Big 12 set for one of most important meetings in conference history (Dodd cheap shot at @Dooley?) | The Boneyard

Big 12 set for one of most important meetings in conference history (Dodd cheap shot at @Dooley?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
What a crock of . We invested we EARNED our way... We PAID those dues... Look at Rutgers if you want unearned and entitled... Look at BC... Get outta here with that bull.
Plus pointing out TCU / Utah being the only to move up from G5 to P5, without mentioning the Big East / AAC getting summarily demoted to purgatory status... and the fact that UConn had moved from IAA to a BCS / power conference only to have it taken away.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Poor Tiger Bronco not happy w/ Dodd either.

jay_25612:22pm via Twitter for Android
"Memphis is trying to buy its way in". Your hatred and bitterness for UM is sad and pathetic @dennisdoddcbs . I take this as racism.

Racism? LOL Every time Memphis Fans talk about their candidacy for The Big 12 they reference Fed Ex's theoretical pledge of 500 mil to the conference should they be admitted. If that's not trying to buy their way in what would you call it?

Reaction Score
Racism? LOL Every time Memphis Fans talk about their candidacy for The Big 12 they reference Fed Ex's theoretical pledge of 500 mil to the conference should they be admitted. If that's not trying to buy their way in what would you call it?
TigerBronco takes serious offense when you bring that up to him. He said that $500 mill was raised by the school..not given by Fed Ex. Actually got pretty angry with that.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
For whatever reason, Cincinnati officials were willing to sit down with Brian Davis from the Austin paper. This is a couple days old, sorry if already posted: Big 12 expansion: Cincinnati is putting its best Power 5 claw forward | Hookem.com

If you parse the words, it's very similar to what Herbst / Benedict / Manuel have said in the past but going just a bit further in acknowledging that yes they do desire and feel they deserve P5.

Reaction Score
Poor Tiger Bronco not happy w/ Dodd either.

jay_25612:22pm via Twitter for Android
"Memphis is trying to buy its way in". Your hatred and bitterness for UM is sad and pathetic @dennisdoddcbs . I take this as racism.
Memphis Community College should be in the Big12? Then I think UConn Avery Point should be in the ACC and CCSU in the AAC...and UConn in the Big10...

Why is it racism?? Memphis will not bring anything to the table....

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Getting back to the meetings... are we still under the impression reported a week or two ago that the network situation would need to be figured out before an expansion decision is made? Has there been any reporting that they will be voting on network / LNH related issues at the next meeting or just receiving the Bevilacqua data?

Reaction Score
At some point if you are a Memphis fan you need to change the likely criteria to be selected for the Big12. I do not blame the Memphis fans...desperation makes fans say stupid things. It does not make the statements less stupid or credible...only predictable.

As a UConn fan I try not to bash other programs but Memphis is not going to hit any of the key metrics...academics - no, media markets - no, regional appeal - no, football history and sustainability - no, championships and relevance in sports other than football -no, facilities - no, overall image of the University - no.

Memphis is basically left trying to buy their way in or claiming some systemic bias against them. Unfortunately for Memphis the systemic bias is they are not a very attractive P5 school when rated against their competition on objective metrics.

It is interesting to watch the different approaches of the AAC schools. Cincy is using the "good guy" approach with the tweets from the Cincy Pres and the B12 cocktail hours updates, UH is using the "Big12 is afraid of our football program...yeah I'm calling you out UT" approach. Memphis is using "if you let us in my Dad will pay you a ton of money" approach. UCF/USF are using the "we could really be something more than we are now if given an opportunity" approach.

Why is each school trying to re-shape the evaluatory narrative? Because Cincy, UH, UCF, USF and Memphis probably know a pure numbers based assessment based on their current position puts them behind UConn and BYU as potential expansion choices.

Personally I like UConn's approach best of all which is our numbers speak for themselves. Public lobbying does not make a school a more attractive candidate.....

Reaction Score
I'm actually feeling pretty good about our future. At the Dallas meeting I'm pretty sure the group, which needs anything positive to come out concerning Baylor, will publish a Baylor mathematics department essay stating that in its research it has discovered that if the conference calls itself the Big XII then it mathematically needs 12 members to be accurate. Boren will then show a commission report that proves that with a 12 member conference and a CCG their chances of going to the CF Playoffs increases by at least 12% (there's that number again).

The committee members are extremely pleased with this and vote to expand by 2 teams. This gives Baylor some positive press, and indirectly throws the gauntlet to Delany to check his math.

Boren then explains that this is step one, with the longer term step t/b/a being to add four more teams (cough, cough, FSU, Clemson, Miami, NC State).

As to which teams to invite its obviously UConn and UC. All the others possibilities will be available forever if the future step two t/b/a turns from cough cough to puke puke UH, Memphis, Temple, USF.

