Big 12 votes to pursue expansion | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Big 12 votes to pursue expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Football markets don't have feet, you moran.
Please tell me this is some dumb/clumsy homage to

49f224f87fb423b64bfba49862436d16.jpg

Reaction Score
If I have to explain what a "moran" is, it's really not worth it. There is an article in the local rag about how ECU is pimping itself out big time to join the conference.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If I have to explain what a "moran" is, it's really not worth it. There is an article in the local rag about how ECU is pimping itself out big time to join the conference.

ECU. LMAO!!!

Reaction Score
Of the possible candidates

Houston - Is in Texas, and whatever Texas wants, Texas gets. I'm not exactly sure how, but for some damn reason the Texas legislature is involved in this, and they really seem to want Houston to get an invite

UCF/USF - A footprint in Florida for the conference

ECU - Is pimping itself out like a whore needing a meth fix.

Memphis - Has the Fedex money behind it. Not sure how that matters, but somehow it will.

Cincinnati - Has been a candidate for some time now.

UCONN - Would be a great fit, but that don't mean squat. I'de love to let some you buy me a beer at the Big XII basketball tourney in KC, but I think that's a longshot and not just because you all are cheap bastages.

There are other names that keep popping up, but my barber's neighbor's aunt, who visits a podiatrist who went to school with one of the commitee members, tells me that the others don't have a snowballs chance in Hell, unless of course things change.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think one or both of UCF or South Florida gets an invite. It's not about the quality of the program but about the number of television sets that are brought to the party. That is why I think the Big XII wants to get in Florida.

Why when both USF and UCF are at best fourth and fifth options in their home state. Neither school brings in a bunch of eyes, period .

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Anytime you can invite the fourth best school in Florida, the third best in Tennessee and, what, the sixth or seventh best in Texas, you just gotta do it.

That's how you improve your conference.

Reaction Score
Logic plays no part. How else do you explain TCU being part of the last expansion? This league has been, and always will be, about what Texas wants.

Reaction Score
Logic plays no part. How else do you explain TCU being part of the last expansion? This league has been, and always will be, about what Texas wants.

I explain TCU and WVU to the Big12 as an emergency "forced add." As you may recall, when TA&M and Missouri bolted the Big12 was down to 8 team and its media TV contracted was officially voided. The Big12 had to add 2 teams and add them fast to keep their TV money. There was no time for evaluations or numbers crunching or lobbying...the decision was "add the best available football programs that allow us to keep our TV money now."

This time around expansion for theBig12 is very different. Between the BHV studies and other exhaustive evaluations the Big12 should know the exact worth of the potential G5 programs. We can only assume the reason UConn is staying publicly quiet is because they know the numbers favor UConn or that public begging will not change the outcome. Does that mean the Big12 will make an purely objective numbers based decision? Probably not, we know Texas politics are already involved and Big12 schools all have a different way of looking at candidates with their own subjective biases. But it won't be the shotgun marriage like the last Big12 expansion and publicly lobbying is not going to change the process.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder, based on how many people from CT retire in FL, does UConn actually have more fans in FL than either UCF or USF? Probably not but I bet there are more UConn fans in FL than our AD and, hence, the B12 decision makers, realize.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I wonder, based on how many people from CT retire in FL, does UConn actually have more fans in FL than either UCF or USF? Probably not but I bet there are more UConn fans in FL than our AD and, hence, the B12 decision makers, realize.
Does this mean you think it enhances UConn being admitted over or with USF and/or UCF?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
UConn will likely be passed over just because the Big 12 will be too embarrassed to admit they've been so out maneuvered with realignment they need to go halfway across North America to add a school with P5 metrics and credentials. So, they'll hold their nose, add Memphis, and proclaim publically how much of a "growth potential" they have and that it didn't really matter who they added anyway since the pro rata clause (the sole reason for expansion) treats all candidates equal anyway.

The college athletics universe and especially their media partners can all burn in hell forever.

Reaction Score
UConn will likely be passed over just because the Big 12 will be too embarrassed to admit they've been so out maneuvered with realignment they need to go halfway across North America to add a school with P5 metrics and credentials. So, they'll hold their nose, add Memphis, and proclaim publically how much of a "growth potential" they have and that it didn't really matter who they added anyway since the pro rata clause (the sole reason for expansion) treats all candidates equal anyway.

The college athletics universe and especially their media partners can all burn in hell forever.
The conference that already went halfway across North Anerica to get West Virginia will now be too embarrassed to do it again?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The conference that already went halfway across North Anerica to get West Virginia will now be too embarrassed to do it again?
Yes.

WVU is only 1/4 the way.

Reaction Score
I would say this.... If UConn is not in a P5 this go around... ESPN and ALL sport media will be cancelled from my cable box.... Only will see UCONN games that are televised or get my UConn all access thru the university.

Reaction Score
I would say this.... If UConn is not in a P5 this go around... ESPN and ALL sport media will be cancelled from my cable box.... Only will see UCONN games that are televised or get my UConn all access thru the university.

When Memphis gets the spot over UConn, I expect someone from the state to place a call to ESPN's honcho to ask him why ESPN is subsidizing Memphis in this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom