Big 12 Opening for UConn

Discussion in 'Conference Realignment Board' started by HartbeatHusky, Oct 19, 2011.

1. HartbeatHusky

HartbeatHusky Popular Poster

Connecticut was expected to follow suit to the ACC after Syracuse and Pittsburgh, and while that’s still a possibility, the Big 12 has also opened up as a potential landing spot for the Huskies.
    Calhoun made it clear he is not sitting still and hoping everything just stays the same. He is being proactive as a result of all the changes around him.

“The Big East is special, I am proud to be a member of it. But sometimes what you want is not where you end up being. We are seeing the start of change,” he said. “My obligation to UConn is to be in an advisory capacity and reach out to my friends, particularly in the ACC and Big 12 and see what’s [happening].”

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/32819696

Things are definitely getting interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if the ACC and/or Big 12 are now going in for the kill to make sure that the new additions don't have to wait 27 months in the Big East which could give the BE the chance to recover and counter offer. I'd like to see the Big East come out of this stronger if at all possible but I feel a lot better knowing that we may have options other than the ACC starting to open up. Big 12 Football for UConn would be BC and Cuse's worst nightmare. I think it would be great to go to the Big 12 with WVU, Louisville, Rutgers and Cinci if at all possible. Get the Big 12 to 14 after Mizzou leaves. I'd feel bad for USF though, but oh well.
  2. SAMCRO

SAMCRO Popular Poster

Shoot, now Calhoun is Begging Harder.
    junglehusky, CTMike and HartbeatHusky like this.
  3. HartbeatHusky

#begharder! Big 12 baby. They don't have football insecurities or New England's College Team blackballing us.
  4. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Popular Poster

I could really enjoy the matchups of my alma maters. Hell, I'd probably go to Lawrence every year for either hoops or football. No mistake, as with the B1G, OU or UT is a much bigger home draw than any school in the ACC for football.
    HartbeatHusky likes this.
  5. sportsart

sportsart College Football has stage P5 cancer.

I "know a guy" at ESPN. I called him and now I expect to be a Sportscenter anchor by the end of the week.
  6. HartbeatHusky

The thought of Texas or Oklahoma at the Rent is pretty mind-boggling and much more appealing than the best the ACC could do which would be FSU, Miami, or VT I guess. Let's go Big 12 if we must. Hoops would still be awesome and hopefully would overshadow the ACC. Big 12 tourney rotating between KC and NYC.
  7. HartbeatHusky

Congratulations. You should be all set as long as you begged harder.
    sportsart likes this.
  8. Rumrunner

Rumrunner Popular Poster

If anyone is interested, ESPN has Andy Katz interviewing Swofford at the ACC media day.

Towards the end, at about the 5:40 mark, Andy Katz asks Swofford:

Q:"How much does the ACC want to be the dominant conference from one end to the other along the east coast?"

A: "Well we think that we've taken a terriffic step in being that."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask.../37110/video-acc-commissioner-john-swofford-2
  9. freescooter

freescooter Popular Poster

Doubt it happens but if it did it would be kind of interesting, for sure. Oklahoma, Texas, those would be terrific games to have on a regular basis.
  10. HartbeatHusky

Conferences going to 14 is happening right now so while I think a 16 team ACC is possible at some point in the future the Big 12 going to 14 is definitely not outside the realm of possibility. It would put the Pac 12 in sort of a bind if it resulted in greater stability for the Big 12 and takes pretty much all of the prime targets off of the board for the next round of expansion.

Also, this is probably the only way the Big 12 can get Louisville and WVU soon enough to not fall below 10 teams if they truly do not want to deal with BYU.
  11. rw005

rw005 Popular Poster

Those Iowa State fans must be going nuts because they wanted a "rivalry" with us because of the mascot incident.

Funny :)

ACC or Big 12, I don't care where we go! :p

Only problems with Big 12 has no men soccer program (that I know of), subpar women soccer, interesting Women Basketball program (Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor seem to make the most noise) since Texas A&M left, and solid baseball programs

for men's basketball, I love the teams that we could possibly match up with, imagine Kansas vs. UConn rivalry!

but once again I don't care where we go at this point :p
  12. Butch

Butch Balto's keeper

Big XII is a MUCH better option than the ACC! They better bring Rutgers along with us.
  13. NutmegState

NutmegState Popular Poster

I don't like where this is headed. I feel like Calhoun made that comment because we're not hearing what we want from the ACC. I don't think this is great news.
  14. HartbeatHusky

Or it could just be him letting the ACC know that if they want us they better invite us because we will have options.
  15. UConnSportsGuy

UConnSportsGuy Addicted to all things UCONN!

I think you are all mis-interpreting the quote. I do not think that he is insinuating that UConn is a possiblity with the Big 12. What he is saying is that he is staying in touch with his contacts in the ACC and Big 12 to figure out what is going to happen next. Everyone knows that the Big 12 is looking at expansion...so Calhoun is staying in contact with his Big 12 counterparts to try to get a read on the sitaution. I do not read it as him saying that they are looking at potentially joining the Big 12.

I could be wrong...but I think you are all trying to get something out of that quote that just isn't there.
  16. NutmegState

That's what I'm saying. If Calhoun has to make that kind of statement in the media, I don't think an ACC offer is imminent.
  17. fleudslipcon

fleudslipcon Popular Poster

I'm not taking his comments seriously regarding realignment. He has stated his preferences and his willingness to be active in the process. But his influence and knowledge related to these matters is limited.
  18. NutmegState

Could be that...
  19. HartbeatHusky

Who cares if the Big 12 is possible? I certainly do not. F them.
    Butchy likes this.
  20. HartbeatHusky

The CBS reporter is the one who says that the Big 12 has opened up as a potential landing spot not me. Of course he also could be wrong but I didn't think it was an option just because of JC's quote.
  21. junglehusky

junglehusky Titanius Anglesmith, fancy man of Cornwood

Do you think maybe he misspoke and meant Big Ten? I don't know what to think.
  22. junglehusky

junglehusky Titanius Anglesmith, fancy man of Cornwood

Oh, UConnSportsGuy's probably right. Reading it again, it looks like the reporter interpreted Calhoun's comments and put them in that context. I'm going to email the author and ask him to clarify.

Edit: his email is not given on that page. Would a Yarder out there mind sending him a question? @jeffborzello

Ask him if Calhoun had any other quotes that indicated Big12/UConn interest, or if that comment was about Calhoun making general inquiries about the realignment landscape not specific to UConn in the Big12.
  23. fleudslipcon

fleudslipcon Popular Poster

The B12 is just another possibility just like so many others this board has considered. It was discussed earlier and then ignored.

And now a little quote has stirred the pot again.

A merger of the B12 and the BE for football only would be infinitely better for the BE football schools than the addition of the various teams that people are saying the BE will be inviting. It won't help the B12 however. And Texas is just trying to cobble the best possible arrangement for six years until it gets its network off the ground. I'm in the camp that believes Texas will insist on only ten teams for now.
  24. HartbeatHusky

I'm not sure how expanding into all of the media markets involved wouldn't help the Big 12 or how having enough members to sustain the loss of 4 wouldn't help them either.
  25. 8893

8893 Curiouser

Gee, you think so, Mike? Really going out on a limb there, aren't you?

Man, it must be good to coach for God's school, knowing that the unrivaled deference and concessions afforded to its football team will take care of you no matter what.
  26. sportsart

sportsart College Football has stage P5 cancer.

I think it's time to lock this entire board before a thread starts saying the PAC 12 wants us because Geno said he loves the west coast.
    Excalibur, junglehusky and MattMang23 like this.
  27. businesslawyer

businesslawyer Popular Poster

It all depends on how he defines "landing on our feet." Because if he defines at as holding his seed in a post-season tourney, there is no reason to think he will.
  28. metsfan2323

metsfan2323 Popular Poster

UCONN in the Big 12 is not any crazier than Texas and Oklahoma in the Pac 12 which was openly explored. We would certainly bring them new markets and a better basketball league. We hung with Oklahoma for 3 quarters last year and the refs didn't help us with that missed interference and bad spot in the first quarter.

Plus they probably don't want SMU and Houston in a BCS league.
    HartbeatHusky likes this.
  29. RS9999X

RS9999X There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.

I was surprised when I read Cincy and Louisville. I wasn't surprised at UConn and Rutgers and the NYC market. I thought that this was an obvious move for them months ago. Yankee Stadium games, MSG, and a dynamite brand build out an in area of the country that has little interest in SEC and B12 ball.
  30. RS9999X

RS9999X There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.

It also makes the ACC look a lot less brilliant. SU and BC football will be second rate compared to RU and UConn. A B12 with UConn, Kansas, Texas, and WVU BBall is easily as good as UNC, Duke, SU and Pitt. such a move pretty much negates any ACC advantage in non-ACC markets.
    metsfan2323 and HartbeatHusky like this.
Web Hosting Service by Host Duplex