Big 12 Meetings | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
slmandel 4:51pm via Twitter for iPhone
Bob Bowlsby said the research done by Navigate was based on 10 seasons of data and 40,000 simulations.

slmandel4:53pm via Twitter for iPhone
Simulations included everything from 10 to 16 teams, championship or no championship, 8 or 9 games, how hard the 8 opponents were, etc.

slmandel4:54pm via Twitter for iPhone
Bowlsby: "the Playoff is the topic du jour, but it's far from the only factor" that would determine whether to expand.

40,000 scenarios...and 40,000 seats. Coincidence??

Reaction Score
slmandel 4:51pm via Twitter for iPhone
Bob Bowlsby said the research done by Navigate was based on 10 seasons of data and 40,000 simulations.

slmandel4:53pm via Twitter for iPhone
Simulations included everything from 10 to 16 teams, championship or no championship, 8 or 9 games, how hard the 8 opponents were, etc.

slmandel4:54pm via Twitter for iPhone
Bowlsby: "the Playoff is the topic du jour, but it's far from the only factor" that would determine whether to expand.

Calling all ethical hackers.....

Reaction Score
If football is truly the main determinant to realignment, than I expect UConn not to get a bid to the Big 12. There are just so many better football options let alone the lack of sense UConn makes geographically.

Reaction Score
Jake_Trotter 3:44pm via Twitter for iPhone
The Navigate Research folks have arrived. Will be presenting to Big 12 ADs, football coaches in the next half hour or so.

Meet the Navigate Research Team:

Benedict160301a077.jpg

Reaction Score
Joe D is asking if UConn should take a B12 offer or wait for a better opportunity. Gresh says Cincy and Memphis are the best fits. That's about all you need to know.

Jesus do these clowns even consider the concept of a bird in hand? So I say to the guy lost in the desert and dying of thirst, "would you like an ice cold Pepsi to wash down all the sand you've been eating?" Guy- "F no I only drink Coke." That guy died 30 seconds later.

Reaction Score
Joe D is asking if UConn should take a B12 offer or wait for a better opportunity. Gresh says Cincy and Memphis are the best fits. That's about all you need to know.

I stopped listening before that gem.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Good Lord. Gresh is so lost, I feel bad for him. If he wasn't such a colossal assh a t then maybe I would.

Joe D should know better. He attends every single UConn game. He's seen attendance drop in large part due to garbage conference affiliation. He was there in the Big East years when we had 40K packed into the Rent and sold-out XL Center and Gampel Pavilions on a regular basis. But he wants us to "wait for better"??? I expect more from him.

Reaction Score
They still don't understand the whole grant of rights thing - or don't take it seriously at the very least.

Hearing them say that UConn might not be better off in the Big 12 because what happens if Texas or Oklahoma ever leave and you're "stuck" with just West Virginia and a bunch of Texas schools and Kansas was painful. Doesn't Joe D look around at the football stadiums or basketball arenas he hits on the road?

Dear god.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Good Lord. Gresh is so lost, I feel bad for him. If he wasn't such a colossal assh a t then maybe I would.

Joe D should know better. He attends every single UConn game. He's seen attendance drop in large part due to garbage conference affiliation. He was there in the Big East years when we had 40K packed into the Rent and sold-out XL Center and Gampel Pavilions on a regular basis. But he wants us to "wait for better"??? I expect more from him.
So much this.

Reaction Score

To be fair I think the attendance drop is more a result of the lack of wins in the "P" years than conference affiliation. Give the fans good seasons and they will come no matter what. If we were in a better conference those years it could have been worse.
As much as I would love to be in a P-5 conference, I am getting bad vibes from the retweets people are posting on this board. It gives me the gut feeling that we are on the outside looking in. I'm kind of hoping that this gets pushed off another year and we have a breakout football season this year to move us up a couple of rungs.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
They still don't understand the whole grant of rights thing - or don't take it seriously at the very least.

Hearing them say that UConn might not be better off in the Big 12 because what happens if Texas or Oklahoma ever leave and you're "stuck" with just West Virginia and a bunch of Texas schools and Kansas was painful. Doesn't Joe D look around at the football stadiums or basketball arenas he hits on the road?

Dear god.
There's a line in the Thomas Crown Affair when Pierce Brosnan and Renee Russo are deciding to split town. He says something along the lines of "...but we'd be fugitives with means, and that makes all the difference in the world."

Yeah if we are gonna be stuck somewhere, stuck in B12 >>>>>>>>>>>> stuck in AAC. How is that not obvious?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You know, initially I said to myself that Joe D is an idiot how could he not know better.

Then, while the point still stands, over the past few years I've 'learned' more about market penetration, grant of rights, DMAs, research budgets, non disclosure agreements and for the 161,827 time why ND won't join a league.

I think it's safe to say our obsession has clouded our view of what the general public should know or does know.

Reaction Score
Gresh doesn't pretend not to be ill informed on most topics, but Joe D has his own minutes of abject ignorance to blatant stupidity especially with football broadcasts. One of the better examples being D'Ambrosio referring to Iowa State as the Hawkeyes during Division 1-transitioning UConn's 37-20 triumph in Ames.

Sometime in the 3rd quarter, someone with more knowledge clued Joe D in the Huskies were actually playing against the Cyclones. Yup, it left an impression during and since UConn's huge upset.

Reaction Score
One conference official told me, “the only ones talking about expansion or adding a title game is the media. We aren’t looking at any of this stuff right now. What we have to do is a better job of selling ourselves. We had a great year.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article75695597.html#storylink=cpy

Un-named "conference officials" are always the best source...

Sure looks/sounds like they are looking @ stuff: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...game-championship-new-teams-schools/83949584/

Reaction Score
One conference official told me, “the only ones talking about expansion or adding a title game is the media. We aren’t looking at any of this stuff right now. What we have to do is a better job of selling ourselves. We had a great year.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article75695597.html#storylink=cpy

Nice try on the part of that conference official, but their own commissioner says that a title game and expansion is being discussed:

“If we do nothing, we’ll be substantially behind a decade from now,” Bowlsby said.

Against that backdrop, can the Big 12 afford to stand pat with its 10 members and embrace the status quo?

"Well, you only do nothing if you have your eyes wide open about what the implications are," Bowlsby said.

Bowlsby confirmed Wednesday that BHV is talking with the conference TV partners gathering information in case the conference has to expand and redo its TV contracts with Fox and ESPN, which run through 2024-25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom