Big 12 TV partners push back on expansion | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Big 12 TV partners push back on expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Well, well, well. So just who is leaking what? ESPN planted yesterday's story and Fox (or Boren) planted today's story?

ESPN probably trying to slow this down in order to get UConn into the ACC. Meanwhile, if the B12 pounces first - we'll take it. I'm ready to become a FOX man. Let's give their channel legs in the EST. Actually, lets carry the channel in the EST. Lets face it, FOX wants UConn/Cincy/directional Florida and BYU and/or something east like Temple.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see the ACC dive in and take UConn/Cincy (plenty of content for network) and then have Temple waiting in the wings in case ND ever decides to join (which they won't) Screw you Big 12 (unless of course you want us, then Big 12 is awesome)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That's not what the article says.

It made it seem that Memphis had been in prior discussions and was portrayed as the front runner with UConn and others on the back burner.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It made it seem that Memphis had been in prior discussions and was portrayed as the front runner with UConn and others on the back burner.

Yeah, but I wouldn't read too much into that. If the real nugget is EST programming, then UConn/Cincy/UCF and Temple fit the bill, not Memphis.

In fantasyland, it could get so crazy with BYU and Boise added for Football only and Fox pushes for UConn/Cincy/UCF/Temple. If you want tv eye balls, that is probably the best way to max out. No Houston (redundant market), No Memphis ( too central). Of course, tv folks won't get to call all the shots.

Reaction Score
Absolutely amazes me that the B12 went this far down the path without at least vetting this through their media partners. Confirms for me how little I know about the media business.

I would not be surprised if UCONN/State of Conn. are putting some heat on ESPN behind the scenes and ESPN may have said duckK NO! to Memphis and/or Houston. Pure speculation.

You have to remember they were not planning on expanding until mid July. Although it's been talked about on here for years, this accn pushed it onto the fast track. However, they've got the contract on their side. For all we know the tv blow back is function of espn and not the b12.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You know, when we leave, what will ESPN do during weeknights in the fall? More college softball? They may not have the AAC to kick around anymore for weeknight programming.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've taken a lot of shots since my spring game post. I guarantee that Suzys strategy involves Big 10 and ACC. She's not one to only play defense. I have no insights to support. Just instincts Will be an interesting week
In fairness the vast majority of them have been from a single idiot in a single thread that should have been nuked before it reached the second page.

I appreciate your sharing the info that you received, as I'm sure the vast majority of the board does.

That said, I don't see the cavalry riding over the hill any time soon if the Big 12 doesn't work out. I'd be happy to wrong though.

Reaction Score
You know, when we leave, what will ESPN do during weeknights in the fall? .

Hire Roger Goodell's current secretary away to ESPN to report on the Fall weeknites how well Roger Goodell is doing in keeping the NFL's integrity intact during difficult times.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Who the frick knows anymore?

The B12 School Presidents. They are the only ones that have a vote. They generally make these important decisions to add schools in a conference room together. They MIGHT select schools for their leagues via a distant teleconferencing call format, but thats not the norm. Just sayin'

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The B12 School Presidents. They are the only ones that have a vote. They generally make these important decisions to add schools in a conference room together. They MIGHT select schools for their leagues via a distant teleconferencing call format, but thats not the norm. Just sayin'

Thanks for the special insight.

Reaction Score
Absolutely amazes me that the B12 went this far down the path without at least vetting this through their media partners.

Thats why its more than likely that the B12 School Presidents have not even agreed to expand last month when they met, and its just the B12 Commish now throwing stuff out there because of the news since the B12 meetings concluded of his hearing of the ACC TV Contract, and the networks responding to his public comments about B12 's imminent expansion, when there is no imminent expansion about to take place, as the B12 School Presidents are not that far down the road to even agreeing to expand, let alone what numbers, and which schools. Its unlikely the B12 School Presidents would vote, until they had the report from their media partners of what the financials would be for any scenario they were about to vote on. Thats common sense, no ? Today is Tuesday. Wern't the rumors floating out there that schools would be notified by today ?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I really wanted to like this, but not sure I can like anything with that avatar.

I have received about -30 likes since changing it.

Reaction Score
I've taken a lot of shots since my spring game post. I guarantee that Suzys strategy involves Big 10 and ACC. She's not one to only play defense. I have no insights to support. Just instincts Will be an interesting week

OK, let's go full conspiracy nut here. Might the leak to Blaudschun been for a purpose, namely to make other conferences think that we are actually in danger of being taken?

Reaction Score
Why would they want to pay $20M for UConn games they already carry at a cost of $5M? I just don't see why ESPN would pay more for something they already own on the cheap.

Because no one flips on the TV to see UConn practice. The obvious answer is that the rights to a UConn--Oklahoma State football game is worth much more than the rights to a UConn -- Tulane football game, and the rights to a UConn -- Kansas basketball game is worth a lot more than the rights to a UConn -- Smu basketball game.

Reaction Score
OK, let's go full conspiracy nut here. Might the leak to Blaudschun been for a purpose, namely to make other conferences think that we are actually in danger of being taken?

The Blaud tweet means maybe 2 things:

1. All of Mark's friends in the AAC have moved on and now no one knows who this geezer is.

2. Or, the B12 is not anywhere close to making a decision. Or at least, the schools on the outside don't know it yet.

Reaction Score

Jesus - we all need help...

Reaction Score
It's in another thread, but Smith was just on the radio hyping UConn and BYU as the only expansion options that "own their own footprint." That story is full of quotes from anonymous sources. They obviously are getting leaked info from the network partners, and now he's saying that UConn and BYU are the best options. Maybe that's a sign that ESPN is pushing for us to get in.

Reaction Score

Coitus ESPN

But one thing is certain. ESPN can no longer pretend that it's not deeply involved in conference expansion. It can no longer maintain that it didn't influence what happened with the ACC and the Big Ten — that it didn't play a major role in the destruction of the Big East as a big-time college football conference.

What's happening with the Big 12 made all those denials utterly unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Please give me a break, I'm trying to change and recognize my past failures. I simply asked for clarification and specifics.

Thanks Skiblets. This is very helpful because it is specific about the conferences they are working with. The ACC is the perfect fit, B1G next best and B12 certainly an upgrade.

Interesting to be an AD and Commissioner in these wild times.

In fairness the vast majority of them have been from a single idiot in a single thread that should have been nuked before it reached the second page.

I appreciate your sharing the info that you received, as I'm sure the vast majority of the board does.

That said, I don't see the cavalry riding over the hill any time soon if the Big 12 doesn't work out. I'd be happy to wrong though.

Reaction Score
Been saying for years that the minute BE rejected that ESPN TV deal, it was all over. ESPN immediately told the ACC to pick apart the Big East. We were one of those victims of that process. ESPN basically took the money they were going to give to the BE and gave part of it to the ACC. We were royally screwed in the process. Our former conference mates Cuse and BCU worked together to block us etc. ESPN is one of the major reasons why we are sitting where we are now. ESPiN was the puppet master, and the ACC was the puppet. This is also why ESPiN always go out of its way to protect its little property since they own ACC media rights 100%.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Been saying for years that the minute BE rejected that ESPN TV deal, it was all over. ESPN immediately told the ACC to pick apart the Big East. We were one of those victims of that process. ESPN basically took the money they were going to give to the BE and gave part of it to the ACC. We were royally screwed in the process. Our former conference mates Cuse and BCU worked together to block us etc. ESPN is one of the major reasons why we are sitting where we are now. ESPiN was the puppet master, and the ACC was the puppet. This is also why ESPiN always go out of its way to protect its little property since they own ACC media rights 100%.

Wrong. Been covered elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278