Boren then seals the deal by mentioning that they have legally copyrighted the name for the future conference called the SWEET SIXTEEN CONFERENCE. Baylors math department instantly verifies that this would mathematically be correct. In a secret sidebar Boren explains to Texas that their state abbreviation TX is subliminally embedded in the new conference name. Texas is delighted.

My only apprehension is CR Rule number 1. Is that a fact or a myth. I have funded a grant at MIT to research this immediately.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
What, we think it is our right? Unlike BC and Rutgers, we earned it. Look at our championships, including baseball...(granted, we never been to the CWS, but Matt Barnes and George Springer might be in the World Series.

UCONN has in fact been to the CWS, five times. The last was in 1979 IIRC.

Reaction Score
A West Virginia view:
Decision in Dallas: Expansion the topic at Big 12 meetings

>>West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons will be there. Will the Big 12 expand or not? “It is a huge topic. I go to the meeting (this) week in Dallas,” said Lyons, who was in Princeton last Tuesday for the West Virginia Coaches Caravan.

Just don’t expect an answer this week. “Again there is still a lot information we have to gather and digest,” Lyons said. “I don’t anticipate anything happening (this) week. “Do I anticipate anything happening in the next 90 to 180 days? Yeah, I think something will, one way or another.”

Just don’t look for Lyons to make a decision for West Virginia. “Looking at all the information ultimately it is up to the presidents and the presidents have to make that decision, but first you have to have all the information in front of you to do it,” Lyons said. “We are not quite there yet, but I think we are getting closer.”<<

Reaction Score
Fun fact about UConn FB and the BE:

UConn participated as a FB member in the BE from 2004-2013. During this 10 year period UConn won (or shared the Conference Champsionship) twice: 2004 and 2013. That's 20% of the time as my Baylor mathematicians point out.

Yes we had a dead period under FHCPP, but we are back. Yes we have a short time line playing major conference FB but the reality is that UConn, upon a P5 invite, due to its excellence in athletic commitment given the University's accomplishments in sport: MBB, WBB, MS, MH, WFH, MBB, WS, MFB, show that the university breeds excellence in athletics given the chance.

No insider info here, but I dare say the ACC is seriously concerned if UConn gets a Big 12 invite. It essentially marginalizes (if not obsoletes) its northern teams (BCU, Cuse, Pitt). That is not quite a fact, but reality. The B1G, on the other hand, just counts cable fees from RU and Maryland, but really should realize that a powerful UConn (in a P5 conference) could very well dominate NE FB and even eclipse Penn State's history as the northern FB powerhouse. That my friends, even for a homer like me, is a real possibility.

So the whole non decisions by the ACC/B1G could very well bit them in the @ss should the Big 12 turn this northeast powerhouse loose by choosing them, even with the standard 3 year reduced payout and perhaps a mandatory one home game venue of Yankee Stadium or the Meadowlands for a 5 five year period is acceptable.

It's almost as simple as picking Drummond with the 9th pick, when in a do-over he would have been picked second.

ps Yes I am a passionate fan, but as palantine may remind you, if UConn is not P5 by 7/2017 (and I might have to extend that to 7/2018) I will fold my cards and join the RU or TarHeel board (probably associated with several clinical psychiatric sessions in Vienna).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fun fact about UConn FB and the BE:

UConn participated as a FB member in the BE from 2004-2013. During this 10 year period UConn won (or shared the Conference Champsionship) twice: 2004 and 2013. That's 20% of the time as my Baylor mathematicians point out.

Yes we had a dead period under FHCPP, but we are back. Yes we have a short time line playing major conference FB but the reality is that UConn, upon a P5 invite, due to its excellence in athletic commitment given the University's accomplishments in sport: MBB, WBB, MS, MH, WFH, MBB, WS, MFB, show that the university breeds excellence in athletics given the chance.

No insider info here, but I dare say the ACC is seriously concerned if UConn gets a Big 12 invite. It essentially marginalizes (if not obsoletes) its northern teams (BCU, Cuse, Pitt). That is not quite a fact, but reality. The B1G, on the other hand, just counts cable fees from RU and Maryland, but really should realize that a powerful UConn (in a P5 conference) could very well dominate NE FB and even eclipse Penn State's history as the northern FB powerhouse. That my friends, even for a homer like me, is a real possibility.

So the whole non decisions by the ACC/B1G could very well bit them in the @ss should the Big 12 turn this northeast powerhouse loose by choosing them, even with the standard 3 year reduced payout and perhaps a mandatory one home game venue of Yankee Stadium or the Meadowlands for a 5 five year period is acceptable.

It's almost as simple as picking Drummond with the 9th pick, when in a do-over he would have been picked second.

ps Yes I am a passionate fan, but as palantine may remind you, if UConn is not P5 by 7/2017 (and I might have to extend that to 7/2018) I will fold my cards and join the RU or TarHeel board (probably associated with several clinical psychiatric sessions in Vienna).
I like the optimism but you're just giving the lurkers fodder to bring back to their boards either stuff like "we'll eclipse Penn States football history."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom