stop reading UPitt's posts. And read my posts. They're in this thread for heaven's sake. There is no ambiguity. UPitt responded to a post in which I stated that Rutgers is not fully vested. The quoted he bolded here was in that context. You'll only get confused if you follow him.

Reaction Score
Didnt doubt Mizzou losing money only RU not getting there's!

Rutgers is making out because it's leaving the BE. But it's not getting a full share from the B1G.

I can't understand how any of this is confusing for anyone at all since my original post said that IF Missouri gets a Rutgers type deal, it would lose a huge amount of money.

Pretty simple stuff. Sheesh.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Perception!!Not that they need it or care! Now please I asked for time for digestion!!

The only thing where conference affiliation MIGHT help is in attracting undergraduates... but then again so does having a climbing wall in your gym.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't know if Jurich out worked Manuel or not. I do know that Jurich called everyone he knew in the ACC that week. Cincinnati was apparently trying hard too. If Manuel is interested in the ACC, he might want to spend some time courting our southern schools like FSU, Clemson, and GT a bit by trying to schedule football games. I know UVA and UConn have a home and home coming up in a few years, and we've played before. But I don't know how much history UConn has with the southern ACC schools. Just a thought.

I too have concerns about Louisville academically as I would West Virginia if it were them, but I view them as in about the same place as FSU was when FSU joined. FSU has made improvement since they joined.

I don't have any idea whether the Big Ten is looking at UConn. I do know that they typically require AAU status.

Is it possible that Manuel's actions in regard to getting invited to the ACC last year were percieved as inactions because the ACC's not his focus (as directed by Susn Herbst)? Is it possible that, after numerous snubs by the ACC, UConn's goal became the Big Ten and viewed an ACC invite as a consolation prize even before the last go-around? Is it possible that plans for AAU admission was put into place immediately upon Herbst's arrival and the efforts of that labor have just recently began baring fruit?

Related: Did anyone see the Outside The Lines on Sunday? UConn is intimately involved in researching the effects of Heat stroke on athletes. UConn was front and center in the ESPN report, one that that is brought up each and every August as high schools and colleges begin summer two-a-days.

Reaction Score
Conference affiliation has nothing to do with academic rep. Absolutely no one holds the SEC against Vanderbilt. This is why BC's claims about the ACC's academic prowess are absolutely ludicrous. The only difference that academics makes is that schools with lower standards will have an advantage on the playing fields, but as for reputation, it doesn't make a bit of difference what conference you're in.

So now you are saying the conference affiliation has nothing to do with academic reputation. Then how do you explain the AAU requirement for the B1G? Or WVU not being considered for the ACC for academic reasons? Or the stance of Cal not wanting to be in a conference with Cal St? Or the ivy league? Or the perception of weak academics and low standards of the SEC (Vandy being the exception)?

You work in academics, so I know that you understand that academics and conference affiliation are related. Perception is important and conference affiliation impacts perception. Another example of conference affiliation impacting academics is the schools in the B1G share academic resources and belong to the CIC. This conference affiliation most definitely has an impact on the academic reputation of the schools.

Reaction Score
So now you are saying the conference affiliation has nothing to do with academic reputation. Then how do you explain the AAU requirement for the B1G? Or WVU not being considered for the ACC for academic reasons? Or the stance of Cal not wanting to be in a conference with Cal St? Or the ivy league? Or the perception of weak academics and low standards of the SEC (Vandy being the exception)?

You work in academics, so I know that you understand that academics and conference affiliation are related. Perception is important and conference affiliation impacts perception. Example: Schools in the B1G share academic resources and belong to the CIC. This conference affiliation most definitely has an impact on the academic reputation of the schools.

Schools don't want to compete on the playing field with other schools that admit anyone. Even Nick Saban complained about that when he was at LSU!!!

Reaction Score
Rutgers is making out because it's leaving the BE. But it's not getting a full share from the B1G.

I can't understand how any of this is confusing for anyone at all since my original post said that IF Missouri gets a Rutgers type deal, it would lose a huge amount of money.

Pretty simple stuff. Sheesh.
Your right ..why would UPitt go thru all that deception to confuse the simple issue?Im not liking the answer Im getting..sorry upstater!

Reaction Score
UConn has had home and homes against Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, UNC, NC State, Duke, Virginia, Maryland. It has played AT Miami and Virginia Tech in one offs. The only schools it has not played are Clemson and Florida State. The fact is, we don't know anything about what happened behind the scenes. We do know three things that were reported in the media:

1. FSU's Chairman of the Board was furious that UNC and Tobacco Road allowed tier 3 basketball rights to stay with the schools while selling off tier 3 football rights to Raycom (an assumption that was probably erroneous), and he blasted Tobacco Road publicly for it.

2. BC's new AD blocked UConn in committee and again UNC and Duke's Presidents were incredulous.

3. FSU threatened to leave and quickly showed the ACC whose boss as the majority of the conference followed FSU's lead.

4. The UNC President made that weird statement in the media that the addition of Louisville had absolutely nothing to do with academics.

When you add it all up, FSU was angry at Tobacco Road before Maryland announced plans to leave, and the Louisville candidacy was the perfect leverage to show Tobacco Road who is boss. It helped that BC and Miami don't want UConn.

Last I read, FSU is still a tad upset that the Raycom deal prevents the ACC from developing a more lucrative network.

FSU's chairman Andy Haggard was reacting to erroneous information. He has since been straightened out, and he's in good shape. FSU's on board. One of their gripes is the division makeup. They want a North South split. They are at the southern end of the geography, and they complain that while they are not able to play Georgia Tech that often (closest school to them in Atlanta), they have to fly up to Boston and now Syracuse all the time. They don't like this. But the ACC likes the balance of the current Divisions. If we could ever get to 16, we could fix this. I don't like the 14 team setup either.

They see UConn as another northern school a long way from them that they have no history with and their fans can't easily travel to games there. That's what they already think of Boston College. FSU fans would rather have someone like USF that they are able to drive to or SEC schools. I don't know if the school wants that, but the fans do. This is part of the reason I don't get BC's attitude toward UConn because the two are close by each other and fans can drive to the games. You've explained it, but I think it's petty.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
FSU's chairman Andy Haggard was reacting to erroneous information. He has since been straightened out, and he's in good shape. FSU's on board. One of their gripes is the division makeup. They want a North South split. They are at the southern end of the geography, and they complain that while they are not able to play Georgia Tech that often (closest school to them in Atlanta), they have to fly up to Boston and now Syracuse all the time. They don't like this. But the ACC likes the balance of the current Divisions. If we could ever get to 16, we could fix this. I don't like the 14 team setup either.

They see UConn as another northern school a long way from them that they have no history with and their fans can't easily travel to games there. That's what they already think of Boston College. FSU fans would rather have someone like USF that they are able to drive to or SEC schools. I don't know if the school wants that, but the fans do. This is part of the reason I don't get BC's attitude toward UConn because the two are close by each other and fans can drive to the games. You've explained it, but I think it's petty.
If UConn ever joined the ACC, I could envision divisions comprised of the old Big East vs. the old ACC.

Reaction Score
Your right ..why would UPitt go thru all that deception to confuse the simple issue?Im not liking the answer Im getting..sorry upstater!

I agreed with upstarter that it would cost Mizzou money to leave the SEC, but I question if it would cost $130 million. Do you think it would cost Mizzou $130 million to leave the SEC and join the B1G? I explained a few scenarios, and cited precedent where they have been done recently by other conferences, that would cost far less for Mizzou to join the B1G. If the B1G is going to be serious about trying to poach a team from the SEC, the B1G would need to work with the SEC team to cut down on the cost. One really good way is to shorten the entrance time frame, as this would cost the B1G very little and save the SEC team $30-$60 million. Also, the B1G could offer a better share of the conference payouts, if the team is desired enough and would boost the conference earnings.

Reaction Score
I agreed with upstarter that it would cost Mizzou money to leave the SEC, but I question if it would cost $130 million. Do you think it would cost Mizzou $130 million to leave the SEC and join the B1G? I explained a few scenarios, and cited precedent where they have been done recently by other conferences, that would cost far less for Mizzou to join the B1G. If the B1G is going to be serious about trying to poach a team from the SEC, the B1G would need to work with the SEC team to cut down on the cost. One really good way is to shorten the entrance time frame, as this would cost the B1G very little and save the SEC team $30-$60 million. Also, the B1G could offer a better share of the conference payouts, if the team is desired enough and would boost the conference earnings.

I wrote that IF Mizzou got the Rutgers deal, it would cost them $130 million.

Reaction Score
I wrote that IF Mizzou got the Rutgers deal, it would cost them $130 million.

And I explained what IF they got a better deal, as many of the realignment teams did. Rutgers got a great deal considering the state of the Big East and gained access to the richest conference for future earnings. In the end, Rutgers may benefit the most due to B1G affiliation but Rutgers was forced to wait over two years and will not receive full benefits upon entrance for another 5 years. WVU had a larger exit fee, but did not have to wait and will likely gain back the exit fee costs through faster earnings in the Big 12. Pitt, Cuse, and Ville will be receiving full benefits the first year. If precedent has been set by other conferences to shorten the enterence time and pay full (or closer to full) benefits the first year, then why is it so crazy to assume the B1G would not do this for an SEC team?

Reaction Score
And I explained what IF they got a better deal, as many of the realignment teams did. Rutgers got a great deal considering the state of the Big East and gained access to the richest conference for future earnings. In the end, Rutgers may benefit the most due to B1G affiliation but Rutgers was forced to wait over two years and will not receive full benefits upon entrance for another 5 years. WVU had a larger exit fee, but did not have to wait and will likely gain back the exit fee costs through faster earnings in the Big 12. Pitt, Cuse, and Ville will be receiving full benefits the first year. If precedent has been set by other conferences to shorten the enterence time and pay full (or closer to full) benefits the first year, then why is it so crazy to assume the B1G would not do this for an SEC team?

The $130 million figure comes from Missouri getting a Rutgers deal. The Rutgers deal was actually better than the Nebraska and Penn State deal (PSU and Nebraska had to "buy-in," actually pay the B1G and then wait to be vested). This is how the B1G has done things. In the future, if they do things differently, they may have to explain to the last 4 adds why they were treated differently than Missouri. Be that as it may, Missouri's deal in any case would set them back a huge amount of money--anyway you cut it.

By the way, Pitt and Cuse had to buy-into the ACC as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So true; but, some guy named John Pemberton in the late 1800’s created a concoction that was supposed to cure disease, headaches, and even impotence out of drug stores and push carts in Atlanta. Roughly, 130 years later, Coca-Cola is a Fortune 100 company with 146,000 employees globally and revenues of $48 billion. Sometimes, smoke and mirrors work. As it did for Louisville this time.
Well cocaine as the principal active ingredient might have helped just a bit as well.

Reaction Score
Probably helped Cornell though ;)

Probably helped all but Harvard, Princeton and Yale. But that wasn't the point of the Ivy League. It was formed by the so called "ancient eight" to de-emphasize athletics.
Ivy football was the best in the land for decades. Yale and Princeton had Heisman winners and Cornell probably should have. Columbia even played in the Rose Bowl. In the fifties, the Ivy presidents got together and agreed on a set of principles to govern their participation in collegiate sports. I'd say it worked out pretty well for them. What do you think?

(BTW, it is one league/conference where you can pretty much guarantee there won't be any CR! Nobody gets in and nobody gets out.)

Reaction Score
It will never happen; but, the only school that I could ever see being added to the Ivy is John Hopkins, an AAU, private university, located in the Northeast, with a massive endowment ($2.6 Billion, #26, ahead of Brown), serious academic cred (US News #13 ahead Brown & Cornell with arguably the best hospital in the country, and limited interest in major college athletics. Heck, the one sport that Hopkins takes seriously is lacrosse, which Cornell, Princeton and several others are no slouches at either. Other candidates such as U Chicago, Emory, Washington U (St Louis), Case Western are all outside of the Northeast. The rest are DIII in athletics such as MIT, Rochester, NYU, and the Little Ivies, such as Williams, Amherst and Trinity. The one odd ball in the group is Georgetown, which is a serious academic school; but, is also very serious about its basketball team.

Reaction Score
It will never happen; but, the only school that I could ever see being added to the Ivy is John Hopkins, an AAU, private university, located in the Northeast, with a massive endowment ($2.6 Billion, #26, ahead of Brown), serious academic cred (US News #13 ahead Brown & Cornell with arguably the best hospital in the country, and limited interest in major college athletics. Heck, the one sport that Hopkins takes seriously is lacrosse, which Cornell, Princeton and several others are no slouches at either. Other candidates such as U Chicago, Emory, Washington U (St Louis), Case Western are all outside of the Northeast. The rest are DIII in athletics such as MIT, Rochester, NYU, and the Little Ivies, such as Williams, Amherst and Trinity. The one odd ball in the group is Georgetown, which is a serious academic school; but, is also very serious about its basketball team.

Johns Hopkins, like Chicago, is graduate oriented, and limited in breadth. Great school, but unlike the other Ivies.

Reaction Score
Is it possible that Manuel's actions in regard to getting invited to the ACC last year were percieved as inactions because the ACC's not his focus (as directed by Susn Herbst)? Is it possible that, after numerous snubs by the ACC, UConn's goal became the Big Ten and viewed an ACC invite as a consolation prize even before the last go-around? Is it possible that plans for AAU admission was put into place immediately upon Herbst's arrival and the efforts of that labor have just recently began baring fruit?

Related: Did anyone see the Outside The Lines on Sunday? UConn is intimately involved in researching the effects of Heat stroke on athletes. UConn was front and center in the ESPN report, one that that is brought up each and every August as high schools and colleges begin summer two-a-days.
Are you kidding me? UConn was begging for an ACC invite. Manuel fumbled the ball and Jurich recovered. Thus Louisville in, UConn out. Manuel has stated he is done with realignment. All the fluff shows on ESPN mean nothing. This are no plans, no meetings. Herbst and Calhoun are going to Israel in October to see if UConn can join a conference there. Let me be the first to start that rumor.

Reaction Score

Uconn is associated with Kory Stringer foundation- NFL player who died from heat stroke during camp with Vikings. His wife was the keynote speaker at my daughters graduation 2 years ago.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Uconn is associated with Kory Stringer foundation- NFL player who died from heat stroke during camp with Vikings. His wife was the keynote speaker at my daughters graduation 2 years ago.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000228344/article/korey-stringer-institute-and-gatorade

In April 2010, the University of Connecticut (UConn) announced the formation of the Korey Stringer Institute (KSI), funded by the NFL in partnership with UConn and Gatorade.

Kelci, who serves as the Institute's Chief Executive Officer, chose UConn because its Department of Kinesiology is a national leader in the study of heat and hydration issues related to athletes and the physically active. UConn Kinesiology Professor Douglas J. Casa, Ph.D., ATC, the Institute's lead researcher, is one of the country's preeminent experts in the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom